Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfriend losing her way....

• 22-02-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - my girlfriend is in a bit of dilema. Up until last November she was in a college course that she was over half way through, with a definite and very encouraging career path. She was only working in her job to get her through the final 18 months of the course, before going professional.

Now, through a series of unfortunate events, she lost this course, and due to this cannot attend another similar course in another college due to the manner in which she lost the course.

She's desperately depressed as she, naturally enough, doesn't want to keep doing what was originally a temporary job for the rest of her life. I want to help, but I'm really struggling to think of ideas for her.

I guess what I'm looking for is something or somewhere to point her. Are there people that can sit someone clever and intelligent down and direct them on their options? I'd really like to provide her with something to get her chin up, to show her that there are options. Has anyone dealt with anybody like this? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

When i dropped out of my college course last year and didn't have a clue what to do next i went back to my old guidance counsellor in school and she was happy to help. Maybe she could do that or go back to the college career guidance counsellor for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Wanttohelp wrote:
    Now, through a series of unfortunate events, she lost this course, and due to this cannot attend another similar course in another college due to the manner in which she lost the course.

Was a year out an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Wanttohelp wrote:

Not to sound insensitive, but what the hell did she manage to do that means another college won't ever take her back for the same course? What was she studying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

As chucky so eloquently pointed out I think we are going to need some more info if we are to supply any decent advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

............drugs?

seriously; first thing that comes to mind is possession on campus: they practically know you do it in the dorm, but bringing it to class is like....smoking in your dorm and not going to class...because you will be kicked out. permanently. and stuff. I like stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Guidance counsellor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Wanttohelp wrote:

I couldnt see this as legal, im sure that she will be allowed pick up the course again soon and return to college. If not, unless its a highly exclusive course, she should be able to find a suitable alternative and work part time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

My first thought was caught cheating, not drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Ok, my apologies for not including more information. It's not drugs, and she wasn't refused from doing the same course. Basically, she was unable to study for the course she was working on due to interferences from other people, myself included. These interferences threw her off track so much that she fell way behind and was not able to catch up as the course won't tolerate slacking. She spoke to the people running the course and they said that she was wasting her time trying and effectively kicked her out for wasting their time. This was expected after not being able to keep up with things.

Anyway, a few months passed and she decided to apply for a few courses that are related to what she was doing (in different colleges) but these courses didn't even ask her in for an interview, probably due to dropping out of the last course. This means that the career path she had chosen is now closed completely as she can't go back to the original course and can't proceed with another related course. She now doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.

My question isn't really what to do regarding college, it's more a request to get some information about where to go next. She's 27 btw, and the course she was doing was a post-grad, so please keep that in mind.

We had thought of a careers guidance person but we're not fully sure who would do it and how much help they'd be. Thanks for all your suggestions though.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 iluvmusic

Maybe your girlfriend could benefit from some professional guidance counselling. If you go to this site: http://www.igc.ie/ and click on find a guidance counsellor, they'll provide you with a list.

Another forum she may find useful is http://www.daycourses.com/forum/.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement