Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop - No Windows

• 22-02-2007 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey all,

i am looking to buy a new laptop built with my specs but i dont want Windows pre-installed. I can't seem to find any around (that take online orders anyways). I have looked at a Mac but the price put me off as the same specs in a non - Mac laptop are cheaper.

Any ideas or solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Its a bit long winded but you can try it.....

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/227237

If you try it, post up how you got on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I may be wrong, but if you do want a windows operating system you will have to pay full price if it is not pre-installed

Paddyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

I think you can reclaim the cost of the Microsoft operating system from DELL - though i'm not 100% sure.
    Here is a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The linux mags often have adverts for PC's and Laptops with out an OS. Probably an option to Linux preinstalled with IBM etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

fguinan wrote:
    I think you can reclaim the cost of the Microsoft operating system from DELL - though i'm not 100% sure.
    Here is a link

This is not entirely true; As most people know the version of windows that comes on your PC is an OEM Version; OEM certification for the likes of Dell, HP, Acer etc... is done on a Model Range; etc.. Inspiron 1xxx to 6xxx; so basically Microsoft says it will cost you x amount to run this version of windows on that pc; Which is coolaboola.

But dell does not charge you for The base OS that you get on your pc; Dell provide you with an OS as a way of using their system etc.

The Loophole in the EULA for OEM copys of windows had been there and gone un-noticed (i think its acctually been sorted as i see on the Latest EULA on HP Business Desktops it mentions nothing of a Refund for the OS) for a while; In Legal terms the guy in the article shouldnt acctually get anything as he didnt in retrospective buy a Licence to use Windows; He Purcased a Pc which Dell Has licenced from microsoft for their end user to enjoy the "Dell" Expierience.

The reason that dell buckled under the pressure was because of the attention that it was getting from media; That it was "Tarnishing" the good name of Dell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement