Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing out mobo and processor - do I need to re-format

Options
  • 22-02-2007 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Sup Lads,

Just recently installed and activated a fresh install of Vista about a week ago. Today I got myself a new motherboard etc and obviously need to pull out my old kit.

However, as I have just recently done a fresh install, I would prefer not to have to go to the bother again. What do ye think?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I would if I was switching from AMD to Intel but you may be ok if you're sticking with AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah went with the re-format in the end. Couldn't be arsed fixing any potential problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

You didn't need to do a reformat. All you need to do is uninstall the Nvidia/Intel HDD controller drivers and (optionally) replace it with a standard windows HDD driver, power down, change whatever bits'n'pieces you want and power up again with your new setup. Windows then boots up and reinstalls the correct drivers.

I've done it a few times between AMD and Intel systems (moving the HDD from one machine to the other and back again) and it always works. Sometimes it asks you to reactivate, sometimes not (not a problem if, like me, you can't be bothered to activate it in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Winner, will keep that in mind the next time I get around to it..

Now to my next business ;) selling my old system :)

Advertisement