Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lanz Bulldog ...anoraks only

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Single cylinder, two stroke 10.000 (!) cc, 20 hp crude oil engine.
    8 minutes of preheating, no reverse gear, change engine rotation instead.

watch this:
    http://www.clipfish.de/player.php?videoid=MzA0ODMyfDE2

ignore the babble, just listen, when it (finally :D ) gets going (@ 1.55 mins)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sehr gut - that yoke sounds like its got loads of torque!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Runs on crude oil :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Is that 10 point 000 cc or 10 thousand cc (10 litres)? I'm guessing the latter.

I love the simplicity of those old engines. Want to go backwards, start it backwards!
    When I worked in the plant hire business we had rollers with single cylinder 4 stroke diesels that would start backwards fairly regularly. Would run regardless, albeit backwards, and we'd probably never be told only they had an oil bath air filter which suddenly became the exhaust and would go on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Would you believe, I nearly bought a Lanz Bulldog c.1989 !

I've owned a few vintage tractors over the years and my first such purchase nearly was a Bulldog.

It was left in a field for over 20 years with a cracked engine block. My father asked the farmer to sell it and he said he would....for £50! Happy days I thought.
    We said we would be back the following Saturday with a tractor and trailer to collect it. On the intervening Tuesday night my uncle was passing the farmers land and saw several guys with a tractor/trailer combination loading up the Bulldog - at night, under spotlights?!!
    Obviously the farmer got a better offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Chrrrisssttt..... She'd be some yoke for buckin' up silage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Semi diesel single cylinders were all the rage in mainland europe for many many years.

Both Ferruccio Lamborghini and Dr. Ferdinland Porsche built these tractors, as did Mercedes Benz. Lanz were definately the best known for the technology though, and the Lanz Eil Bulldog was capable of about 20mph, and was years ahead of its time:
    lanzeilroed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In large parts of Germany (and especially in the south), "Bulldog" still is the generic name for tractor, whatever the make or vintage.

You don't go and get the tractor out of the shed, you get the Bulldog (pronounced "bulldogg" :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

peasant wrote:
    In large parts of Germany (and especially in the south), "Bulldog" still is the generic name for tractor, whatever the make or vintage.

You don't go and get the tractor out of the shed, you get the Bulldog (pronounced "bulldogg" :D )

Interesting they never really took off here or in the UK. The Field Marshall was reasonably popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

here's another one:

with slight problems getting it into the right gear :D

Advertisement