Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think the big trends this summer will be?

• 23-02-2007 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Not the ones in the magazines but the ones that Irish people actually wear! I'm not sure really - I don't think all those huge print dresses being touted as the next big thing will take off at all anyways...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

The nasty cut-off tights with maternity wear dress/top, probably in luminous eighties throw-back colours, coupled with... with... can you get Ugg sandals?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I don't think that there's much nice stuff around at the moment at all. I was going to a party last week & trapsed around every shop at least 3 times & still couldn't find anything nice.

As far as I know retro print, metalic, new rave & masculine are supposed to be in. You won't catch me wearing those smiley :) badges a second time round! I also think playsuits are gonna be big. Think boiler suits but shorts style. They're quite nice & could be dressed up or down.

I don't like all the prints as I think they're way too flashy but I suppose the teenagers/twenties will love them.

Metalics are nice too but only for clubbing.

The new rave is a bit too flashy but again can see the younger ones loving the bright colours. The likes of Clares & Penneys is full of mad pinks, yellows, greens in accessories. You'd nearly want sunglasses to walk in!

Personally I love all the pastel colours that are around like the lemon, turquoise blue & baby pink as it suits my colouring so I'll probably stick with those shades and faded jeans/white jeans.

Wedge shoes, dolly shoes & stilettos will be huge too I'd say in every possible colour, pattern imaginable. Plus jearsey dresses are tipped to be huge.

Shorts are huge at the moment but think its a bit cold for them now. Hopefully they'll still be around in the summer. I think a nice cream pair with a fitted jacket/waistcoat would be lovely with stilettos.

Sorry I've rambled but one last thing do anyone notice that most shops have the exact same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm totally ignoring the fashion at the moment because it is awful! Personally I'll be sticking to Havainas with longish shorts or comfy baggies. The only thing I like at the moment is that bright colours seem to be coming in so there'll be lots of nice plain tops available to play around with.

BIG handbags will stay for summer judging by what I've seen. So damn practical and I love it. I can't leave the house without my mobile, Filofax, make up bag, purse, bottle of water etc etc etc. Nice to be able to find cute big ones rather than just having a rucksack.

What is up with the maternity wear? It makes a size 6 girl look like a whale. Why would you do that to yourself?!?

The only things I've managed to buy lately have been quite basic. I bought a cream cardigan in Dunnes, blue sailory pumps in Penneys, a few hairclips in H&M, jumper in Esprit. Stopped bothering even going into River Island or Topshop because nothing really appeals to me in there anymore. It's very chavvy in my opinion or just plain ugly.

I think the nautical thing is cute in small doses and although it may be "so last year" will play around with it. Ralph Lauren in Arnotts seems to have a fair few things in that style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I also think playsuits are gonna be big. Think boiler suits but shorts style. They're quite nice & could be dressed up or down.

Sounds awful. I really don't get the shorts thing, they don't flatter anyone. A skirt in the same style and length makes legs look much, much better. Less boxy.

UB wrote:
    Sounds awful. I really don't get the shorts thing, they don't flatter anyone. A skirt in the same style and length makes legs look much, much better. Less boxy.

I've seen shorts on girls at the last two 21st's I've been at and they looked very well. Obviously you'd need toned legs but they make a change from a skirt. SUppose each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Shorts look horrible. Not sexy. Not sexy at all. 90% of lads I know don't see the attraction, some I know are repulsed, especially by the tweed business suit type shorts. Skirts are much sexier.

Shorts will prob be out of fashion by summer. I did read that monochrome /black and white stripes will be big. Gypsy skirts will prob be back too, merely because they are functional in hot weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I also think playsuits are gonna be big. Think boiler suits but shorts style. They're quite nice & could be dressed up or down.

Ashley Olsen and loads of celebs wore them about 9 months ago, so I think they've been and gone. Metallic stuff is in fashion at the moment, so prob will continue til summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i hate these geometric bright colours pattern things that are out its adds weight and chunkiness where there is none i like the pesanty skirt things that are meant to be coming in match them up with a plain string top or t shirt thing it looks nice i think you have to be quite tall to pull it off too though. think ill be spending summer in boardies and flip flops to be honest. the maternity things if you can use a belt dont look too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

All things yellow and green seem to be slowly creeping into the shops. Apart from that I've got nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Shorts look horrible. Not sexy. Not sexy at all. 90% of lads I know don't see the attraction, some I know are repulsed, especially by the tweed business suit type shorts. Skirts are much sexier.

It's not all about looking sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Depends. "Sexy" can be a euphemism for just looking good. But then I suppose comfort should be as important as looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Bateman wrote:
    Depends. "Sexy" can be a euphemism for just looking good. But then I suppose comfort should be as important as looking good.

I'm not trying to sidetrack this discussion. I would never equate someone calling a childs outfit "sexy" as meaning the child looked good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Very true. Shorts allow you to show off some leg, while having the comfort of knowing you're not about to inadvertently flash someone.

Apparently cherries are going to be big this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm not trying to sidetrack this discussion. I would never equate someone calling a childs outfit "sexy" as meaning the child looked good.

Well, I presume he meant adults.

What do people think of the rave comeback they're trying to inflict on us? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

White cloaks and mail will be back in, you'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Chainmail is it?

Heaveh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

PINK AND ORANGE will be huge this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

TBH in the summer I pretty much throw trends out the window myself- I tend to replace my bras with funky bikini tops, I wear flipflops non stop, and I wear board shorts (long and short) or light mini skirts with tshirts and string tops... I suppose if youre working an office job where theres some dress code these may not be ideal though! Perfect for me though.. (in the summers im a beach lifeguard :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i've disavowed fashion in protest at the horrible state of menswear for the last few years...

deconstructed pastel cack, pre-stressed denim, pink t-shirts, mullet 2.0...

personally, i'm spending all my cash on vintage dark denim and strong primary colours - none of this washed out metrosexual rubbish...

oh, all over print hoodies are going to make a big splash...

deconstructed pastel cack, pre-stressed denim, pink t-shirts, mullet 2.0...

personally, i'm spending all my cash on vintage dark denim and strong primary colours - none of this washed out metrosexual rubbish...

I HATE the pastel colours too for men. I refuse to put them on my 4 year old son too. Its crazy going into Next and the boys section has pinks, purples there. Its just not right :eek: . He is never going to be a mini metro with a Mam like me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement