Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school enrolment - Baptism Cert Required?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

In the interests of settling a friendly debate with a friend of mine....

I've heard people say recently that they need to get their kids christened because a baptism cert is required when enrolling in Primary schools. Just wondering if this is true or not (it does sound a bit daft in this day and age) ?? If it is true, how common is it?
    Any info, personal experience or links would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

Dr Pepper wrote:
    Hi folks,

In the interests of settling a friendly debate with a friend of mine....

I've heard people say recently that they need to get their kids christened because a baptism cert is required when enrolling in Primary schools. Just wondering if this is true or not (it does sound a bit daft in this day and age) ?? If it is true, how common is it?
    Any info, personal experience or links would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian

its true if its a catholic run primary which a lot of them seem to be. you can go for a non denomination one in which case they dont need to be baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

yes but even a lot of the catholic run ones don't ask for them any more, well not in my parish

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks tabatha,

For anyone who's interested, I'm just in the middle of reading this interesting article about the (frankly dispicable and embarrassing) state of the Primary education system in this country! I am baffled as to how this could be the case in 2007

Please keep the opinions and personal experiences coming, thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The only way to find out is to request a copy of the schools enrollment policy and how they award places and what thier critea is.

This topic has come up before, not surpisingly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002751
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055000841

The first link is to a poll and dicussion the second has a lot of information reguarding the legal and consitutional
    standing of school in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thaedydal wrote:
    This topic has come up before, not surpisingly.

Not suprising at all, thanks for the links... :o
    Where was I while all of this was being discussed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Our local Gaelscoil asked for the Baptismal Cert.

It was reported in the Kildare papers during the year that the Catholic-run primary schools in Newbridge are refusing to enrol non-baptised children, because they have far too many people arrivng. I suppose it's just one way of deciding who to turn away when they haven't enough places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 yummymummy

Does anyone know at what age I need to sign my daughter up for montessori and primary school in galway?I've been told its at birth but she's now 8 months so I'm hoping thats not true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Depends on the school and the montessori and what the demand is like.
    Ringthem and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

It was reported in our local paper that St. Patricks school in D15 is now requiring a baptism cert and that it must be dated at least two years before the year the child starts.

As the catholic church is the patron of the school this is perfectly legal, and not unexpected.

to this end we have been informed that we shall have the first VEC primary school soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Dr Pepper wrote:
    ....a baptism cert is required when enrolling in Primary schools. Just wondering if this is true or not (it does sound a bit daft in this day and age) ??...

A baptism cert maybe be required when enrolling in "RC" Primary schools in areas of high demand for places. Its a not daft, its poor planning and bad management by the Govt. Nothing new in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My sis was asked for baptismal certs when enrolling her kids in school. It had nothing to do with the enrolement policy the school wanted it so they knew which kids they had to prepare for communion. They school found it easier to get the certs at the start as parents were very slow to get them at communion time.

Advertisement