Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Travel

Options
  • 23-02-2007 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Is there any research going on for improving space-travel times? I know they are looking at replacing the rocket (which is immensely inefficient) but the last time I checked the new methods would still result in relatively slow space-travel. Like, it would still take decades to even reach the Oort cloud: The edge of our solar system.

...Is even wishing to one day be able to travel to say, Proxima centauri, just a pipe dream?

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Even if you could go at the speed of light, it would still take x years to get there!! It's possible over 10-20yrs time scale but not idea!!
    We could easily send probes (unmanned) there using ion thrusters but it would take ~10-20 yrs!! Plus another 20 yrs for the signal to return to us :(

For faster than light propulsion (not yet possible) we need new theories :(
    Stay tuned, because a break through could occur at any time :)
    We're talking warp drives and worn holes/tunnels etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

After you saying that I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a 'but we can't go over the speed of light' debate! But yes, even at the speed of light space travel looks pretty damn bleak.

We'd obviously all have passed-on by the time something major is done anyway. That leads me to my next question: Would you be happy to become immortal in order to witness the advances that the human race is yet to make (regarding cosmology)?

Kevin.

Advertisement