Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does cat urine destroy plants?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was just wondering does cat urine destroy plants and flowers in the garden? I dont see how a little cat pee could make a plant die to be honest?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

No, it's fine - plants love it :D
    Honestly.

Not nice if you have kids playing in there, though. And as with other animals, cats pi$$ will probably attract other cats.

If you don't want it, try posting in the "Rec--> Animals & pets" forum here, the topic comes up from time-to-time (how to keep cats/pigeons/foxes out of the garden)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

nope don't think cat or dog urine affects plants, at least I've not seen any of my plants die from it anyway..

Probably warms them up this time of year:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The problem is, if cats pee there then they probably sh*t there as well and that can make the ground toxic for plants. Apart from that they scratch at the soil and can damage roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone know of a good cat repellant?

The neighbours cat has taken a fancy to sitting outside our front door (and marking the territory as her own!)

Unfortunately as it's a built up area suggestions along the line of a shotgun cartridge cannot be used.:eek:

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    Anyone know of a good cat repellant?

The neighbours cat has taken a fancy to sitting outside our front door (and marking the territory as her own!)

Unfortunately as it's a built up area suggestions along the line of a shotgun cartridge cannot be used.:eek:

The person who finally figures out how to deter cats will make megabucks. In the meantime you could always go and pee on your neighbours door and see how he likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

water pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Wiki suggests "orange peel and other objects of a citrus origin" or "lion dung" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

buy a large box of cheap tea bags, spray each with deap heat or such, they hate it but its toxic to them, soak the tea bags in a strong jeyes fluid mixture and leave the where the cats soil they hate that as well both mixtures last about 14 days,

old boy wrote:
    buy a large box of cheap tea bags, spray each with deap heat or such, they hate it but its toxic to them, soak the tea bags in a strong jeyes fluid mixture and leave the where the cats soil they hate that as well both mixtures last about 14 days,

Please don't put out anything that would harm any animal...

Fidelis wrote:
    Wiki suggests "orange peel and other objects of a citrus origin" or "lion dung" :D

Q; How do I prevent small cats from leaving cr*p in my garden?

A; Spread cr*p from large cats. Brilliant!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

artieanna wrote:
    Please don't put out anything that would harm any animal...

Why not? They are pure filth!!!

And despite what some losers think, do not act as substitutes for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

colsku wrote:
    Why not?
    Asides from moral reasons, how about it's illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Fidelis wrote:
    Asides from moral reasons, how about it's illegal?

I would hazard a guess that you broke the law at least 5 times today,so don't sit there on your moral highground...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Calm down colsku and keep the posts legal and on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

looksee wrote:
    water pistol.

Yep, it's legal, humane and fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for all the replies people. Its actually my own cat that has me asking the question :D

So I wont be putting down any toxic crap or using a water pistol on her. Was just wondering whether her urine was doing any damage. Glad to hear its not.

squire1 wrote:
    Yep, it's legal, humane and fun:D

It's not that water pistols don't discourage cats, they do. It's actually convincing the cats to come at a convenient time and stay still long enough that's the problem. They can be very uncooperative.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

bmaxi wrote:
    It's not that water pistols don't discourage cats, they do. It's actually convincing the cats to come at a convenient time and stay still long enough that's the problem. They can be very uncooperative.:D

All good hunters know the value of patience. :D Waiting for that clear shot to get the squirt of water right onto the back of the head or up the ass. It only takes one shot, they wont be back for more. All the fun is in the stalking.

Can you tell, I don't like cats. Dogs FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cat urine has killed large areas of my BILs neighbours lawn, so I am afraid that I do not believe that it does no harm.
    The people in question have about 5 cats and they urinate on the lawn causing large dead patches or grass.
    I didn't believe it when I was told but when asked the neighbours said that "yes it was true and that they have to try and find a solution to stop the whole lawn dying off".
    That was last summer and they now have large patches of mud where the grass used to be.

• Advertisement

colsku wrote:
    Why not? They are pure filth!!!

And despite what some losers think, do not act as substitutes for children.

Thats a most pathetic attitude to have towards animals whether they are wild or domisticated.....:mad: :mad: :mad:

only one loser here mate:p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

I suggest the teabag method as well.
    But, instead you should put a couple of drops of Olbas Oil on each teabag
    Olbas Oil is quite safe.

Active Ingredients (w/w):
    Cajuput Oil BPC 18.50%, Clove Oil EP 0.10%, Eucalyptus Oil EP 35.45%,Juniperberry Oil BPC 2.70%, Levomenthol EP 4.10%, Dementholised Mint Oil BP 35.45%, Wintergreen Oil BPC (1949) 3.70%.

Cats hate the scent of this product.
    It will either dissuade them from entering your garden or else it will provide them with relief from bronchial and nasal congestion.

Advertisement