Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmitting & receiving a Quicktime stream thru 2 firewalls

Options
  • 22-02-2007 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I have a wireless camera connected to my home router.

I'm able to connect to my router on port 8080 at work.

I'm able to connect to my web camera's web server on port 53062.
    (Using port forwarding in the router.)

I'm trying to connect to the Quicktime stream from the camera from work. The port for this is usually 554, but I believe this won't work for the firewall at work. (I think). I need to figure out a suitable port that will have camera and the pc at work talk to eachother. The quicktime player doesn't like port 53063.

Any ideas? This could be construed as bypassing work's firewall, but it just to check up on things at home.:)

The attached picture illustrates the working setup atm.

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Have a look at logmein, remote desktop on to your PC.

Try and set your Camara to work off Port 80

Also seriously try and ask your IT team, buy someone lunch or some such, I presonnally try and help anyone in work that has an IT problem and if I can't help them I explain to them exactly why I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Not a bad idea, but I'd wouldn't like to have a PC on all the time at home, just to access the camera. I work in large multi-national so approaching IT support would be probably be a non-runner.

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I got some info on firewalls at work.....
    Streaming audio and video is not specifically banned today, but we cannot open up specific ports just for streaming protocols. For a while the RTSP protocol (Real Inc's Real Time Streaming Protocol) was unofficially allowed thru the proxy servers, but that service is now discontinued. However, you can still access streaming files using web protocols (HTTP or HTTPS), as long as the server makes the files available via one of those methods. For example, m3u files on the Internet web that point to mp3 files on the Internet web should work just fine for audio players like Winamp.

I'm not exacty sure what they are saying by using web protocols, anyone care to explain?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A lot of apps. allow you to tunnel non-http traffic through HTTP (and https) ports (80 and 443) in order to bypass these kind of restrictions, it's why Static suggested using port 80. One way company's combat this is to use an IPS to enforce strict HTTP protocol rules (ie. it inspects port 80 traffic to ensure it is really HTTP, and if not can alert the watchmen/block the traffic). From the sounds of it though your IT folks aren't doing this. Follow Static's suggestion if possible.

Advertisement