Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC/Plastic Panels in shower

Options
  • 22-02-2007 11:13am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    Have any of you installed these, my mother in law wants to replace the tiles with these.

Just wondering how these are attached to the wall, can you get an edge piece for it and how much are they per sq yard/m?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Hiya,
    I made a wetroom using stuff called splashwall ordered from B&Q
    I attached it using gripfill and metal strips which you order to fit the boards. (I think they were 135 a sheet). I used clear silicon to seal the joins as well.
    The stuff I got has a thin layer of brushed aluminium on top of the board. I think the other kind is formica type stuff (Its a bit cheaper but should still work well). Try Heiton Buckley's as they were just getting this stuff in when I ordered mine from B&Q (Which took 7 weeks longer to arrive than they said - an sceal eile!) Its v easy to clean and a lot quicker than tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

These are being used a lot in hospitals and kitchens now in the fight against microbial infection...I've seen it just grip filled onto nailed studs on walls and then sealed on all sides with acrylic sealant or silicone. There are special curved pieces for internal corners (to help with cleaning)
    They're a lot warmer than tiles, easier to keep clean and most importantly easy to keep free from germs...apparently tiles and more importantly tile grout can be a big harbour for bacteria when it ages a little, especially in areas that are constantly wet.
    Cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Scottish Danny's wet room look very sophisticated. However I fear the type of panel that YOP is referring is a really cheap nasty looking affair that comes in long narrow lenths. A really terrible product that has escaped from industrial use and is now being pawned off on the public. To be avoided like the plague. Even the worst tiling is better than this type of rubbish.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads, looks well Danny.

What what I have seen these sheets are about 2/3ft wide, 6ft long?

Stupid question but what is gripfill? No need for battens or screws then I take it?

So just put it on the wall and you can also get edge pieces?
    Are they tongued and grooved together or just butted?

Yop, Have a look at this. It should give you a better idea
    http://www.wetwall.com/index.htm
    The sheets come in 8' * 4' (like plasterboard)
    can be cut with jigsaw or handsaw.
    You connect them with H joints and corner pieces.
    Gripfill is a strong adhesive bought in a tube that you put in a gun. My wetroom was a new stud wall on 2 sides and exterior wall on the other 2 (2 L shapes) so the panels went straight onto the battens on the stud side (no plasterboard behind it). If you get it straight and level its a lot quicker and cleaner than tiling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Danny,
    Thanks, have to take off the feking tiles first so that is a pain in the box!!
    What thickness are these sheets?
    I have an area of 3 walls, each about about 3 ft wide and then straight to the ceiling. Should not take too long then I suspect.
    With tiling already done on the floor does it sit right down on them and is there an edge between the tiles on the floor and the end of the sheets?

I presume that if I did a wall with a hand basin and toilet that they would just attach with screws.
    Thanks

yop wrote:
    Danny,
    Thanks, have to take off the feking tiles first so that is a pain in the box!!
    What thickness are these sheets?
    I have an area of 3 walls, each about about 3 ft wide and then straight to the ceiling. Should not take too long then I suspect.
    With tiling already done on the floor does it sit right down on them and is there an edge between the tiles on the floor and the end of the sheets?

I presume that if I did a wall with a hand basin and toilet that they would just attach with screws.
    Thanks
    Hi,
    bolster chisel, goggles and a lump hammer will get rid of the tiles (and you won't have to pretty it up after, if using the panels).
    • Sheets are about 8mm or 11mm thick. Can't recall exactly but same as P Board.
    • If its a wetroom/shower you need a kit to make a waterproof edge where the walls and floor meet. Otherwise there is a U shape strip available that caps the end of the sheet where it meets the floor.
    • The panels cn be screwed into quite easily (easier than tiles) make sure you remember where the timber battens are though. ;)

Thanks Danny.

Just a 3 walled shower with a door on the outside.
    Concrete walls so no need to find the battens!!!

Thanks for all the help. Not a job I want to fup up!! ;)
    Have the tiling of their bathroom downstairs and kitchen to do, but when you are used to doing a job like that it is much easier!!!

Advertisement