Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ones else miss Roches?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

It was so handy for buying random household stuff. There's no comparable place in the city centre for such goods now. Not that impressed by Debenham's - mostly boring clothes there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wouldn't say I "miss" Roches, but Debenhams is far inferior. I think it's an attitudinal and image thing: Irish department stores have a definite look and feel, and Debenhams doesn't have it; they come across very 'british' in the way they operate. Marks and Sparks does too, but they get away with it because their products are better, imho. Their food is shít-hot anyway.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Roches was my first port of call for buying anything. I dislike Debenhams for reasons that I cannot quite put my finger on (maybe it's the staff or the new floor layout/decor, or even the products on offer, I don't know). I think I'd like if it were a proper department store; e.g. John Lewis, Selfridges, Lafayette, Karstadt etc.

Still, at least their website doesn't smack of complete ignorance by showing it (Cork) as being part of UK or 'Southern Ireland', unlike so many of the British chains that have invaded/homogenised Irish high streets.

dahamsta wrote:
    I wouldn't say I "miss" Roches, but Debenhams is far inferior. I think it's an attitudinal and image thing: Irish department stores have a definite look and feel, and Debenhams doesn't have it; they come across very 'british' in the way they operate. Marks and Sparks does too, but they get away with it because their products are better, imho. Their food is shít-hot anyway.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Yeah, I was in Debenhams yesterday morning lamenting the crap kitchen stuff selection.

Bring back Roches!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I'm really missing the houseware's section alright. They had a fantastic selection of reasonably priced kitchenware and it was about the only place in town that did. But not anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Aye, there's argos but there are always huge queues and I hate that you can't handle goods before you buy them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

it was also where people got babies from, where will the children come from now!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

the argos catalogue :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Roches is a big loss alright. The only alternative I see is Harvey norman, and it's not exactly walking distance from town. I can't bring myself to set foot in the place though. My kettle will have to explode. The radio ads where they shout and roar are obnoxious, they're bound to be as irritating in the shop itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yeah for household stuff Roches usually was the first port of call - the odd light bulbs, pest repellers, you name it, chances were they had it at a fairly reasonable price. Debenhams doesn't even come close - boring clothes & very expensive mostly useless or fancy faddy household stuff.
    Harvey Norman been there only once - they mostly have all sort of appliances & computer stuff. No nitty gritty household things. For that Heatons seems to be you best bet (or Micheal Guyneys if you dare to go inside :-))

• Advertisement
Advertisement