Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW "Blue" badging

Options
  • 22-02-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    was behind a VW Transporter the other day and it had the TDi lettering. Nothing special there, but the "i" was blue as opposed to the norm silver or red. Just wondering what this denotes, if anything at all. (i know the red 'i' is a higher output than the base silver).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the "i" indicated that it was either a 5 or 6 cylinder diesel engine. Usually 2.5 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

4 motion perhaps:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Plug, usually 4motion would be also badged

Methinks the bazz might have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 2.5 litre VW diesel in the Transporter is a 5 pot. Methinks its the same engine as in the R5 TDI Tourareg. I have 2 other suggestions as to why the 'TDI' badge contains blue lettering though.(These could be possible explanations if you saw the Transporter in the Continent, but highly unlikely if you saw it in Ireland or even the UK) When 1.4 FSI Polo went on sale in the UK a good few years ago, it had the 'i' in blue. 1 thing I can think of is the fact that next year there will be 'Bluetec' diesels from VAG and Merc in Europe. Maybe the Transporter is already available with Bluetec. The other is the fact that there are 'Bluemotion' diesels on offer in the continent from VW(which are likely to come here next year). Bluemotion models are kinda like the 3L Lupo i.e. they have thinner glass on the doors, increased usage of Aluminium or other lightweight materials compared to a standard VW, taller gears, and a more aerodynamic body. The Bluemotion Polo 1.4 TDI does 72.4 mpg on the combined cycle, whereas a normal 1.4 TDI Polo does 62.8 mpg(70 bhp version). Audi are also introducing Bluemotion models, but they're calling theirs 'e' models. The A4 2.0TFSIe does 39.8 mpg, the standard one does 36.2(manual saloon in each case). These could be possible explanations if you saw this in the continent, but if (and I assume you did) saw it in Ireland, then the only possible(and realistic) explanation is the explanation is the one bazz26 said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Hats off to E92 (are you in the trade perchance?)
    I saw the Transporter on the N11, near Loughlinstown, and yes, on Irish plates, either 05 or 06

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

tc20 wrote:
    Hats off to E92 (are you in the trade perchance?)
    I saw the Transporter on the N11, near Loughlinstown, and yes, on Irish plates, either 05 or 06
    Well we aim to please:D Thanks anyway, no I have absolutely no connection with any car company, or indeed anything car related (unfortunately). I do know people who were in the trade, but aren't anymore, but I have a big interest in cars, so I always try and look for stuff to do with cars on the net, and as I can read German, am able to find out about bits and pieces about cars a good bit before most can(they normally publish stuff to do with German cars in Germany at least 4-6 weeks before it hits the news in the UK, which in turn takes another while to hit the news here, for example.
    It absolutely was the R5 TDI you saw then; Bluetec didn't exist back then(the car companies have only been mentioning it recently); allegedly when cars with Bluetec do appear, it will make each car €900 dearer with it(in the Continent)(probably closer to €1600 with VRT); so it will be interesting to see how popular diesel will be then, as I wonder very much how many people in the continent will be prepared to pay a premium close to the one Irish people pay already for a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

tc20 wrote:
    Plug, usually 4motion would be also badged

Methinks the bazz might have it
    Yeah your right just saw a van with that earlier;)

Advertisement