Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC Courses for astronomy...any help?

Options
  • 22-02-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hey i did really bad in my leaving cert.(but i completed it, which is the main thing). So i don't think i'd get into a college like UCD or DCU or UCC etc..
    But i wanted to know are there any courses i could do let's say through FAS or "work experience" etc..?
    The idea is to get to a course no matter how low level it is (diploma). To use it as a stepping stone to a higher level course (degree) in a proper college...

Any info thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Dunno man, but there are plenty of OU type courses, not necessarily in Ireland though..... they might get you on the road to where you want to be.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Sn@kebite,

I spotted this the last time i was on the AI web page .. http://www.astronomy.ie/eveningclass.html

might be of interest to you.

SOP

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Sn@kebite,

I spotted this the last time i was on the AI web page .. http://www.astronomy.ie/eveningclass.html

might be of interest to you.

SOP

Wow, thanks alot SOP!!! looks really intriguing...:D

And only for €120...:)

EDIT:damn!! I really would like to hear the Pat Kenny interview with David about the course content....:( (Link is broken)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Sn@kebite wrote:
    Wow, thanks alot SOP!!! looks really intriguing...:D

And only for €120...:)

EDIT:Damn!! I really would like to hear the Pat Kenny interview with David about the course content....:(

All they do is teach you there are now 8 planets in the Solar System, how to point a telescope, and some other stuff a book by Patrick Moore would give you in an evening's read. You should check John Hopkins University, they have distance learning courses, as well as the Open University (as already stated) - and they give you certificates too. I have my name down to do a few (once the free time becomes available again!). But, a couple fo astrobuddies of mine have already done distance learning courses like these in Astronomy - you should try putting u a post like this one on wwwirishastronomy.org - you'll get loads of useful information from them there!

:D

Seanie M wrote:
    All they do is teach you there are now 8 planets in the Solar System, how to point a telescope, and some other stuff a book by Patrick Moore would give you in an evening's read. :D

OH ok, i think i already know all of that. Thaks for the heads-up Seanie.

• Advertisement

I might need a little help here....:o
    Are there any links to Johns Hopkins Online (distance) Courses? (Brousing the site is a bit hectic.(I assume you mean J.Hopkins of Maryland USA?))
    Or for Open University etc...

Google just give alot of jargon...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Sn@kebite wrote:
    I might need a little help here....:o
    Are there any links to Johns Hopkins Online (distance) Courses? (Brousing the site is a bit hectic.(I assume you mean J.Hopkins of Maryland USA?))
    Or for Open University etc...

Google just give alot of jargon...:confused:

You're right, you would have gotten a lot of jargon! I am wrong - I meant John Moores University, in Liverpool!

:o

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Nice one Seanie, I was wondering how useful the AI course was. I must check out the other courses you mention, might do one in the next couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

are the any degree/diploma courses in astromony in ireland, what deg/dilpomacourse would you do to route yourself towards that?

Thanks everyone for your help!! :D

And thanks Seanie for clearing up that mistake:)

I have loads of info from this site and www.irishastronomy.ie :) for the near future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement