Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless zero configuration service not starting automatically

Options
  • 22-02-2007 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

How do I get the wireless zero configuration service to start on reboot, or is there an alternative?
    I also have to reconfigure the wireless network to use it each time.

I set the wireless zero configuration service to start automatically but it is not started when I restart my laptop.
    The laptop is a HP with a 3Com wireless dongle to connect to the wireless broadband router.
    If I start the service manually it starts fine, I then haveto goto the wireless network connection and configure it to use the WZC service, for each time I restart the laptop.
    The 3Com wireless dongle has it's own driver, is this interfering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sounds like you have some program installed that is interfering with it alright.

Especially if you have to reconfigure every time. Sounds like a pain in the A$$.

What program is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do you use Windows to manage your wireless connections, or a third party program? Did you update any drivers recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Start--> Run --> type in "services.msc"

go down the list to wireless zero configuration and double click. change start up to type to automatic and click on Start under service status....

this should work otherwise delete the program that configuring it

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

3Coms driver program must be managing it I presume, but shouldn't the WZC service be started anyway?
    The other obstacle is to configure the wireless network to use the WZC service when it's on!

I've just spotted the other responses. I've tried the automatic setup in services, still it is not started when I reboot the laptop. Would this be because nothing is using it and so it doesn't start.
    I don't think I can delete the 3Com app, it came with the driver installation that I had to install in order to get the wireless dongle to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The service doesnt have to be started for your wireless to work, it depends on your setup.

For example i have an inbuilt dell wireless card , i use the dell utility that comes with it .
    (theres a checkbox in this program that gives me the option
    "let this tool manage your wireless settings")

Is there some 3com software that you installed as well?

Ed

yes there is 3Com software installed.
    I'll have a look at it again, maybe I do not need the Wireless Zero Configuration service at all, maybe there's a 3Com service that should be set to automatic instead, I don't think so though, nothing about the wireless network appears when the 3Com app is running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robert33644

How do I get the wireless zero configuration service to start on reboot, or is there an alternative?
    I also have to reconfigure the wireless network to use it each time.

I set the wireless zero configuration service to start automatically but it is not started when I restart my laptop.
    The laptop is a HP with a 3Com wireless dongle to connect to the wireless broadband router.
    If I start the service manually it starts fine, I then haveto goto the wireless network connection and configure it to use the WZC service, for each time I restart the laptop.
    The 3Com wireless dongle has it's own driver, is this interfering?

The same thing was happening to me and it cost me $100 to have a tech guy fix it. So here it is.. after re starting Zero configuration again.. go to START then to ALL PROGRAMS then find your wireless card..( wireless utilities).. I have a gateway laptop with XP.. so I have a BROADCOM WIRELESS.. go to its UTILITIES....UNCHECK.. the box that says.. LET THIS TOOL MANAGE MY WIRELESS CONNECTIONS.... press apply and ok.. you shold be go to .. $100 over a little box.. DAMMMM.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robert33644

The same thing was happening to me and it cost me $100 to have a tech guy fix it. So here it is.. after re starting Zero configuration again.. go to START then to ALL PROGRAMS then find your wireless card..( wireless utilities).. I have a gateway laptop with XP.. so I have a BROADCOM WIRELESS.. go to its UTILITIES....UNCHECK.. the box that says.. LET THIS TOOL MANAGE MY WIRELESS CONNECTIONS.... press apply and ok.. you shold be go to .. $100 over a little box.. DAMMMM.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Scuba G

I had the same issue in work and it was caused by iPass software, so any 3rd party comm's apps might be controlling it, you can run a script, which I did for awhile, as constantly having a user go into services was a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wendog

I found that iPass Connect while enabled in the system tray on startup, stopped the WZC service from starting. Removing iPass from startup in "msconfig" solved it. Other posts about OEM wireless software (intel, 3comm, etc) in startup is also worth checking. Within university environments to allow use of "Eduroam", Windows wireless manager works the best, so disabling the OEM Wifi Mgrs is required.

Advertisement