Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who passed the test first time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cast_iron wrote:
    Surely you didn't get the B+E at the same time as the C/C1+E??
    Yep, when you pass C+E you are automatically granted C1+E and B+E. Presumably if you pass a test in an articulated truck, they feel that you can manage a car and trailer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Female. I passed on the second attempt 13 years ago in Belfast. I failed the first one because I didn't use the mirrors early enough before signalling.. oh and there was the using the handbrake to stop incident :o
    A friend had a theory re pass/ fail rates and religion of tester/ testee. My first tester was William Abernethy and the second was Sean Murphy. My friend got passed by a Michael O Donnell** despite mounting the pavement when turning a corner beside a school entrance.. at lunchtime.. the place buzzing with kids.
    Note this was my friends theory not mine. I deserved my fail first time. Test was 1 full hour...I couldn't believe it's only half an hour here.

** made up names but you get the picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I did on my motorcycle and then later in my car..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Passed on the first go. Dazzled him with my rules knowledge and that seemed to relax the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Passed (B) first time - 10 years ago this summer.

My wife failed first time - so that's another no for the short skirt theory. She was failed for crossing the white line, that had worn off the road!

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

i find that poll difficult to believe.

if 80% passed first time waiting list and failure rates at test centres wouldn't be so high.

also in the vast array of family, friends, colleuges and acquantances i know only 6 or 7 passed first time, and of them most were more than 20 years ago too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Yep, passed it first time. It'll be 4 years this May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

What are the failure rates? Out of my 6 close mates all bar 1 passed first time, and these in the last 8 years.

The 1 fail has now failed once more and not bothered turning up for a third.

**Please note, I DO NOT CONDONE THIS BEHAVIOUR :D **

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

2 goes for me,
    First was 3 weeks after starting to learn to drive,passed 2nd attempt after 6 weeks.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I passed first time aswell, back in November '04.

The woman that was testing me wasn't even looking at my driving half of the time, she was staring out the window of the car. Not that I'm complaining. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Yep, when you pass C+E you are automatically granted C1+E and B+E. Presumably if you pass a test in an articulated truck, they feel that you can manage a car and trailer. :)
    Maybe back when you done it.:) I know artic drivers who aren't licensed to drive a car and trailer. Now, you must do the B+E test separately regardless of what you have. It's a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yep Apr 16th 1997, 3 days before my 18th birthday....nice early present from the examiner I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Kadeshh wrote:

if 80% passed first time waiting list and failure rates at test centres wouldn't be so high.

also in the vast array of family, friends, colleuges and acquantances i know only 6 or 7 passed first time, and of them most were more than 20 years ago too...

I'd guess the reponders to the poll are a bit of a self selection group - the most likely people to responded are those who passed first time.

But the fact that this is motors forum, populated (by and large) by people who are interested in cars and driving might also be a factor.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Kadeshh wrote:

Me too... Isn't the failure rate over 50%?

Though I suppose many who fall into that category may be those who are not really interested in passing..

Also I doubt those who didn't pass first time would be as willing to share tales of their success as present company have..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

2nd time lucky for me.

cast_iron wrote:
    Maybe back when you done it.:) I know artic drivers who aren't licensed to drive a car and trailer. Now, you must do the B+E test separately regardless of what you have. It's a joke really.
    cast iron - they must be mistaken!:eek:

May I draw your attention to Road Traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI352Y1999.html#ZZSI352Y1999A30

Section 30 Sub-section (3)

(3) For the purposes of sub-article (1) of this article a driving licence in respect of a category set out in column 1 of the following Table shall be regarded as a driving licence in respect of the category or any of the categories set out in column 2 of the said Table opposite the mention in column 1 of that category—

(Taken from table - wouldn't copy and paste properly)

EC = B, C, C1, EB, EC, EC1, M and W

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I see.
    So, by law they have the license, but they don't actually have it printed on the license itself. It's probably down to those in the offices who handle the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SoBe wrote:
    me,my sister and her husband passed within 3 hours of each other on the same day.all first time tests too

My dad went right after me, with the same tester. We both passed.

cast_iron wrote:
    I see.
    So, by law they have the license
    Yes
    cast iron wrote:
    but they don't actually have it printed on the license itself. It's probably down to those in the offices who handle the licenses.
    Possibly, but when one obtains the Certificate of Competency after passing the relevant test, the tester usually circles the default categories which are automatically given with the category tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

yup , the day before I started college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Yep first time 4 years ago.

I done mine on a friday, sister done hers on the monday. Was crapping myself she'd pass and i'd fail. Both passed. 5 brothers failed first time so bit of gowan the girls for a day. No short skirts either. Wouldn't fancy doing it again, found it stressful, but the lessons were worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

me too and in Ballymun of all places at lunch time when all the little gits were out for lunch from schools. They seemed to know aswell which ones were doing tests and they were running out in front of us

Lex Luthor wrote:
    me too and in Ballymun of all places
    Presumably you mean Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I did mine "back in the day" before theory tests etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

colm_mcm wrote:
    I did mine "back in the day" before theory tests etc.

you mean your didnt get never overtake a mondeo lx out of a theory book:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that got covered in the practical (sadly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

I passed first time too! handnt been driving a car for a year, took 1 lesson ever in my life and that was the morning of the test! guy who i did the lesson with said i didnt have a chance in hell off passing it but i should do it as a practice run! miracles do happen!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Me !!!!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Yup, thank god. My mother did it the following morning and passed too. Great week for us back in 1999 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I did, 1st time , own car, friday evening, the test lasted 20 minutes woo hoo

Advertisement