Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Landcruiser Amazon Opinions

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am close to buying a 2001 Landcruiser Amazon from the UK. It's a proper UK spec with only 50k with a full toyota history to back it up. It's fully loaded with all the extras. It's a 4.2td auto active model.

I would like to hear your opinions on this. Reliability wise they seem to be bulletproof. But does anyone have any info that may be relevent.

BTW, I'm not interested in hearing from moaney-holes giving out about big engines :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Try this link

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=2&MA_TYPE=1&MA=42&RT=476&Submit1=GO

and this one, reviews from actual owner/drivers

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=476

"Servicing every 4500 miles is a pain..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BTW, I'm not interested in hearing from moaney-holes giving out about big engines :p

Allright, so I won't ask why? and what for? and I won't mention the Greenland icecap either....

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Servicing every 10,000kms would be the norm for the diesel. Definately more frequent if used off road. Offical figures say 26-31 mpg, so based on that I reckon I'd get more or less the same as I was getting with the Hilux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Servicing every 10,000kms would be the norm for the diesel. Definately more frequent if used off road. Offical figures say 26-31 mpg, so based on that I reckon I'd get more or less the same as I was getting with the Hilux.

Offical figures are always out of whack, one reviewer stated, "With original Mitchelin tyres it averaged 21mpg but having changed to BFG All-Terrain this has dropped to about 19mpg."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The uncle's in the trade and buys a new one every year and sells when in demand, he's on his second one this year and they're an absolute barge.

It's like a living room on wheels more than a car and really won't be beaten on quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there's no way you can get 26-31mpg on an Amazon. A Colorado maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

My boss has one. He pulled some stunt when he bought it where they sealed off the boot from the back seats and he imported it new from the north as a commerciall and stil only pays commercial road tax on it now.

I'm looking at getting that done if I buy it. 13% vrt instead of 30%. If I can't get the boot sealed off then it will be a proper commercial, i.e. no rear seats. €50 vrt then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yup it's taxed as a crewcab. This also involved fabricating a new dropped boot floor and re-routing the exhaust off to the side. I've seen some suspect jobs done, with curtain airbags being screwed into and obscured by the new bulkhead. This loophole was closed off a few years ago, they no longer qualify as being registered as commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Did you sell the Hilux Cmar? How did you find it overall?

I still look at them every now and then when the fancy takes me.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    Did you sell the Hilux Cmar? How did you find it overall?

I still look at them every now and then when the fancy takes me.

Yeah, sold the Hilux a few weeks ago, after 5 years of ownership. I really couldn't fault it on anything. A great 4x4. My brother bought one just before I sold mine and he loves his too.
    I think the regular Landcruiser Colorado/Prado is very common, thats why I'm looking at the Amazons.
    But the 1996-2003 Hilux Surf is still not too common. Definately recommend one. (It is a Landcruiser Colorado underneath ;) )

Advertisement