Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who says pro boxing is suffering?

• 22-02-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Oscar de la Hoya has accused Floyd Mayweather of being full of bark, but no bite.

The Golden Boy had the last word as the pair kicked off the trashtalking at the first press conference ahead of their summer blockbuster in Las Vegas.

Mayweather offered a bet of up to $3million dollars on the outcome of their WBC light-middleweight clash, which is likely to be the biggest - and certainly - richest fight of all time.

But de la Hoya believes his trademark brashness masks an underlying anxiety this time.

"I can tell when someone is nervous," he said.

"It's like a facade they're hiding behind. It gets on your nerves though because it's like little Chihuahua - yap, yap, yap!

"But the thing is, they never bite!"

Mayweather went a little further at the press conference, mocking the Golden Boy as he took to the podium and predicting an early demise for the six-weight world champion.

De la Hoya has lost two of his last four fights (Bernard Hopkins in 2004 and Shane Mosley in 2003) and although the Pretty Boy is stepping up to light-middle (154lbs) for the first time in his unbeaten 37-fight career, he believes victory number 38 is a formality.

"My prediction is a toe-to-toe battle," he said. "But in the seventh round Oscar will go.

"Or in the eighth round, he will go out on his face or his back, or Oscar will raise the white flag."

The fight, billed The World Awaits, does not need any selling though.

It is already the biggest grossing boxing match after tickets for the MGM Grand sold out in three hours for $19millon, surpassing the previous best of $16,860,300 set by Lennox Lewis-Evander Holyfield II.

It is being beamed live to 176 countries around the world and is expected to surpass pay-per-view records set by Lewis v Tyson.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Oh baby its gonna be good. Personally i cant wait to see Floyd wipe the floor with De La Hoya. That guy should have quit the moment he promoted a fight.

The thing bout this fight is, even though its set to be the biggest fight of all time, it will receive virutally no press in Britain or Ireland. Ah well, us fight fans are used to being shunned and sniped at.

To the fight. I think Floyd is too good defensively to lose. If he is finding it tough going he well have the skill to avoid Oscar and win on points, I doubt he will be able to knock him out. Its exciting though, with Hopkins and Wright, and Hatton Castillo, we're in for a good few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

This is boxing at its best-i hope de la hoya is sharp as if he is this could be a legendary fight. cant wait

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Guys, I hope too it's a great fight but I sincerely believe Mayweather will be just too fast and young for a ring weary Old Oscar. I see a lopsided victory for Mayweather and to be honest this fight does not deserve such hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote:
    Guys, I hope too it's a great fight but I sincerely believe Mayweather will be just too fast and young for a ring weary Old Oscar. I see a lopsided victory for Mayweather and to be honest this fight does not deserve such hype.

I agree. I think this fight won't be as close as people think. Mayweather will be just too good for de la Hoya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

just hope its not a 12 round snoozer,...as both guys are famous for jabbing and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

with this fight-barrera v marquez and fights like hatton v castilla this is what boxing is all about-i love the big fights..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement