Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC

Options
  • 23-02-2007 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am way to out of touch with hardware to build my own machine at the moment.

I saw the recommendation for this hardware in the Parts Thread.

Motherboard:EVGA nForce 680
    CPU :Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
    CPU Cooler :Tuniq Tower 120
    HardDisk :Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB x2
    DVD/CDRW :NEC ND7173 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer LabelFlash ReWriter
    Graphics :BFG GeForce 8800 GTX
    Memory :CellShock 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 PC2-8000C4
    Sound Card :Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
    Case : Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming
    Power Supply :Seasonic S12 600W Silent

I have about 2000 to drop on the box itself so is there anything in that list that could be improved upon ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is your PSU powerful enough? I'm outa touch like yourself so I'm just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah the PSU is fine for one 8800GTX though don't get any ideas about putting in another unless you get a more powerful PSU.

Changes I would make;
    Lose the CellShock 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 PC2-8000C4 RAM this is fairly expensive stuff but it is unnecessary as performance wont change at all in any meaningful way if you use cheaper DDR-2 533 or 667.

Just get 2GB of the cheapest DDR-2 you can get, with the money you save you can put to something more useful like updating the Core 2 E6600 to a E6700.

I'd also budget permitting get the X-Fi Xtreme Music instead of the Audigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

are you saying cheap ram will still be as good?

Im building a pc and am on a tight budget so I could afford to go down a bit on price!

so far I have the:

antec 900
    EVGA nForce-680i SLI
    core two duo 6600
    8800 GTS 320MB
    2 gig pc-6400 corsair ram at €218.00
    250gig hard drive
    dvd burner/reader
    seasonic psu 600watt
    windows xp home

all coming to 1600!

anything there I can skimp on?

To drakonslair what games you play?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

DeafVision as you have a separate thread I'll continue the discussion in their instead of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 drakonslair

Hmm thx for the advice. Changed memory. I dont think cpu power is such an important thing these days so upgrading it wont bother me much.

As for games its mainly WoW/VAnguard with various other ones thrown in. Vanguard is a hog though, its coded so badly you need ridiculus hardware to get any decent performance out of it it seems.

Anyway planning for the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement