Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Investment Advice

• 22-02-2007 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends

I would like to start doing some investment; I can start with 2000 or 3000 Euro; and between 200 to 500 Euro Per month; what is the best options for this; I do not know anything about shares ...etc

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What are you investing for? For retirement etc, for a rainy day, to buy a house etc?

How long can you leave the money without touching it?

How much risk are you willing to take e.g. if you lose money in the short term, are you ok with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

hmmm wrote:
    What are you investing for? For retirement etc, for a rainy day, to buy a house etc?

How long can you leave the money without touching it?

How much risk are you willing to take e.g. if you lose money in the short term, are you ok with that?

I am investing for all of that;)

I can leave the money for a while

I am not ok with losine money

In investing taking on a risk of losing money usually gives you the best returns over the long term. So if you're not willing to lose money, you will get the lowest return - which is ok over the short term, but if you're saving money over 10/20/30 years isn't good.

If I was in your situation I'd sit down and try and roughly sketch out when you'd need money over the next couple of years (just roughly). So e.g. you might want a house deposit in x years, wedding, kids etc.

Any money you need short term (say <5 years) you should put into something where you are guaranteed your capital e.g. high interest bank account rabo or northern rock. E.g. you might put 250 a month into this. This would include a rainy day fund.

Medium to long term money (>5 years), I'd look at putting an amount every month into some form of share based investment product e.g. take a look at Quinn Life. Your investment here will fluctuate and you may lose money in the short term, but over the long term you should make money. When you put the money in here you shouldn't lose your nerve and withdraw the money if things go against you temporarily.

I'd avoid any share "tips" or "sure things". I'd avoid any product with high fees.

There's lots of other things to consider - I'd suggest buying one of the Irish family finance type books and have a good read - you may want to look into a pension etc if you haven't already.

I think i would go for the short term investment...

by saying (high interest bank account) r u talking about the saving plans accounts??

I have a current account at AIB; it is the account that I got my salary into it

Do u recommend AIB??

What bank do u recommend for this kind of investment??

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

mmalaka wrote:
    I think i would go for the short term investment...

by saying (high interest bank account) r u talking about the saving plans accounts??

I have a current account at AIB; it is the account that I got my salary into it

Do u recommend AIB??

What bank do u recommend for this kind of investment??

Regards

Prob the best option for you is an investment in a fund, low to medium risk. Check out http://www.smartfunds.ie and http://www.bankofirelandlife.ie. BOI have a range of funds that could match your needs.

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    Prob the best option for you is an investment in a fund, low to medium risk. Check out http://www.smartfunds.ie and http://www.bankofirelandlife.ie. BOI have a range of funds that could match your needs.

They recommend for at least five years term investment with 5000 to start with..

Any more options friends???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

mmalaka wrote:
    They recommend for at least five years term investment with 5000 to start with..

Any more options friends???

Not necessarily, I have my money in a fund with BOI at the moment and I can take it out at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

TRILOGY II (BoI-Smartfunds) doing very nicely, reasonable amount of risk but very good returns. There are more conservative as well as more adventurous (especially some of them Asian funds) but if you want to sleeep comfortable and achieve top returns (15% +) well you know now where to look and invest.

For a bit of adrenalin you could ocassionally do a bit of spot buying on 'whacky' shares.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

If you're considering investing in funds remember to bear in mind entry/exit charges and annual fees. Check with some brokers (online brokers such as MyAdviser) who might get you a good deal on charges.

In fairness, the guy has said he doesn't want to lose money, so why are people recommending equity funds and particularly those betting on emerging/Asian markets?

Last year was the property bubble as everyone piled in at the top, I see everyone talking about China today as everyone piles in at the top again. Will people ever learn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

In fairness, the guy has said he doesn't want to lose money, so why are people recommending equity funds and particularly those betting on emerging/Asian markets?
    I think the thread kind of got off track, but for the original poster a deposit account would probably be best. I think most people would agree with that because it is safe.
    Last year was the property bubble as everyone piled in at the top, I see everyone talking about China today as everyone piles in at the top again. Will people ever learn
    I don't think people learn until they have lost money. (me included:) ). I have an interest in following emerging markets, commodities etc. but doesnt necessarily mean i have invested or would invest in them. I suspect its the same for many other posters.
    Speaking of China, i do own one Chinese stock though :)

Today the Shanghai market is down nearly 10%.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Today the Shanghai market is down nearly 10%.....
    and as usual brings down the other markets...joy.

Friends;

If I am going to start investing in Shares; What is the best way to startup?

i.e. I have a current account at AIB and I can use it for buying shares but this need at least 10 days to be setup..

So I am looking for a faster and cheaper way to start buying some shares

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

hmmm wrote:

Last year was the property bubble as everyone piled in at the top, I see everyone talking about China today as everyone piles in at the top again. Will people ever learn?

The guy indicated he was looking for options on 'investing' and subsequently stated he didn't like losing money. Well for starters most people would not be interested in the latter and putting money in a Deposit account would hardly be considered 'investing'? Investing implies a willingness to take a chance ( risk level is subjective but ultimately a personal choice).

You're right that the Asian markets are not for the fainthearted but wrong in criticising others for taking a risk. IMO problems begin when people stop learning!

Advertisement