Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult choice - opinions please

Options
  • 22-02-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi ,

I'm faced with a choice of confining my dog to a run or rehoming her where the new owner has 2 acres for her to be free on.

She is 18 month old rottie, and an absolute pet, and I really would love to keep her, but we both work full time and now have a young child who is on the move and another one on the way.

If we keep her we will have to put her in a run, firstly so she doesn't run into the baby and secondly to stop her pooing all over the garden. Was talking to a girl, who has six other dogs and they all run free and she seemed really nice and has experience of rotties.

Am really torn and can't make my mind up, i would welcome your opinion.

Thanks,

Milly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hi Milly,

This really is a difficult choice and im afraid I cannot advise you. I suppose it is a case of necessity. If you really feel you have to rehome your dog due to space and children reasons maybe you should. However it is heartwretching losing a family pet. Let us know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do I understand that correctly, that you are both working full time, have to fit the kid(s) in around that and the dog on top of it all?

If that's correct, then there is very little time left for the dog and it would spend most of its time in "solitary confinement" in its run.

That can only be a very short term solution. If, for example at some stage in the near future you were to work only half days or not at all and you could possible spare half an hour for the dog a few times during the day, it would be worth thinking about.

If, on the other hand, the "solitary confinement" is going to last for a long time, then, in the interst of the dog, it would be a good idea to rehome her somewhere where she has space and comrades. (That place sounds ideal, actually)

A tough decision, but not really a difficult one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

In this instance you have to think about the dog and not your personal feelings....

I don't mean to be harsh, it's just that you must ask yourself what will the dogs quality of life be like in the run? will you be able to provide enough time for her? will she get enough walks?

If you have doubts about any of the above you should probably rehome her, it will no doubt be heartbreaking for you, but if its in the dogs best interests, It is the right thing to do...

You have the comfort of knowing that she will be with a good owner and will have lots of freedom!

A hard decision, and I wish you good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

My similar age rottie is very happy with my 7 year old lab i work full time too-and any spare time i have im out playing with them-i would not leave them on there own though-thats why i got the rottie, to play with my lab, now i've 2 happy dogs, do whats best for the dog..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nothing wrong with a dog run as long as the dog has water, warm kennel, toys and gets to go out for walks daily and quality time as well. This might only be for a while as well as the dog gets older and the child gets bigger.

The problem I would have with giving the dog to the person with the 2 acres is if the land isn't properly fenced off and dog proof. Esp. for such a large dog. If it isn't then don't give the dog to that person because it will end up in trouble or getting hit by a car.
    The other thing is all the land and space in the world doesn't matter the dog wants to be with you.

Why did you get a such alarge dog in the first place if you didn't want poo in the garden? If you feed the dog a good diet and take him out regularly there should be little poo in the garden.

A run is an option if you can spare the time, remember children grow up very fast and you may regret giving the dog away when you realise you have more time on your hands in 6 months to a year.

Also walking the dog alongside the buggy is a handy way to walk the two of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement