Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two PC's wont communicate with each other

Options
  • 22-02-2007 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

I have a network setup here at home- laptop and desktop both connected to Sitecom router via Cat5. Eircom router connected onto the sitecom. Both computers recieve internet fine, except I cant get either computer to communicate with the other- IE to share files, printers. File sharing is switched on. When I try to map a shared folder I get 'Not found' message.

Any suggestions appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

can each PC ping each other from a command prompt?

any personal firewalls running? (OS?)

when you map a drive, do you do it through the windows wizard or the net use command in a dos box? maybe a user account issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

the fact he is able to get an error when mapping a folder indicates he can actually see the other computer.
    Is this right? When you browse the network its there but you cant access it? Thats either a firewall problem ore just as likely a case that you are not authenticated. If both PC's use a different username/password that each one has it in the users list (not usually needed for XP home).
    You can enable the guest account too.

However if you cant even see each computer then as previous poster said, make sure they can ping each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I have had cases before where you will be able to see other computers on the workgroup, but still not able to map a folder because the right ports aren't open on the firewall. Generally what I would do would be to allow all incoming and outgoing traffic from all addresses appropriate in the 192.168.x range. That should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

All,
    Thanx for all the replies. It was indeed a firewall issue- ironed it out. Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

No offense to the OP as I know it's frustrating but methinks at this stage a sticky with the title "LAN Communications?..ITS YOUR FIREWALL..90% of the Time" would help a great deal :), seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes what creed said... I would go higher than 90% of the time... this goes not only for lan communication but even internet access can be turned off with norton internet security for instance.. :D

Advertisement