Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching provider - Best Phone and Broadband Package?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Im currently with Ntl for broadband (Max package) and Eircom for the phone. I've just about had it with NTL, for the price of their broadband their service is naff. Been happy enough with eircom, I know they are not cheap just was never bothered to change.

Anyway looking to save some €€€€'s and was looking around at some phone and broadband packages. Digiweb Metro seems like a good deal on paper, has anyone anything to say about their service? What their speeds are like? Also Magnet seems like an option. Anyone any advice on them? I see they mention its uncontended which is a plus.

I live Northside Dublin, near Beaumont hospital. If there are any other good providers I have missed let me know. I dont mind settling for a slower broadband speed than Ntl's '6mb' (:rolleyes: ), maybe something around 3mb just so long as I know it is actually 3mb.

Thanks,
    D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Metro would save a wedge or consider the BT bundle if you call the UK (landlines) a fair bit..and if you want to keep your phone number

You may also get Smart out there I believe, still the best BB package for teh price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Check what's available. I'd recommend Smart (again!) based on price and speed but there's no point if they're not available in your area.

P.S. Don't rely on getbroadband.ie or broadband.gov.ie to tell you if Smart is in your area - log on to http://support.smarttelecom.ie and check/ask someone on the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pmmon

Hi,
    I'm with Smart too. I also have my phone line with them for free. Best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Can I port my landline number with smart?

Just checked the site and I can port my number, and it is available in my area. So I can see from the site its €40 a month for broadband and line rental with calls on top of that (which are cheaper than eircom).

What is the service like? Is the broadband speed a solid 4mb? Any other problems that have been reported?

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So I can see from the site its €40 a month for broadband and line rental with calls on top of that

Not the case......the €40 INCLUDES line rental (or at least, it does in my case! :D ). Another tenner gets you all calls to local, national and UK destinations, excluding mobiles.

Service is excellent - I had only 2 minor issues in a year.

Speed is whatever your modem can sync at, and depends on your line quality - I get a solid 2.7 / 2.8 because I'm 6km from the exchange.

Can't fault it, though - I went with it despite having to change my number, as it's well worth it. If you don't have to change your number, there's no contest.

I know that line rental was included, just phrased it poorly;). You say for an extra tenner you can get a calls bundle aswell? Cant see any menion of i on their site.....

Being able to keep the same number will sway this, as we dont want to change it. It says on one page on the site you can port your number and then on another you cant:confused: ....

Advertisement