Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Songbirds

• 23-02-2007 6:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Are there nocturnal songbirds ? theres this one chap lives in a tree behind my house and he sings all night, like all night long chirpi chirp chirp, I thought birds are supposed to sleep at night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Street lighting and pubic lighting in some rural areas had led to birds (principally Robins and SongThrushes) singing through the night. Recent research has suggested that the extra energy this involves is leading to a shortening of the lives of some birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I often hear birds at night too. There are strong streetlights in the area. In a few months now, you'll hear the dawn chorus starting off at about 4am. A few times I've heard it start and slowly a few more birds beginning to join in. That is lovely to hear.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It must be the streetlights coz I live in countryside and at night around here you could almost hear a pin drop...ping:D

Love the mornings when the birds are singing their hearts out....:) :)

Advertisement