Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile liquid damage changed to impact damage

Options
  • 22-02-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Firstly I am a very experienced elecronics engineer working with PCBs all my working life

I have a nokia 6234 that the keypad partially stopped working on. I returned it to MPRC who deemed it BER saying liquid damage and also PCB warped. So I opened the phone to find NO liquid damage anywhere, not even under the cans. I checked with my eye and a straight edge and can not find a warp either. So i brought it into my local repair shop who agreed that there was no liquid damage. They told me that they would have to send it off to Clear Soultions for warranty.

They agreed with me that there is no liquid damage and that they could not see any obvious warp. But there is a slight mark on the case which would be the result of an impact. The deciding factor is that the original technician would have to reexamine the phone. They came up with the borad is now badly warped and the case is cracked. I have the front and back covers and there is no mark on them what so ever. now they have the phone for the last 6 weeks and they refuse to return my calls.

Is the small claims court the only way I can go. or is thier a higher authority for nokia repairs.

Thier stance on the liquid damage is that it must have been a clerical error!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Phester wrote:
    Firstly I am a very experienced elecronics engineer working with PCBs all my working life

I have a nokia 6234 that the keypad partially stopped working on. I returned it to MPRC who deemed it BER saying liquid damage and also PCB warped. So I opened the phone to find NO liquid damage anywhere, not even under the cans. I checked with my eye and a straight edge and can not find a warp either. So i brought it into my local repair shop who agreed that there was no liquid damage. They told me that they would have to send it off to Clear Soultions for warranty.

They agreed with me that there is no liquid damage and that they could not see any obvious warp. But there is a slight mark on the case which would be the result of an impact. The deciding factor is that the original technician would have to reexamine the phone. They came up with the borad is now badly warped and the case is cracked. I have the front and back covers and there is no mark on them what so ever. now they have the phone for the last 6 weeks and they refuse to return my calls.

Is the small claims court the only way I can go. or is thier a higher authority for nokia repairs.

Thier stance on the liquid damage is that it must have been a clerical error!![/QUOTE

It is water damaged. It must be, cannot conceivably not be. Every mobile sold in this country since the year dot is water damaged. How dare you come on here, boasting of your qualifications, and try to bully and harangue us in to believing otherwise. I suggest you immediately take your 'phone and immerse it for several minutes in the nearest toilet and then go back to being a good little compliant consumer
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

So you know its waterdamaged even though I have 3 other nokia approved engineers (repair shops) that agree that there is no evidence of any water damage. Now Im not saying that other peoples phones are not water damaged when they say that they have never been under water. BUT this phone never has never even seen a sweat never mind a moisture rich environment outside of irelands normal air.

Now im not been smutty so, every phone company should give a refund for every phone ever made for being water damaged. I have had several phones that have taken a hammering over the years and got damp. I also have fixed lots of phones that have been immersed in alcohol etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Phester wrote:
    So you know its waterdamaged even though I have 3 other nokia approved engineers (repair shops) that agree that there is no evidence of any water damage. Now Im not saying that other peoples phones are not water damaged when they say that they have never been under water. BUT this phone never has never even seen a sweat never mind a moisture rich environment outside of irelands normal air.

Now im not been smutty so, every phone company should give a refund for every phone ever made for being water damaged. I have had several phones that have taken a hammering over the years and got damp. I also have fixed lots of phones that have been immersed in alcohol etc.

I think he was being sarcastic mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

I know but im just so mad that they can do what ever they feel like and dont have to provide any evedience. They dont seem to have to answer to anyone. I have proof that there is a BGA with a bad connection. XRAY at work. Thats why they have now shifted their findings to impact damage from a small scratch on the middle casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Phester, you really need to read the reply in the context it was written. Didn't you see the icon? If you search this forum you will see that this subject has been done to death and it is good to see someone with your experience rebutting the "water damage" excuse continually trotted out by the 'phone com companies. Here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055042434&referrerid=&highlight=water+damage
    is one thread to start you off and there are links there to other threads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement