Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an LCD

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

It's time I bit the bullet and realised that this 6 year old 19" CRT is nearing end of life. So I want to get a good LCD - preferably widescreen tho that's optional.

So what do I want it for? Gaming really. I do college work etc on it as well but any old screen would do for that. But for gaming ... currently WoW mainly but UT3 is coming out soon (well this century anyway :D) so I reckon 8ms or better is acceptable (correct me if I'm wrong).

What card you say? Radeon 9800 Pro.
    I currently have a crappy old 15" LCD (ancient PoS) on the DVI port and the above-mentioned 19" CRT on the VGA port. I will want to put the new one on the DVI port to maximise it's potential which means putting this old LCD on to the VGA port. Anyone ever used a VGA to DVI converter? Do they work. This screen will only be for Firefox and IRC while I'm gaming so it doesn't need anything special. Komplett have this.

I was looking at this one but it's only vga connector. Does that make a huge difference? Would I gain a lot more from getting a DVI one? This is an area where I freely admit to being a noob :D

So can anyone recommend a good one. Make, model, contrast ratio, response time etc. I'm looking to spend 200-250 on it but might stretch up to 300. That price would bring this into range - it looks pretty. I'm also not married to Komplett so any other vendors are accepted :)

TIA for the advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Okay first off with a 9800 Pro you will not be able to play current games at the native resolution of high end displays (the maximum it supports) in situations like that it scales the image down to the lower resolution causing a slight blurring effect but that is live able with as the scaling has gotten a lot better over the years.

DVI-VGA converters do work as long as the graphics cards port is DVI-I which practically all are. DVI-I supports DVI-D and DVI-A, you would be guessing correctly that DVI-A is an analogue signal and what the DVI-VGA adapters use to convert into the VGA interface.

This is one of the best gaming 1280x1024 displays on the market the BenQ FP93GX which I would strongly recommend in your case. Comes with DVI & VGA so both connectors are covered.

The Acer widescreen is a decent budget display also suitable for gaming though of course VGA only, fine for World of Warcraft & older games but I doubt UT3 would run at the native resolution without a bump in GPU power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks 8T8. I actually am planning on building a whole new PC before UT3 comes out anyway (SSIA maturing in April :D). This is just a monitor upgrade prior to that.

As for the convertor - it's not for this monitor - it's for the crappy 15" that I have which is DVI only - I want to put that on the VGA port and have the new one on the DVI port.

That BenQ one does look but I might go for the widescreen option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well there lies the tricky part the display should be DVI-I as well but on the off chance it is quite old and hence an early generation DVI display it may support DVI-D only which would mean DVI-VGA converter won't work.

Still that's only a theory the only real way is to try it and see, there are ways around that if the worst happens anyway.

Advertisement