Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurring dreams

Options
  • 22-02-2007 8:10pm

Is there really a meaning to recurring dreams? I've been having one quite often for the last month or two:

I find myself in my old school, repeating 6th year and my leaving cert. I feel really angry and aren't getting on very well in my studies (basically because I couldn't be bothered). That's all I can remember at the moment but when I wake up I think I have the leaving coming up soon, only to realise when I'm fully awake that I did it nearly 5 years ago and no repeating was done.

Last night was related though I can't recall the same image. I remember being at the back of the school, where we usually went for PE, getting stick from one of my classmates. He was in my real 6th year and did give me stick in real life too.

I'm aware that none of you know me so I'm not expecting anyone to say "it's 100% this..." but I would like to know if there could be some hidden meaning to all this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Leaving cert is stressful, even if you did well. Any new sources of stress in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OP - this is a very common dream. I often dream I'm back doing my LC Maths or Irish (two of my worst), paniking because I havn't revised, then getting very indignant and saying "hang on, I've a degree, why am I doing this again?" then waking up in a cold sweat!

The common belief about such dreams is that they are related to a stress in your current workplace, usually due to feelings that you're inadequate or feeling like a phoney. Typically you'll consciously surpress such feelings in the 9-to-5 grind, so they'll manifest themselves in your unconscious at night.

I'd suggest you have a work-related issue you need to tackle up-front. Given what you said about your dream, it might be an issue related to bullying in the workplace.

Well I was stuck in a rut for a long time and got a job about a month ago. But I quit after 2½ weeks due to lousy working conditions. I'm now under pressure to find something else, got the idea to visit the expo in Croke Park next weekend so I might just do that.

The whole "get a job" thing is a big issue in my life at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Karsini wrote:
    The whole "get a job" thing is a big issue in my life at present.
    Well, there ya go then.

Exam-type dreams are always work-related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Well, there ya go then.

Exam-type dreams are always work-related.

Not necessarily. Having to sit the LC is a common recurring dream for a lot of people and it is not specifically work-related, can be linked to any stressful situation going on at the time. I feel for you OP, I have the exact same dream when I'm stressed and I wake up in a cold sweat! Awful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement