Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour Render

• 22-02-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Has anyone used colour render on their build...?
    Am thinking seriously about it, looks great (if finished properly)...dont have to paint (for years anyway).....downside is the extra expense to prob. the most expensive trade of all.....i thinks its coming in at €7 sq metre extra for the render on top of the plasteres rate.....
    ANy advise appreciated....
    Can you get the render from builers providers...i know irish aggregates do it in cork....

Comments

Ewan wrote:
    Has anyone used colour render on their build...?
    Am thinking seriously about it, looks great (if finished properly)...dont have to paint (for years anyway).....downside is the extra expense to prob. the most expensive trade of all.....i thinks its coming in at €7 sq metre extra for the render on top of the plasteres rate.....
    ANy advise appreciated....
    Can you get the render from builers providers...i know irish aggregates do it in cork....

the thing about render is that it may cause green stains on the wall as it did with my sisters house. to be fair that may have been caused by another factor in the plastering of the wall. ill ask and reply when i can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We went with STO coloured render, it is not a concrete based product, rather a silicate based plaster, it is a complete system with fibreglass mesh that you push into the base coat and corner beads with fibreglass wings.
    You apply the base coat first then the top coat which is textured with a specific size of aggregate, from memory we got grain size 10 which is quite fine.
    Plasterer applies the first coat and sticks the glass mesh in and trowels it in.
    same for the corner beads.
    Leave to dry, then apply a very thin topcoat 1.5mm thick, I opted for a nap finish as the smooth finish is very hard to get even.
    It is not cheap but it is a quality product and is more or less maintenance free .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

we're using K-rend coloured polymer render, I think with a subcoat and finish coat

two things we've noticed:
    * it stinks terribly :eek:
    * if it's applied and then rain gets on the top coat then you get streaks - this top coat has to be removed and reapplied

as it's not exactly unknown for it to rain on occasion in Ireland bear this in mind when planning your job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

We used white sand, white cement and lime, to get a chalk white finish which we will not have to paint for years , hopefully. It was only slightly more expensive than the standard FINISH. Labour was the same, think materials were €300 dearer. We are very happy with finish.

Advertisement