Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iraq: Insurgency or Patriotism?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

So, the U.S. invades a country, installs a government (fair enough, there was a democratic election) and then calls anyone who disagrees with this government "Insurgents".
    I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach this crap.
    If Ireland was to be invaded in the morning (yes, pedants, I know it is not going to happen), I wouldn't stand by and watch some foreign power install their will on my country.
    Does this make me a patriot or am I an insurgent?
    Should the Iraqi people lay down and just say "ok, america. you have beaten us. what do you want us to do next"?, or should they stand up and say "hey, we were quite happy here. you killed twice as many civilians as hussein did. Who do you think you are coming in here telling us how to live our lives and installing another puppet* regime?"

*debatable.

My take is that the so called insuregents are well within their rights to defend their homeland and I would do the same were any country to invade here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

interesting debate coming about the use and misuse of language in wartime

Do the official American sources (I suppose we are talking US Army spokesmen here) call all of the various combatant forces 'insurgents'?

Or do they differentiate between former Baathists (Iraqi), Al Qaeda jiahdists (foreign), Kurdish peshmerga, criminal bands, tribal armies, messianic doomsday cults, private Shiite militias and Iranian proxies?

it's enough to make your head spin

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Terry wrote:
    So, the U.S. invades a country, installs a government (fair enough, there was a democratic election) and then calls anyone who disagrees with this government "Insurgents".
    I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach this crap.
    If Ireland was to be invaded in the morning (yes, pedants, I know it is not going to happen), I wouldn't stand by and watch some foreign power install their will on my country.

That would depend. In your hypothetical scenario, would you be murdering thousands of Irish civilians a year in bombings and shootings? (on say, a Catholic/Protestant divide in that example)
    Far as I can see, a lot of the insurgency in Iraq seems to involve low-level sectarian civil war.
    Do the official American sources (I suppose we are talking US Army spokesmen here) call all of the various combatant forces 'insurgents'?

I think the usual euphemism these days is "Anti-Iraqi forces", convienient bit of PR there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Terry wrote:
    then calls anyone who disagrees with this government "Insurgents".
    Well, technically, anyone who fights the people in power is an insurgent.

Calling all insurgents terrorists is maybe a more relevant question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

I don't think it counts if most of the insurgents aren't actually Iraqi, and if many of the insurgent groups go out of their way to kill Iraqi's and spark internal wars, rather than attacking the foreign oppressors all the time. I don't think too many American soldiers do be out in the Baghdad markets buying some oranges when those multiple car bombs kill 50 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Judt wrote:
    I don't think it counts if most of the insurgents aren't actually Iraqi,

Do you think it "counts" if the vast majority are Iraqi, as is the case here?
    and if many of the insurgent groups go out of their way to kill Iraqi's and spark internal wars, rather than attacking the foreign oppressors all the time.

Different people are doing different things for different reasons.
    There is evidence and it's quite likely that the US and UK intentionally sparked the civil war.

• Advertisement

sovtek wrote:
    Judt wrote:
    There is evidence and it's quite likely that the US and UK intentionally sparked the civil war.

source please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

terrorists can't be patriots? terrorism is a method, not a mindset and to be honest, it's not all that more brutal than dropping 'smart' bombs or cluster bombs on civilian areas. Killing is killing, america has never been so desperate and poor that they have had to resort to the methods of murder that arab insurgents have. if the Un wanted to arm all these terrorist groups with the same level of arms that the Us and Uk army has and give them training and resources to build proper armies or militias we probably wouldn't see any of these suicide bombings and intentional murder of civilian populations to make a point but then we would see far more civilian deaths as a result of 'collateral damage' and the occasional massacre which could then be washed away as a natural, but regretful incident of war.

these insurgents and terrorists are just using what they have to do whatever they can in service to their goals, whatever they may be.. as sovtek said different people are doing different things for different reasons. The main difference between the armies of the west and the insurgencies of the arabic world is that the insurgencies are desperate, and their anger towards western imperialism is being fanned into out and out hatred whereas the west is impassionate, and able to muster large numbers of disposable heroes for their cause.

sovtek wrote:

source please?

It's been quoted many times before so I'm not bothered to go look for it again.
    Basically the SAS were arrested by Iraqi police a few years back and then "rescued" by the British forces from a jail. It included a tank basically knocking the jail down. The Iraqi police claim that they caught them dressed as natives and their vehicle was wired with explosives.
    As well Muqta Al Sadr became a big boogey man when his newspaper claimed that the CIA was fomenting civil war to head off the insurgency. When that happened ol Paul had it closed and tried to have Sadr arrested. So much for proving him wrong.

Mordeth wrote:
    terrorists can't be patriots? terrorism is a method, not a mindset and to be honest, it's not all that more brutal than dropping 'smart' bombs or cluster bombs on civilian areas. Killing is killing, america has never been so desperate and poor that they have had to resort to the methods of murder that arab insurgents have. if the Un wanted to arm all these terrorist groups with the same level of arms that the Us and Uk army has and give them training and resources to build proper armies or militias we probably wouldn't see any of these suicide bombings and intentional murder of civilian populations to make a point but then we would see far more civilian deaths as a result of 'collateral damage' and the occasional massacre which could then be washed away as a natural, but regretful incident of war.

I don't agree with this at all. I think both would be worse.

Dying as a shaheed (martyr) in a suicide bombing is considered to be the greatest thing you can possibly do with your life by many young muslim extremists. I don't think equipping them with equivalent technology to Western Armies would change this religiously motivated death wish.
    Technological parity didn't stop kamikaze bombers in WW2.

Equally the intentional murder of civilians is religiously motivated - the Sunni extremists see Shiites as apostates, deserving of death under their religious code. This is mandated by Allah (in their eyes).
    The Shiite extremists are striking back, hence the civil war extant in large parts of Iraq.

I fear you have misunderstood the nature of the insurgency - it is in no way some kind of 'patriotic' Iraqi movement. In fact there is no such thing as 'Iraq', only a collection of tribes and religious groupings who hate each other even more intensely than they hate the Americans. They just happen to inhabit a patch of land that Western powers decreed to be a place called 'Iraq'.

Religious fanaticism is the main driver of the violence in Iraq, not patriotism (certainly as we Westerners understand it). It is foolish and wrong-headed to try and understand Iraqi motivations through the prism of our Western outlook.

Flame away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭FYI

Judt wrote:
    I don't think it counts if most of the insurgents aren't actually Iraqi, and if many of the insurgent groups go out of their way to kill Iraqi's and spark internal wars, rather than attacking the foreign oppressors all the time. I don't think too many American soldiers do be out in the Baghdad markets buying some oranges when those multiple car bombs kill 50 people.

If you want to characterise the insurgency as anything it's best to know who they are principally attacking.

According to the Multinational Force Iraq: 2006 (report), attacks by insurgents are predominantly aimed at coalition forces.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5052138.stm

But since coalition forces are obviously better equipped.

"Although about 80% of insurgent attacks are targeted against coalition forces, the Iraqi population suffers about 80% of all casualties, according to US officials in late 2005."

In reality the insurgents would be more accurately described as counter-insurgents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Mordeth wrote:

these insurgents and terrorists are just using what they have to do whatever they can in service to their goals, whatever they may be.. as sovtek said different people are doing different things for different reasons. The main difference between the armies of the west and the insurgencies of the arabic world is that the insurgencies are desperate, and their anger towards western imperialism is being fanned into out and out hatred whereas the west is impassionate, and able to muster large numbers of disposable heroes for their cause.

The west is not impassionate, in fact the military is very much encumbered by the compassion of their citizens. The giant homoginized american army is fully aware that it is under the constant watch of the media and other civlian authorities. They make constant fumbled attempts at winning over the iraqi general population, they try to bomb military targets but they invariably make mistakes. They suffer from a lack of collective experience and training in occupation. It is a large homogenic force designed to fight cold wars against super powers, not to keep the peace in a civil war. They are tragically sloppy in many instances but at the end of the day they generally mean well. Does this make their actions forgivable? Not really. Does this make them evil? Certainly not. I'm not saying every soilder is a saint, but they are not simply terrorists with better guns and comparitivly they treat the population far better then most invading orginised middle eastern armys would.

And whats this about the militants being desperate? They are the remaining cause of many problems in iraq. If they didn't operate against civilians and other factions the americans would have mostly left by now and the remainder would have retreated to a small number of detached military bases just like they did in japan, west germany and south korea. All of which are now model economic nations.

Tell me where is the desperation? the occupying response is equivicable to the insurgent attacks. Attacks go up, more troops enter. These are political and cultural disputes, not a matter of survival.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Terrorism" and insurgency have always played a part on the fringes of almost all wars. The US even used the tactic of guerilla warfare during the US war of independence and we Irish used it against Britain in our war of independence.

However it wasn't as notable in the past because it usually played a very minor part of a much bigger war, where far more people (both military and civilians) were killed due to standard military operations.

It is far more noticeable in Iraq, because the standard military operations ended so quickly and the "terrorism" and insurgency is all that is left.

In Iraq there are really two wars going on.
    There is a relatively minor insurgency going on against the US and there is the much more serious and dangerous civil war going on between Sunni and Shia militias.

Kaiser_Sma wrote:

"The west is not impassionate, in fact the military is very much encumbered by the compassion of their citizens. The giant homoginized american army is fully aware that it is under the constant watch of the media and other civlian authorities."

And what actual impact does this have? Did thousands of people not march against the war? Were they not ignored? The media tend to follow the government line on these things. In fact, I believe there was an independent study into media coverage of the lead up to the war, it found that the media were generally pro-government on the issue, even the supposed 'liberal' media. This didn't really change a whole lot until the 'reality' was revealed. That which should have been, and was, obvious prior to the invasion. Even since then, we haven't seen any massive swing in media coverage, it is, as is pointed out by many media commentators, 'how can we do better?, the highschool newspaper stance.

The majority of people are now firmly against the war and continued occupation, yet troop numbers increase! And the media has now begun it's assault on Iraq's neighbour! Without even the tiny shreds of 'evidence' they supposedly had prior to Iraq.

"They make constant fumbled attempts at winning over the iraqi general population, they try to bomb military targets but they invariably make mistakes. They suffer from a lack of collective experience and training in occupation. It is a large homogenic force designed to fight cold wars against super powers, not to keep the peace in a civil war. They are tragically sloppy in many instances but at the end of the day they generally mean well."

This is the most apologetic summary of the Iraq war I have ever seen, even from the pro-war camp. A completely benevolent force, trying to 'do good' in tough circumstances. Absolutely without foundation, a fantasy.

No one is making the argument that each coalition soldier is evil. What we can say with some certainty is that the war was based on false pretences (read: lies). It has cost 650,000+ Iraqi lives. It has destroyed Iraqi infrastructure. It's natural resources are about to be divided up between the victors. And billions have been stolen by foreign corporations.

"comparitivly they treat the population far better then most invading orginised middle eastern armys would."

What like the Iraq invasion of Iran? Saddam's culling of his own people? Who supported that then? Answer: 'the West'

"And whats this about the militants being desperate? They are the remaining cause of many problems in iraq."

Again, a complete inversion of the truth. It is the +occupiers+ that continue the violence, see any recent opinion poll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It started out predominantly as a simple patriotic issue, at which point they were pretty much guerilla forces. The "Anti-Iraqi-Forces" thing, which I agree is silly, pre-dates any elections. FWIW, I always referred to them as "insurgents" or "the opposition"

After the elections, I think a lot of the 'patriotism' argument loses weight. A lot of them aren't so worried about kicking the Coalition out as they are about the shape of Iraq: Many of the groups are very much pro-Iraq as a nation, they're just "Anti-Any-Iraq-That-Isn't-Run-The-Way-We-Want-It-To-Be-Run" as a concept. As a result, we now have gang warfare that isn't based upon patriotism, it's based upon prejudice, old animosities, and power.
    In Iraq there are really two wars going on.
    There is a relatively minor insurgency going on against the US and there is the much more serious and dangerous civil war going on between Sunni and Shia militias.

What he said. The 'patriotic' war is a sideshow, and ultimately, irrelevant. If the internecine fight can be stopped, the other will be soon enough as well as any major need for troop presence is removed. If it can't be stopped, then it doesn't matter who claims to control the country in the first place. FYI's quote about the 80% of attacks being focused on Americans is (a) out of date, as the current round of internecine violence was started in Feb 2006 by the Mosque bombing, after the dates covered by that report, and (b ) irrelevant as any insurgency is primarily based around a political goal, so appearances are what count: The appearance is that the internecine fighting is a lot more serious than any anti-invader fighting.

What 'event' would make you think that the people had regained control of the country, and were no longer puppets of the foreign power? Where's the dividing line? Are the coalition not trying to get to that dividing line, so they can go home?

NTM

As a result, we now have gang warfare that isn't based upon patriotism, it's based upon prejudice, old animosities, and power.

...FYI's quote about the 80% of attacks being focused on Americans is (a) out of date, as the current round of internecine violence was started in Feb 2006 by the Mosque bombing, after the dates covered by that report, and (b ) irrelevant as any insurgency is primarily based around a political goal, so appearances are what count: The appearance is that the internecine fighting is a lot more serious than any anti-invader fighting.

...What 'event' would make you think that the people had regained control of the country, and were no longer puppets of the foreign power? Where's the dividing line? Are the coalition not trying to get to that dividing line, so they can go home?

The Iraqi resistance is predominantly that, a resistance. It is of course now split in some ways along sectarian lines. But Iraq is not that simple. Prior to the war Iraqis often married beyond these lines. The occupation has exacerbated tensions.

No offence Manic, but you didn't actually follow the link to the statistics did you? You would of course have noticed that while the figures are out of date, as are any figures published in the +past+. But they are not as you suggest actually 'out of date' in the sense they are unrepresentative. Check the dates!

Your assertions are simply that, assertions. No facts are offered to support them.

What event? Are you for real? Once Iraq is no longer occupied by a foreign power, that currently holds the right to arrest, imprison, kill anyone they wish with impunity, then they are on the road to independence.

'Dividing line', what does that mean? The occupiers will go home when either a) they have installed a puppet regime which will pander to US interests, or b) when they get booted out.

What 'event' would make you think that the people had regained control of the country, and were no longer puppets of the foreign power? Where's the dividing line? Are the coalition not trying to get to that dividing line, so they can go home?
    NTM

I remember Maliki saying he would ask for a timetable for withdrawal from the Amricans...and as quickly dropped that when he got a lot of shaking heads from the US.

FYI wrote:

No offence Manic, but you didn't actually follow the link to the statistics did you? You would of course have noticed that while the figures are out of date, as are any figures published in the +past+. But they are not as you suggest actually 'out of date' in the sense they are unrepresentative. Check the dates!

I think there's a poll from the last year that showed that the overwhelming majority of Iraqi's support attacks on US troops.
    That would suggest the figures aren't that out of date or irrelevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

FYI wrote:

The one time I don't click on a link... Still, the 80-80 statement is invalid given the fact that since Nov 2005, the amount of 'red' on those graphs is going down, and the amount of 'yellow' and 'orange' is increasing until the data stops in July. I think it would also be hard to argue that the scale of attacks on civilians have not been increasing in the months after those figures stop.
    What event? Are you for real? Once Iraq is no longer occupied by a foreign power, that currently holds the right to arrest, imprison, kill anyone they wish with impunity, then they are on the road to independence.

You are suffering the same flaw as a lot of the insurgent groups. You are quite vocal about what you don't want, but not very vocal about what you do want, or the practicalities behind how to get there. It's all very well saying 'Invaders out', but in order for that to occur, there should be some structure. Without proposing what that structure is, or how that structure is to stand, such as holding elections and having a government which can support itself, the 'invaders out' desire is pretty redundant. Of course, I guess you can always go the Somalia route, have external factors leave and just let the people fight it out for a few years until finally someone gets in charge by force alone.
    'Dividing line', what does that mean? The occupiers will go home when either a) they have installed a puppet regime which will pander to US interests, or b) when they get booted out.

What's the difference between a puppet regime which was elected by the people, and a non-puppet regime which was elected by the people?

You omit option c), which is 'The occupiers go home when a government acceptable to the country at large is capable of operating and supporting itself'

NTM

The one time I don't click on a link... Still, the 80-80 statement is invalid given the fact that since Nov 2005, the amount of 'red' on those graphs is going down, and the amount of 'yellow' and 'orange' is increasing until the data stops in July. I think it would also be hard to argue that the scale of attacks on civilians have not been increasing in the months after those figures stop.

You're not going to be able to squirm out of that one I'm afraid. You sought to hammer the facts around your already 'concrete' preconceptions, and it isn't going to work.
    You are quite vocal about what you don't want, but not very vocal about what you do want, or the practicalities behind how to get there. It's all very well saying 'Invaders out', but in order for that to occur, there should be some structure.

to which you supply the 'practicalities':
    option c), which is 'The occupiers go home when a government acceptable to the country at large is capable of operating and supporting itself'

So what you suggest, is that the same coalition that has illegal invaded and occupied a country, and in the process caused the deaths of 650,000+ people, is in the best position to stabilise a country, the violence of which engulfs it is predominantly a) caused by and b) exacerbated by, that same force. The same force that is now, in no uncertain terms, threatening a neighbouring country, and regionally two more. That again is fanciful.

I'll suggest one option, not one that will happen, or perhaps one that isn't really viable, but still far better than the one you propose.

The coalition of the 'willing' plead to the UN for international assistance, in the event it is offered, the coalition will finance for the most part any peace keeping force as well as all infrastructural reconstruction. The relinquish control and future control of Iraq's natural resources back to the people.
    What's the difference between a puppet regime which was elected by the people, and a non-puppet regime which was elected by the people?

When the occupying power controls who gets into power and then decides what powers they should have, and later when that power has served it's purpose, then you can be reasonably sure the government is a puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Terry wrote:

My take is that the so called insuregents are well within their rights to defend their homeland and I would do the same were any country to invade here.

I agree that people have the right to defend their homeland but there is a difference between taking on an invading army (real or imagined - I won't go into that debate) and killing your countrymen at the local market

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

You are suffering the same flaw as a lot of the insurgent groups. You are quite vocal about what you don't want, but not very vocal about what you do want, or the practicalities behind how to get there. It's all very well saying 'Invaders out', but in order for that to occur, there should be some structure. Without proposing what that structure is, or how that structure is to stand, such as holding elections and having a government which can support itself, the 'invaders out' desire is pretty redundant.

To be honest, if you change the word insurgent to Saddam, you have pretty much the amount of forward planning that Bush and Blair seem to have shown at the start of this whole mess.

I think that there will be some insurgents who think that they are patrioctic, (and that horrific crime that the US soldier got convicted of yeasterday wouldn't help matters along there) but I think there a wide varity or 'wars' currently playing out in Iraq at the moment.

FYI wrote:
    The majority of people are now firmly against the war and continued occupation, yet troop numbers increase! And the media has now begun it's assault on Iraq's neighbour! Without even the tiny shreds of 'evidence' they supposedly had prior to Iraq.

I am aware of the shifting oppinions on the war, but just because the occupation hasn't ceased does not mean public oppinion isn't illiciting pressure on the military. The troops are flooding in because their is a desperate need to finish the war as quickly as possible. All the promises of time frames and 'final surges' weaken their position substantially. Any millitant with his eyes open can tell the american position is tenuous, they have to leave soon yet they can't afford another vietnam.
    This is the most apologetic summary of the Iraq war I have ever seen, even from the pro-war camp. A completely benevolent force, trying to 'do good' in tough circumstances. Absolutely without foundation, a fantasy.

I said that they weren't saints. They are not benovolent as such they are at the end of the day an armed force designed to wage war and to some extent deal with the results.

here is an example of americans giving out gifts to iraqi civillians. Small compensation for what happend to them and not the correct way to gain the trust of civillians but never the less it cooberates my theory.
    No one is making the argument that each coalition soldier is evil. What we can say with some certainty is that the war was based on false pretences (read: lies). It has cost 650,000+ Iraqi lives. It has destroyed Iraqi infrastructure. It's natural resources are about to be divided up between the victors. And billions have been stolen by foreign corporations.

False pretences yes, that was the biggest political blunder of this century to date, i don't doubht that. Regardless of the causes of this war, it is happening and it was going to happen sooner or later. I'm not trying to support any political decision to start the war and i'm not pro war. Modern conflicts are never as clear cut as many would like to believe. Their are a myriad of sides in this conflict and you'd be hard pressed to find any of them in the definitive right, besides the civillians in between. The natural resources do not cover the cost of the war and what do you mean by foreign corporations stealing billions?
    What like the Iraq invasion of Iran? Saddam's culling of his own people? Who supported that then? Answer: 'the West'

Yes and its very easy to believe that there was a stereotypical fat cat pulling the puppet strings of every soilder while they comitted those war crimes. Throwing money at someone doesn't instantaneously make them a murderer.
    Again, a complete inversion of the truth. It is the +occupiers+ that continue the violence, see any recent opinion poll.

Show me

Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    I am aware of the shifting oppinions on the war, but just because the occupation hasn't ceased does not mean public oppinion isn't illiciting pressure on the military. The troops are flooding in because their is a desperate need to finish the war as quickly as possible. All the promises of time frames and 'final surges' weaken their position substantially. Any millitant with his eyes open can tell the american position is tenuous, they have to leave soon yet they can't afford another vietnam.

Militant, insurgent, freedom fighters, whatever huh?

The fact of the matter is, that whatever you want to call the Iraqi resistance. It is home grown, it is a resistance. It is a product of coalition invasion, and therefore opposed to it in some form or other. Though some fight for what they have been given, some fight for what has been taken away, they all fight for independence.
    Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    here is an example of americans giving out gifts to iraqi civillians. Small compensation for what happend to them and not the correct way to gain the trust of civillians but never the less it cooberates my theory.

A little bit of propaganda never hurt anyone huh?
    Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    [The natural resources do not cover the cost of the war and what do you mean by foreign corporations stealing billions?

???????????

No time to check the accuracy of this, but's it's probably not too far off the mark:

"The total value of Iraq potential oil reserves at an average profit of $75 per barrel over next 100 years would be 360 billion x $75 = $27 trillion ... These calculations do not include natural gas revenue, lately about equal to oil revenue for producing fields."

http://www.auburn.edu/~thomph1/iraq.htm

From 2003:

"A staggering US$4 billion in oil revenues and other Iraqi funds earmarked for the reconstruction of the country has disappeared into opaque bank accounts administered by the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), the US-controlled body that rules Iraq. By the end of the year, if nothing changes in the way this cash is accounted for, that figure will double."

http://www.christian-aid.org.uk/news/media/pressrel/031023p.htm

"Dr Ali Fadhil, a 29 year old Iraqi doctor, investigates what has happened to billions of dollars worth of Iraqi money which was put into the care of the US led coalition to be spent for the benefit of Iraqi people on the reconstruction of their country. He uncovers a shocking story of fraud, incompetence and corruption, unscrupulous foreign contractors who made millions from dodgy contracts, and literally billions of dollars which cannot be properly accounted for"

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12499.htm

From 2005:

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Nearly $9 billion of money spent on Iraqi reconstruction is unaccounted for because of inefficiencies and bad management, according to a watchdog report published Sunday."

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.audit/
    Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    Show me

I'm not doing your research for you. But I'll make it easier for you, here's a link, you should find it interesting:

http://www.iraqanalysis.org/info/55

A detailed discussion of 'the confusion' here:

On Supporting The Iraqi Resistance
    23Feb07

Iraqi insurgents’ claim to be “fighting for the liberation of their country” is, according to Prime Minister Tony Blair, “a palpable lie.” Let’s leave aside for a moment the question of whether it is appropriate for Blair, a man who deceived his country into an illegal war, to accuse others of lying. More important is that in one respect, he is right: it does indeed seem “palpable” (i.e. clear or obvious) to most people that the Iraqi resistance has no legitimacy. Rather, the insurgents are just a bunch of crazy-psycho-terrorists who hate democracy and freedom so much that they are willing to kill other Iraqis to fight it. It is not difficult to see how people could have got that impression.

On October 30, 2003, the chief foreign policy commentator for the liberal New York Times, Thomas Friedman, wrote:

continued...

http://heathlander.wordpress.com/2007/02/23/on-supporting-the-iraqi-resistance/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Some interesting pionts here however here is the thing. Lets say Pre-2003 Im an Iraqi and my life not great but there is a semblance of Law and Order and saddam tells my Sanctions are why we are so poor.

The Allies invade and remove all semblance of normality and do not make things better in any reasonable time frame. I have no job no prospects and see the americans / allies as causing this. Not to mention so other tribes in this mess are now killing my kin as what law stops them.

I am now tempted to see the invasion as the root of these problems, not happy with the sit back and wait for us to make it all better approach I become radical.

Now if anyone close to me is injured or killed by either the opposing sunni/shia or the allies in intervening I am going to flip and find myself an AK. Once I become violent the americans/UK will try and stop me which makes them an enemy.

So maybe I do become a pyscho-terrorist , but at the end of the day who made me into one.

I think the allies should have played a much longer game here when they first invaded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Terry wrote:

Why?

When France was liberated by the US and UK forces during the second world war do you think the French should have risen up and started attacking the US forces as they rolled through Paris?
    Terry wrote:
    Should the Iraqi people lay down and just say "ok, america. you have beaten us. what do you want us to do next"?, or should they stand up and say "hey, we were quite happy here. you killed twice as many civilians as hussein did. Who do you think you are coming in here telling us how to live our lives and installing another puppet* regime?"

Well they aren't actually saying either of those things.

They are saying "we want power, out of our fecking way America"

The fighting in Iraq is a civil war, and each side is attempting to gain as much power as they can. Both sides view the American backed government and US Army as in the way of that.

But I wouldn't be under any romantic illusions that these are patriotic freedom fighters attempting to remove an occupying force. Most the violence seems to be carried out against other Iraqi citizens.

I never supported the war because it was blindingly obvious that this would happen, that once Saddam was removed a massive power vaccum would be created.
    Terry wrote:
    My take is that the so called insuregents are well within their rights to defend their homeland
    They aren't defending their home land, their home land isn't under attack. They are engaged in a civil war.

Wicknight wrote:
    When France was liberated by the US and UK forces during the second world war do you think the French should have risen up and started attacking the US forces as they rolled through Paris?

What logical gymnastics did you have to perform to come up with that analogy?

Was Iraq occupied by a foreign invading force prior to the coalition's illegal invasion?
    Wicknight wrote:
    They aren't defending their home land, their home land isn't under attack. They are engaged in a civil war.

"Page 1, Chapter 1 of the Iraq Study Group report lays out Iraq's importance to its region, the U.S. and the world with this reminder: "It has the world's second-largest known oil reserves." The group then proceeds to give very specific and radical recommendations as to what the United States should do to secure those reserves. If the proposals are followed, Iraq's national oil industry will be commercialized and opened to foreign firms."

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/oil/2006/1208stillabout.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kaiser_Sma wrote:
    The west is not impassionate, in fact the military is very much encumbered by the compassion of their citizens. The giant homoginized american army is fully aware that it is under the constant watch of the media and other civlian authorities. They make constant fumbled attempts at winning over the iraqi general population, they try to bomb military targets but they invariably make mistakes. They suffer from a lack of collective experience and training in occupation. It is a large homogenic force designed to fight cold wars against super powers, not to keep the peace in a civil war. They are tragically sloppy in many instances but at the end of the day they generally mean well. Does this make their actions forgivable? Not really. Does this make them evil? Certainly not. I'm not saying every soilder is a saint, but they are not simply terrorists with better guns and comparitivly they treat the population far better then most invading orginised middle eastern armys would.

And whats this about the militants being desperate? They are the remaining cause of many problems in iraq. If they didn't operate against civilians and other factions the americans would have mostly left by now and the remainder would have retreated to a small number of detached military bases just like they did in japan, west germany and south korea. All of which are now model economic nations.

Tell me where is the desperation? the occupying response is equivicable to the insurgent attacks. Attacks go up, more troops enter. These are political and cultural disputes, not a matter of survival.

this comes across as the "white man's burden" justification of colonialism cleverly wrapped in altruistic rhetoric.

Iraq poised to hand control of oil fields to foreign firms

Baghdad under pressure from Britain to pass a law giving multinationals rights to the country's reserves

Heather Stewart, economics correspondent
    Sunday February 25, 2007
    The Observer

Baghdad is under pressure from Britain and the US to pass an oil law which would hand long-term control of Iraq's energy assets to foreign multinationals, according to campaigners.

Iraqi trades unions have called for the country's oil reserves - the second-largest in the world - to be kept in public hands. But a leaked draft of the oil law, seen by The Observer, would see the government sign away the right to exploit its untapped fields in so-called exploration contracts, which could then be extended for more than 30 years.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,2020560,00.html

• Advertisement

FYI wrote:
    Militant, insurgent, freedom fighters, whatever huh?

A militant is mearly someone engaged in combat/warfare, i use the term to avoid this pussy footing about with isurgent/freedom fighter ratio and also to differntiate them from coalition opposed civilians.

Freedom fighters wouldn't really be correct either, if there hypothetically was a homogenous religeous government formed from one of the individual more fundemental groups in the civil war, then it would most likley make the country less free
    The fact of the matter is, that whatever you want to call the Iraqi resistance. It is home grown, it is a resistance. It is a product of coalition invasion, and therefore opposed to it in some form or other. Though some fight for what they have been given, some fight for what has been taken away, they all fight for independence.

They fight for their own personal independence, and the quality and nature of this independence differs from group to group. I understand that some militias are reactionary defensive and others are true revolutionairies that feel that the costs are way to high, but it is a fools errand to believe that they all have the best intrest of their people in mind. There are undeniably some groups who place very little value on human life and would deliberatly sacrifice the lives of thier own men women and children to highlight their particular cause in the public image. There are also the loathsome people who post videos of their violent attacks frivulously on You tube and the like. There are oppertunists who look for this desolution of security to spread their various brands of unrest and fringe politics.
    Your romantic summary is far to simplistic. It's an asymetric war with many sides, but it doesn't mean all the lower denominations are the heroic good guys fighting for a majority view of independence.
    A little bit of propaganda never hurt anyone huh?

Pick and choose whatever information you like. This undoubhtedly happens to some extent, it's happend in just about every war in the 20th century. The americans think they can win over a population by giving them unnecisary gifts like candy and crayons and forcing them to buy doors. It's ridiculous. The british forces apperently gave them more practical aid. Better public relations probably led to a higher security level in those areas.

No time to check the accuracy of this, but's it's probably not too far off the mark:

"The total value of Iraq potential oil reserves at an average profit of $75 per barrel over next 100 years would be 360 billion x $75 = $27 trillion ... These calculations do not include natural gas revenue, lately about equal to oil revenue for producing fields."

http://www.auburn.edu/~thomph1/iraq.htm

From 2003:

"A staggering US$4 billion in oil revenues and other Iraqi funds earmarked for the reconstruction of the country has disappeared into opaque bank accounts administered by the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), the US-controlled body that rules Iraq. By the end of the year, if nothing changes in the way this cash is accounted for, that figure will double."

http://www.christian-aid.org.uk/news/media/pressrel/031023p.htm

"Dr Ali Fadhil, a 29 year old Iraqi doctor, investigates what has happened to billions of dollars worth of Iraqi money which was put into the care of the US led coalition to be spent for the benefit of Iraqi people on the reconstruction of their country. He uncovers a shocking story of fraud, incompetence and corruption, unscrupulous foreign contractors who made millions from dodgy contracts, and literally billions of dollars which cannot be properly accounted for"

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12499.htm

From 2005:

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Nearly $9 billion of money spent on Iraqi reconstruction is unaccounted for because of inefficiencies and bad management, according to a watchdog report published Sunday."

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.audit/

I'm not doing your research for you. But I'll make it easier for you, here's a link, you should find it interesting:

http://www.iraqanalysis.org/info/55

The inefficiencies are quite shocking, but i wouldn't deny that many things have been carried out appalingly. i'll look over the rest later. Sorry

Advertisement