Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2(H) question

Options
  • 22-02-2007 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hey, if anyone could clear this issue up I would be greatfull.
    I had my English paper 2 paper today and it was Ok except that in the comparative question I only compared two texts as the question said to use a minimum of two texts.

I used Death of a salesman for the single text and only realised I didn't mention Macbeth in the comparative.
    Will the comparative get 0 marks for not mentioning Macbeth?
    Also, is one full booklet(13 pages) enough or too little for paper two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Famous_Séamus

You cant just swap your single text with your comparative!! Is that wahat you're saying??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Taken from the 06 marking scheme...
    THERE IS NO ATTEMPT AT SHAKESPEARE (Higher Level only)

Consider the following example.

• Single Text Pride and Prejudice = 40 ex 60
    • Mark the Comparative answer as per the marking scheme = 48 ex 70
    • As there is no Shakespeare attempt, deduct one third of the mark awarded for the Comparative question (rounded down) – in this case 16 marks, giving an adjusted total of 32. This is now the final mark for the Comparative answer.
    • In the unlikely event that the fraction of marks to be deducted from the Comparative answer is greater than the mark already awarded for the Single Text, simply disallow the mark for the Single Text and allow the full, original mark for the Comparative answer to stand. For example: Single Text = 12 ex 60, Comparative = 48 ex 70 – Adjusted Comparative mark is 32 and 32 + 12 = 44 i.e. 4 marks less than the original Comparative mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

^^dry one. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Well I compared How many miles to Babylon and My left foot for the comparitive, and It said you can use two or more texts that two is the minimum.
    I would have put death of a salesman into the comparitive as a third but didnt as I used it in the single text, but I found a question in the single text on Death of a salesman and done that for the single text, as I know more about it than Macbeth.
    I think Im screwed:(.......ahh well, aint nothing I can do now:)

Thanks for that info Purplefistmixer.
    Cant Believe how Stupid a mistake I made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That's what the pre's are there for :). Although I can guarentee you that people will end up making the exact same mistakes come June!

Yeah I guess so.
    I wont be making that same mistake in june LOL.
    Thanks for the quick replys people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I know someone who wrote 12 pages for his whole two english papers in the LC and got An A1!! So 13 pages is far enough as long as you have made some valid points and the quality of writing is high!

Well I have tried to be as clear and concise and to the point as possible.
    I just thought it wasn't enough as I seen people in my exam hall filling up pages and pages upon pages of text, but I presume it would be hard to stay to the point when writing so much extra unnecessary detail, as afterwards people told me they wrote 7 or 8 pages for poetry even though I am certain that question is only 50 marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Naikon wrote:
    , is one full booklet(13 pages) enough or too little for paper two?

Such a question couldn't possibly be answered properly... There is no 'enough', although there is 'too little' but obviously it's what you write, not how much you write, unless it is all brilliant obviously. I've seen people who churn out 12 pages come out with low C's and those who've written much less get A's, quantity is no substitute for quality remember.

Depends on your handwriting too.... Like mine is huge, so I usually end up writing reams for both papers, doesn't necessarily make it good mind... If you've cropped up 20 pages of writing that's all relevant, interesting and well-researched then you should score big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I agree. Every one comes out of both english tests comparing how much they wrote for this question and that question etc. Some people like to think that if they just keep writing until the time runs out they're guaranteed a good grade. Which ofc is totally incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

You can get an A1 in 2 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

You'd wana have pretty small writing for that

Advertisement