Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247NWG - Web UI Inaccessible

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Twice in the past week, I have restarted my PC/router(I don't always leave the machine on overnight) only to find that my BTBB connection had "Limited or no connectivity"
    I ran Ipconfig and found that:

Ethernet adapter BTBB:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.171.119
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The Default Gateway address for the Netopia 2247NWG was gone , ergo I was unable to use that to access the Web UI to reset the device through the Web interface.

I ran IPConfig /release which cleared all settings:
    then IPconfig /renew:

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on LocalNet while it has its media disconnected.
    An error occurred while renewing interface BTBB : unable to contact your DHCP se
    rver. Request has timed out.

I had to do a hard reset. I have never had problems like this before using the 'default' Zyxel router.
    Anyone got any ideas?

I found this which may help:
    http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

I have switched back to the Zyxel so I'll see if this issue recurs if not I'll switch back to the Netopia and try these suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I got one of the Netopia 2247NWG routers from the bargin alerts thread. My one definitely does not enjoy 24X7 use and I need to reboot it every few weeks. Ah well what you expect for €25 I supose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hmm

plug zyxel into phone line and plug ethernet from zyxel into netopia , now plug pc ethernet into netopia .

1. can you still access theinternet (thru netopia in other words, as a switch)
    2. can you pick up http://192.168.1.254/ which is default netopia ip in browser
    3. what is your Ip on the PC if step one works, can you http to the next ip up or down, eg if its working on 192.168.1.41 (pc IP) can you http to 192.168.1.40 or 192.168.1.42 or .43 ..eg the netopia itself would have been assigned an ip by the zyxel as your pc was assigned one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Sponge Bob wrote:
    hmm

plug zyxel into phone line and plug ethernet from zyxel into netopia , now plug pc ethernet into netopia .

1. can you still access theinternet (thru netopia in other words, as a switch)
    2. can you pick up http://192.168.1.254/ which is default netopia ip in browser
    3. what is your Ip on the PC if step one works, can you http to the next ip up or down, eg if its working on 192.168.1.41 (pc IP) can you http to 192.168.1.40 or 192.168.1.42 or .43 ..eg the netopia itself would have been assigned an ip by the zyxel as your pc was assigned one .

I'll give that a try later Sponge Bob and let you know the result.
    Thanks.

I can still acces internet by following your steps.
    I can now access http://192.168.1.254/

When I run IPConfig /all:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 0.0.12.0
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 39.123.0.0

So I tried:192.168.1.34/31/32/35 and connection times out

Now you have web access see if the DHCP server on the Netopia was somehow turned off meaning the Netopia would not allocate your PC an IP address which is what it looks like in your original post .

Once the DHCP on the Netopia is working again IIRC it allocates IPs starting at 1.100 so your PC would therefore pick up an Ip adresss like 1.100 or 1.101 and all should be well again.

the xyzel is allocating IP addresses around 1.33 1.34 so the IP address tells you which DHCP server was picked up by the PC.

Its a bad idea to have 2 DHCP servers on one network but once your pc has ANY 1.nn address you can then plug over to the Netopia to fiddle with it but do not power down PC, just switch cable.

HTH

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Now you have web access see if the DHCP server on the Netopia was somehow turned off meaning the Netopia would not allocate your PC an IP address which is what it looks like in your original post .

Once the DHCP on the Netopia is working again IIRC it allocates IPs starting at 1.100 so your PC would therefore pick up an Ip adresss like 1.100 or 1.101 and all should be well again.

the xyzel is allocating IP addresses around 1.33 1.34 so the IP address tells you which DHCP server was picked up by the PC.

Its a bad idea to have 2 DHCP servers on one network but once your pc has ANY 1.nn address you can then plug over to the Netopia to fiddle with it but do not power down PC, just switch cable.

HTH

The DHCP server on the Netopia is turned off.
    Does this need to be enabled even though I don't have a network as such?
    I only have this one PC connected to it and I was under the impression that the IP was assigned automatically by ISP server?

DHCP must be on as your 1 PC internal network needs an Ip/settings from it.

that should fix everything

Sponge Bob wrote:
    DHCP must be on as your 1 PC internal network needs an Ip/settings from it.

that should fix everything

Even though I enabled DHCP server I still had to do a hard reset when I switched the cables back to original config.
    Still a bit worried about it. I had the DHCP server disabled for the past month or so and everhthing was working fine, now it's suddenly acting up, is this normal?

Beelzebub wrote:
    Even though I enabled DHCP server I still had to do a hard reset when I switched the cables back to original config.
    Still a bit worried about it. I had the DHCP server disabled for the past month or so and everhthing was working fine, now it's suddenly acting up, is this normal?

Seems to be stable now.

Thanks Sponge Bob. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Beelzebub wrote:
    That's normal; you could also have done an ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew (available for GUI-folks by right-clicking the network icon and clicking "repair")
    Something definitely changed; if the PC had a manually-set IP address in the right range it would have worked; maybe one of the boxes had an IP conflict with the manual address and caused the PC to reset that value ? Or maybe you switched them on in a different order ?

Anyways, the bottom line is that it's working now.

It's also worth switching everything off and then back on so that you're sure that the settings will stick in the event of a power cut or whatever; doing this at a quiet/non-crucial time will prevent a panic if it happens sometime that you urgently need access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement