Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing/Fascia Question.

Options
  • 23-02-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm in one of the older estates in Greystones and this winter has had a bigger impact than usual. I think the house is 20 years old so it will be a while before you Charlesland folk achieve my level of wear and tear!!! I am just wondering if you know whether I need to get a carpenter or a roofer to repair a fascia board on the gable wall of the house? Also, I want to put a hard surface on the front garden cos I can't face the prospect of skidding down my so-called lawn every morning next winter since the car takes up the whole driveway. I'm going to do something with the back as well so I'm looking for someone that can landscape as well as maybe do the paving or gravel or whatever it is going to end up as. Any advice or suggestions or contacts would be great. Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Maidofthemist, I've taken this out into a thread of its own as you're likely to get a better response.

Astro will no doubt come along with the correct answer shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Well you can get a roofer to deal with the soffit and fascia boards. Think about what you want to repair or replace. Timber requires maintenance, like a coat of paint or so every two years. PVC is popular with little or no maintenance but might not suit certain types of houses.

As for a footpath beside the driveway, a handy man can lay gravel down on some tarpauline (stop the weeds coming up). Otherwise lay paving down but make sure you have a good base and it drains away to prevent ponding.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

Thanks a million Astro ... the fascia thing has been bothering me for about a fortnight and the rain today had me fretting about it again. I'll ring a roofer next week and get it fixed for now ... I probably do need to replace it but it's a semi d so I guess I need to talk to her next door as well ...

Mike ... thanks for the moving the post as well

I can relax with a glass of wine now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

astrofluff wrote:
    Well you can get a roofer to deal with the soffit and fascia boards. Think about what you want to repair or replace. Timber requires maintenance, like a coat of paint or so every two years. PVC is popular with little or no maintenance but might not suit certain types of houses.

As for a footpath beside the driveway, a handy man can lay gravel down on some tarpauline (stop the weeds coming up). Otherwise lay paving down but make sure you have a good base and it drains away to prevent ponding.

Surely you'd use a carpenter to replace/repair soffits and /or fascia?

The PVC option would be ideal if it suits the house but don't get that chav looking fascia with the fancy curves.

Advertisement