Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV BB - option without line rental?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone know if UTV provides broadband service without line rental (pure BB)? Im on Clicksilver atm but i can't find any information about that on their website.

Sure, i will give them a call and ask but wanted to check with others first :p

P.s. I know BT has such an offer so why not UTV.

Rgds,
    Tav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm sure they do. But why pay extra 28 Euro to Eircom instead of a cheaper bundled price? Maybe I don't understand your question.

Anyway unless you have LLU, it's all *REALLY* eircom (calls, line rental, BB) no matter who sends you the bill.

Even with Glump or LLU the lions share all STILL goes to eircom. There is little real competition on DSL as the only people making real money from DSL are eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

Hi and thx for reply.

The thing is that i pay €40 for BB to UTV (I know that i can reduce it now to €35 but this means that i opt for a new contract)

+ i pay €24 for line rental to UTV as well (not eircom).

Since i don't really use my telephone i would like to have BB only and get rid of the line rental charge.

Ah.. but you can't!
    The DSL Broadband runs over the telephone wires. You have to pay Line rental to someone for those.

Unless you get a wireless broadband, which obviously needs no phone line rental (The clue is in the name).

However Wireless providers are even more unequal than phone line broadband providers. Depending on location, supplier, technology: The Wireless Broadband varies from worse than dialup to fabulous (better than UTV DSL on phone line).

If you are changing to wireless to save maybe €35 a month:
    1) Don't cancel phone line or UTV DSL till you have it and make sure it works.
    2) Research the suppliers and different options they offer.
    3) There is one supplier possibly and one technology possibly(a different supplier with different systems) you really, really don't want at all.
    4) Satellite, while using no wires, is not to be considered instead of phone line & DSL. It is for people living far from civilisation. Unfortunately that might be 15% or more of Ireland geographically. Anyway Satellite is about 1K to install and €100 a month.

Someone like Sponge Bob or someone else with less of vested interest can advise on wireless suppliers. It's important to know exact town/village, view of masts etc you have for advice on Wireless. Good wireless is available from about €25 a month, no line rental even though it has a virtual phone line.

I think for BB and combined phone rental BT might be cheaper than UTV. If you aren't paying phone line rental to BT or UTV, you have to pay eircom and it will go up. But it's still really rental to eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Pure BB, or Naked DSL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_dsl) is not available in Ireland. Eircom make too much money on line rental to entertain the possibility of this! ;-)

It does exist. Just called something different and the broadband supplier pays €17 line rental to eircom.

It's better known as LLU broadband. There is no analogue line. The phone calls are done by VOIP using SIP and ATA.

No matter what it is called or how it is done, the line rental will be "hidden" in the BB charge. No-one anywhere gives away infrastructure for free.

• Advertisement

Today i confirmed with UTV that you can't get BB only (without paying line rental).

Going back to BT offer:
    THIS ONE
    does this mean that they provide you with BB but you separately have to pay line rental to EIRCOM?

So i have two options:
    Switch to BT - but i have doubts about their BB quality (am i wrong?)

Get DIGIWEB Metro - but my current DSL router will not work with them and it means that i have to fork out additional cash in order to save (?!) ><

I know about the sattelite option but as you mentioned it's far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

BT is fine once its up and working but its a nightmare in between ordering and connection, mediocre sales, support, billing etc.

Yes, if BT have a package NOT including Line Rent then you pay Eircom or CPS. Unless it is magnet GLUMP or Smart Telecom LLU or fibre ANY BB on phone you MUST pay Line Rental to SOMEONE. If not included the BB/ISP bill then from Eircom or a CPS.

You can't have Broadband via phone wires without renting the wires.

watty wrote:
    Yes, if BT have a package NOT including Line Rent then you pay Eircom or CPS. Unless it is magnet GLUMP or Smart Telecom LLU or fibre ANY BB on phone you MUST pay Line Rental to SOMEONE. If not included the BB/ISP bill then from Eircom or a CPS.

You can't have Broadband via phone wires without renting the wires.

OK.
    But btw this is silly that you have to pay line rental if you don't use it:( I know that by saying this i will not change anything but reasonable solution would be that i pay, let say, half of the normal line rental and EIRCOM doesn't supply me with any telephon-related services.

I think we have to wait some time until UE will pass some regulations about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tav wrote:
    But btw this is silly that you have to pay line rental if you don't use it:(

Depends on what you view as a "line".....if you consider it the "phone line", then you're right.

But essentially the "line" is the cable running from the exchange to your house. That's what you're renting, and the BB service then uses that facility.

• Advertisement

In fact the voice only uses a bit off it and DSL more of it and needs higher quality, so logically rental should be less for voice only and higher for BB :(

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Depends on what you view as a "line".....if you consider it the "phone line", then you're right.

But essentially the "line" is the cable running from the exchange to your house. That's what you're renting, and the BB service then uses that facility.

Well i mean that they give me, my very own telephone number and allow to make calls and receive them.

And the other thing is that i use their cables and i pay for having this number but don't use it >.<
    ...cruel world...

Advertisement