Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me with my system!

Options
  • 22-02-2007 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

My PC (P4 2.6, 1 gig ram, XP sp2) has really, really started slowing down in the last 2 weeks. Almost as if it gets slightly worse each day. Over the last few days when I'm starting to get into a project the mouse cursor starts slowing then grinds to a near halt.

I don't have this PC rigged up to the net although a scan with updated avg did reveal some trojans. They must have piggy backed in on something or other. Little b*st*rds. I've also done a de-frag. Any ideas what could be doing this and how I can fix it? (And please don't say buy a mac!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Did you sort out the trojans after the scan? If I had adware and trojans that couldn't be cured I'd reformat the drive, no question. They slow your system and make it unstable.

Are you running any small programs in the background that aren't needed? You might want to look into disabling Windows services if you haven't done so already, though you have to be careful what you disable, this is a good guide: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

I reformat my drive and do a fresh install of the operating system (Mac :p) every few months. Might be overkill but it keeps everything running smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I think it might be time to format the drive.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Try Ad-aware & Spybot - AVG doesn't pick up a lot of things....I found out this the hard way. AVG missed a huge virus that McAfee ended up finding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

i agree with Niall, do a reformat. Its something that should be done every now and again anyway, to keep your machine running smoothly. And make sure the first thing you install after windows is your antivirus/antispyware/firewall software.

Oh, I use a mac at work and it too is starting to crap out after about 4 months usage, so it aint a PC only problem :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

My pc has slowed down since I got internet explorer 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 nobby2k1

@ frobisher:

I've found the following website useful: http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 georgelowden

have you looked into youre page fie setup??? it may be curupt ...
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1336964&page=2

delete page file= no page file ,,, and defrag set up a new page file ram X 1.5 or more (debatable)
    this worke for me sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rjramos

A quickie - maybe have a quick look at the processes in task manager, see if anything is hogging cpu or memory.

Advertisement