Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What dog(s) should I get or should I

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Myself and the lady have moved out to Rush we are very near the coast long beach's. So walks won't be a problem.

The house is a 3 bed semi D with around a 40 X 25 Feet. Fully enclosed.

I would really love to get a dog, our may concern is we both work 9 to 5 so are gone from 730 to 1800 during the day, I wouldnt like to get a dog if it is going to be lonely as I feel it is unfair. I have heard though that some breeds do not mind been on there own. I have not ruled out getting 2 dogs to keep each other company.

I have mailed Irishanimals.ie but they were not much help they just told be to drop over. I would ideally like to rehome the dog from the pound and would like a dog no older than 36 months. I would also like a medium to small sized dog.
    So any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is no dog (purebred or otherwise) that is "designed" for staying on its own for almost 12 hours.

Some dogs learn to cope with this (out of sheer neccessity), most don't.

It is not really a situation in which a dog should be kept permanently.

Having two dogs staying alone for that amount of time may cut the boredom of the individual dog somewhat, but it also increases the amount of problems, troubles, mischief and harm the dogs can get into during your absence at leas twofold.

Unless you can get someone to come and look after the dogs and take them for a walk during the day, I would strongly advise against getting dog(s) in your circumstances.

In the long run, neither you nor your dog(s) would be happy with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

730 to 1800 every day! The beach is pitch dark and inacccesable and miserable during the winter. I walk the dogs in the dark during the winter in a park (when I am in work early) it can be pretty dismal sometimes. You have to wear manky clothes, the whole operation takes ah hour really and the park is right outside my front door.

Maybe an older, less energetic dog might suit? An old retired Greyhound, give him/her lots of bedding a good walk every day, lots of treats in kongs, bones, hidden treats in the garden to keep him/her amused all day? Another walk, a big scratch and a warm bed when you get home. (presuming you get home on time every day)

Best of luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 irishlass

How long in your opinions do you think is the maximum time a dog should be left by themselves in the house?

4 hours??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to contact rescues directly by phone or drop in to see the dogs. Most rescues do homechecks and could find a dog to suit you. Many many households work but have dogs you see them walking the dogs either first thing in the morning esp around towns or in the evenings.
    It's really best to contact a rescue directly or visit them during opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

irishlass wrote:
    How long in your opinions do you think is the maximum time a dog should be left by themselves in the house?
    4 hours??

With a bit of training and some easing into it it could also be five or six hours ... but that's the max (in my opinion)
    If they get good excercise before being left alone, they'd most likely sleep for most of it anyway.

But not all dogs can stay on their own ...some just won't

Another problem often is that people say ..oh I'm only in work a half day, but keep forgetting about all the errands that they have to run around work and the commuting time.
    Many many households work but have dogs you see them walking the dogs either first thing in the morning esp around towns or in the evenings.

And who fancies walking the dog extensively at five or six in the morning, in pitch dark, pissing rain and howling gales and the same again after a long days work?

So, often the dog ends up on its own for eight or more hours, underexcercised, bored, frightened, etc

Also ...in order to get a meaningful relationship with your dog, you need to spend time with it, let it participate in your life. If it only gets to interact with you one hour (or less) per day while being dragged around on a lead, you might as well forget it.

This is where my personal opinion differs from that of some rescue organisations. They (understandably) would rather see a dog homed in less than ideal conditions than see it destroyed.
    But in my mind, dutyfully dragging the dog around the block twice a day but not having any time for it otherwise (due to the average hectic Irish life these days), is a very pointless form of dog ownership. Neither you nor the dog will get to be happy and content with each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement