Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easiest spot to get a new handle for the glove compartment

Options
  • 22-02-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

It is broken and wondering which would be easiest/cheaper - dealer or to a scrap yard.

Living in Galway and the car is a 93 Volkswagen golf.

Wouldn't be too big a deal to leave it but my nct papers and registration forms are in it which I need in a few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I reckon a scrap yard is your best bet, failing that http://www.tranors.co.uk up in the North are your best bet. They deliver.

Also check the VW Vento, they were basically a saloon version of MK III Golf so I would imagine the glove box is identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The part you are looking for is cheap from a main dealer. It's a common enough part on the MkIII to break. Be sure it is the handle though, because on some the mechanism behind breaks. Open the glove box by using a screwdriver to operate the lever - prise the handle out completely if you have to. When the glove box is open, remove the 3 phillips screws located on the inside of the glove box lid which will remove bothe the handle and the mechanism.

Give Western Motors parts dept a call 091 709970 and see if the have them in stock. As I say, they are cheap and not worth the hassle of trawling through breakers yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

crosstownk. I'm fairly sure it's the handle. The clip on one side of the handle is broken. I took it out and the handle is connected to a little metal rod. Due to one of the clips being broken in the handle it prob couldn't turn this metal rod to open the glove box. I'll try Western motors sure. Thx

Try pulling the rod to the right - you may need a long nose pliers.

I tried to open the glove box over the weekend but have no luck finding the lever with the screwdriver. I have the handle taken off and also took out the metal rod that the handle attaches to. No visual sign of a lever anywhere? Any ideas on location?

• Advertisement

If the metal rod is out then the situation is now a lot more difficult. IIRC, the handle pushes/pulls the rod which opens the lock. The best thing now to do is try and get a 'look' at the lock mechanism. Maybe try a small piece of a mirror and a torch to look 'behind' the glove box lid. You might find a purpose bent coathanger or other such piece of stiff wire of more help than a screwdriver at this stage.

Thanks crosstownk. The bloody metal rod came out when I took out the handle.
    I'll try with a piece of wire and see if I have any luck

Spotted this video on how someone managed to open the glove box without using the handle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn_LmCZcMUM

I'd no luck when I tried it anyhow. Maybe it's because the metal rod is not in place anymore.

If the rods out then there is no way the method in the video clip will work! Once the rod is out you now need to get at the catch which is in the centre of the glove box lid where it meets the dash.

EDIT : That YouTube clip is an LHD so you may need 'mirror image' the procedure - if you know what I mean!

Advertisement