Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mark IV TDI surging (lagging!)

Options
  • 23-02-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Lads,

I did a search and could not find anything so apologies if this has been asked before. Also i have already replaced my MAF about 3 months ago so im assuming its not that. 98 1.9TDI 110K

Anyway on the way to work this morning (motorway) in fourth and fifth gear at around 2500 to 3000 RPMs the car started to this really weird jerking motion as if I was taking my foot of the accelerator and putting it back on. Now it wasnt quite as violent a motion as if I had done that, Im just trying to describe that it was similar to this kind of motion but a lot smoother. The lag in turbo was also not lasting that long, less than half a second I would imagine. Once I got to about 3000 RPM it stopped doing it, I kept pushing it to see would it come back but between speed of 80 mph and 95 mph, it didnt on any occasion.

I was slowing down and speeding up a few times to test would it keep happening and after about the third time of taking it over the jerking stage it stopped doing it altogether. Anyways, as I got closer to work and I had stopped at a few different traffic lights etc., I hadnt been in fifth gear since the motorway. So just to check again before I went into work, on one of the long stretches in our industrial park I tested again and it was f**cking back! :(
    Just to say this didnt happen from the get-go of my journey this morning, I was about 10 minutes into my journey before it started.

What do you's reckon guys? Common failure? Potentially big problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could be a turbo problem I'd a similar problem before - but the only real way to find out is to have a diagnosis carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Long shot here.. But Dirty fuel or Dirt in the fuel tank ??

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

HungryJoey, I thought it may be that alright because my last fill up was from somewhere that I never fill up with but then would it not be surging at all times and not just when I get to the higher speeds?

Advertisement