Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Datacard V Eircom 1MB

Options
  • 23-02-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have the 3 datacard but am unable to get HSDPA due to area I live in.

I am getting download speeds of 270k at best and am thinking of switching to the Eircom 1MB package as its roughly the same cost. What download speeds should I expect to get from Eircom. I don't want to change unless I was to get a vast improvement.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Eircoms 1mb should give you roughly 100-120kbps download.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thanks - Not the answer I was hoping for ; -(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Speeds would be better with the datacard but pings,reliability and download cap would be better with the dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only peak speed better with datacard. Typical and average speed about 1/5th of 1M DSL when the 3G/HSDPA systems actually have users. Note the Peak speed for datacard is ONE user on sector. With 7 users you get a bit less than 1/10th of peak speed. With more than 7 users it drops more rapidly.

Why wouldn't eircom's 1Mbps DSL give you typically close to 1Mbps?

The contention on datacard is on a much smaller user base and peak capacity. The contention on DSL is on a larger user base.

I'd never consider ever using dataacrd if I had 1Mbps DSL as alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

The eircom 1Mbps package should give you 1Mbps or 100KB/sec or 1000Kbps approximately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement