Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crosshairs level?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I'd get one of these - online or local?

I have a Leupold scope and one of the most annoying things about it is that I can't seem to straighten the crosshairs!

I tried a few places but no luck - google no good either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't you just loosen the tube mount screws slightly and rotate the tube a little to get the hairs vertical/horizontal? Tighten back up afterwards of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Hi Hagar - it's the thing that you fit to the scope with a grid pattern either side - it supposidly lines up the crosshairs so it doesn't look as if you have the rifle canted everytime you put it to your shoulder.

I've tried mini spirit levels on the scope with the rifle in a bench rest and also leveled - still doesn't look right - I can't find the 'sweet spot' :confused:
    Never had this as bad with other rifles or scopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Hi L,

Are you familiar with shooting a square? I find it simple and excellect to align scopes accurately.

you shoot a group onto a gridded target then dial up, say 4" elevation and shoot a second group. Next dail in 4" windage to the left and again repeat the group. follow this by dialing down 4" and placing your group and dialing 4" to the right and shooting your final group. This excercise will show you exactly how well or not the crosshair are lined up. obviously it is important to keep the rifle stationary/upright and rested on a solid surface throughout the operation.
    I find using my Harris Bi-pod and a buttbag do just fine for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Thanks for the replies.
    The Segway Reticle Leveler was what I was looking for - used to be in the shooting mags all the time but even bought gun mart at the weekend and not a sign of it.

I'm going to give it one more go - I leveled the rifle off the dovetail and used a door in the house to allign the cross hairs - this is better:
    I've never trusted the various gizmos for sale that level crosshairs. My method is to clamp the forearm in a padded vise and point the muzzle toward a plumb bob hanging in my basement which is 50 feet away. Using a torpedo level across the ears of the bottom scope ring, I level the action. Placing the scope in the bottom rings, I align the vertical crosshair with the plumb bob. Carefully tightening the top rings down in a crisscross torquing pattern, I tighten the top rings. I constantly keep my eye on the crosshairs and plumb bob, and negate scope roll by tightening the opposite ring. When everything is plumb and square, I install one of the bubble level rings, made by Mounting Solutions Plus, to ensure shooting in the field is without cant. This takes a little longer than some of the quicky devices, but I have confidence my crosshairs are correct. When lying prone in the field, I only have to look at the bubble to ensure there is no cant and take the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

I use a segway reticle leveler also. You can get your cross hairs level but the thing is when you put the rifle to your shoulder is your sight picture or perception of what is level actually level!!!
    Okay this is what I mean. I levelled my cross hairs went to my range I then looked at the bubble on the leveler it was a bit off. So what looks level to the shooter is more important. I kept rotating the scope until my version of level actuall was level. If someone picks up my rifle now and tells me that my scope isnt level I agree with them, then I ask them to put the bubble on the rifle (without letting me see it) and guess what the end result is that my rifle ends up perfectly level. Its almost like calibrating the rifle to suit you. The end result is that long range shots are no longer slightly left or right (for no apparent reason).
    So my rifle is level for me!

I know what you mean ballistic - this is the first scope I've had such a problem with - just cannot get it right.
    I'll sell the scope soon if I can't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

When i was mounting mine i closed my eyes brought the gun to my shoulder until i found my normal shooting position that was comfortable then opened my eyes and rotated the cross hairs till vertial the rifle isnt nessecarily vertical but the cross hairs are when i shoulder it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

thelurcher wrote:
    I know what you mean ballistic - this is the first scope I've had such a problem with - just cannot get it right.
    I'll sell the scope soon if I can't fix it.

Its a head wrecker alright (try scratching the objective of a new schmidt and bender! have to send it back to ****in germany)

Dont try to level the reticle indoors I think it will only confuse the situation, go out and view a target at 100 yds or more.

The other solution is to go to someone whom you consider to be a good rifleman get them to do it and just accept the way way they level it and forget about it.

Thats my advice for what its worth.

Advertisement