Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neotpia 2247 router for BT DNS problem

Options
  • 23-02-2007 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I configured an eircom netopia router instead of my Zyxel modem last night. All works and just for saftey I even tried to put in both BT DNS .240 .241

Now I can surf but every new page takes about 10 sec to the browser gose from looking up www.google.com to downloading the page. I have tried pinging address and it works after a pause but the timing is still 17ms. Now I have tried some online DNS tests for timing and they come up with a figure of 133ms round trip. This does still not sound too excessive. I have tried using one of eircoms DNS but with the same results. THe old router works as good as always so I really think its something I set up wrong.
    I have set the necessary settings
    PPOE LLC
    etc
    etc
    All these test are done through a wireless link. But that should not make any difference. Skype works as good as always so I think its still a DNS problem

Any body come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

when first setting up router all settings should be made via cable, ie rj45 from network card to lan port on router, disable network connection and then enable wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

Well. I used my cat 5 to get it all working. then reverted to wireless.

I can connect fine and instantly to the router. 192.168.1.254. A ping from the test menu in the router comes back alot faster than through my browser.

I just dont think I've made any serious setup error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

I have confirmed that the problem is router specific. not down to the wireless. In fact if i have the computer do the DNS resolving it works fine. If the router does the resolving with the same DNS server I have to wait 20 sec for each resolve. All ping times come back normal.

ie 1st ping says 17ms but it does not count the 20sec +of pausing before the ping was sent

Advertisement