Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How hard to nick is my motor

Options
  • 22-02-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I just bought an Audi A4 1.9 TDI Sport - 2004 model. It has an alarm and immobiliser.

I'm wondering how hard/easy these are to break into and/or steal without keys so I can decided if I need to use a chain, steering wheel lock etc to put off any would-be thief (its a pretty flash looking car). I've had cars taken from me where I live before - older, less secure cars.

I fully intend to sleep with the keys under my pillow so short of confronting me for the keys, they wont be had.

But - do I need a chain, steering wheel lock etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's virtually impossible to start the car without the keys. But on the other hand it could simply be 'lifted' with a truck if someone wanted it badly enough. Adding a chain etc, etc, wont do any harm as there is a school of thought that says you can never have too much security.

As regards sleeping with the keys under your pillow, I personally wouldn't do that. If someone breaks into your home for the keys then they most likely won't leave until they get them, which could result in confrontation and you may come out the (very injured) looser.

If the car is nicked then it's time for the motor insurance company to cough up rather than the health insurance company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    As regards sleeping with the keys under your pillow, I personally wouldn't do that. If someone breaks into your home for the keys then they most likely won't leave until they get them, which could result in confrontation and you may come out the (very injured) looser.

If the car is nicked then it's time for the motor insurance company to cough up rather than the health insurance company!!

I agree 100%

Locks, chains, bollards etc. just might divert the attention of the thieves to another car. I couldn't be bothered with any of those myself either though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if its wanted its taken, but the chain slows em down so they may leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The "TDI" badge is normally good enough to cause the joyriders to pass it up. It is hardly valuable enough for a professional car thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

maidhc wrote:
    The "TDI" badge is normally good enough to cause the joyriders to pass it up. It has hardly valuable enough for a professional car thief.
    I'd have to say that I'd agree with you. But at the same time it's a grand yoke to use as the 'rendevous' car after a robbery - ditch the fast getaway car and then toddle off in a TDI.

\I'll go back to writing my novel.............:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

crosstownk wrote:
    I'd have to say that I'd agree with you. But at the same time it's a grand yoke to use as the 'rendevous' car after a robbery - ditch the fast getaway car and then toddle off in a TDI.

\I'll go back to writing my novel.............:D
    Script for Transporter 3? :p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

m_stan wrote:
    I fully intend to sleep with the keys under my pillow so short of confronting me for the keys, they wont be had.
    A car can be replaced - you/your family cannot! Leave the keys downstairs! if someone breaks in looking for the car they will grab the keys and leave without putting a hammer to your head - grim but I do know of someone it happened to*!!!

* see here (and there is really nothing left of him)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

kbannon wrote:
    A car can be replaced - you/your family cannot! Leave the keys downstairs! if someone breaks in looking for the car they will grab the keys and leave without putting a hammer to your head - grim but I do know of someone it happened to*!!!

* see here (and there is really nothing left of him)!!!

My thoughts exactly. Don't leave them out in plain view put I would not bring them up to bed with me. Insurance will replace your car but not you or your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, i'd say there is practically no chance of that happening with the OP's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I tend to agree that the letters TDI will be as good a deterrent as any chain.

I keep my keys in the bedroom mainly cos my house keys are connected to the same keyring. I want to be able to get out of my house quicky in an emergency i.e. fire upstairs. One case of a hammer attack in another country is not going to change my mind or put a fear in me. My car's a GTI 3 door so a useless getaway car I can't imagine the driver getting out to let the passengers into the back in a robbery situation:D

I know it would be a good joyriders car but I'll take my chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

endplate wrote:
    I tend to agree that the letters TDI will be as good a deterrent as any chain

Not because it's a TDI, but because it is a 3 years old car. I'd guess most break-ins for keys are for new cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

endplate wrote:
    I tend to agree that the letters TDI will be as good a deterrent as any chain.

The letters "316i" on my old beamer didn't stop the swines taking that and making a nice mess of it.

Thanks for the feedback. What I was really looking for was what crosstownk said:
    crosstownk wrote:
    It's virtually impossible to start the car without the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

m_stan wrote:
    The letters "316i" on my old beamer didn't stop the swines taking that and making a nice mess of it.

Thanks for the feedback. What I was really looking for was what crosstownk said:
    My guess is that thieves look for one of two things:

1.) An easy car to steal, in which case anything older will do.

2.) A very powerful and/or expensive car that justifies the effort and risk involved in breaking into a house to get the keys.

If your car, like the OPs, falls into neither category then i'd say you can relax.

Advertisement