Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

0 - 60 in ....

Options
  • 23-02-2007 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Just wondering what kind of time it takes different cars to go from 0-60 in.

I've never timed mine but I'd imagine it'd be around the twenty second mark!

Also anyone tested out their top speed? Again I dont think mine would be breaking any records.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Wasn't this done before? Nevertheless.....

1990 Nissan Micra 1 Litre

0-60: About 15-16 seconds.
    Top Speed: 95mph (never again, it felt like the doors were about to fall of the car with the vibration).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Never timed it myself, but the official figure for my car is 8.8 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The back of most car mags will reveal this info, usually calculated with 2 passengers and a full tank of fuel methinks.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you would never get near the specs, because of the way they do the tests, but
    my mates new car is quoted as 5.6s and it was doable in about 7. They don't use the clutch during the test which isn't advisable if you like your car.

mine is crap at around 12s, but looking at an 8s model at the moment ever since I drove my mates car!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Offical time for mine is....

5.4 seconds, or so they say anyway. Never timed it.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    you would never get near the specs, because of the way they do the tests, but
    my mates new car is quoted as 5.6s and it was doable in about 7. They don't use the clutch during the test which isn't advisable if you like your car.

Funny you mention that. The offical top speed for my car according to the manual is about 88mph, and yet I got higher than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

O-60 time for my last bike was just under 4 seconds ( I sh*t you not). Scared the f*ck out of me on many occasion.

Current one has a 0-60 in about 2 and a half days. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Max_Damage wrote:
    Funny you mention that. The offical top speed for my car according to the manual is about 88mph, and yet I got higher than that.

not sure how they do top speed, was talking really about 0-60..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Max_Damage wrote:

Erm, your speedometer said you were going faster than that, but... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

7.5 in the Mustang,seems a lot faster though. I've done 120mph in it but stopping is scarier.

• Advertisement

You have to do a good standing start, reving it to the sweet spot and sidestepping the clutch. Make the tyres squeel without spinning them too much. Then getting into peak power on each gearchange.

Its pretty bad for your car to be doing it too often.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I thought 60 to 80 speeds were the new thing, i.e. how fast you can overtake someone. I have been in the passenger seat of a Fiat Sciecento (sp?) and seen Audi's & Beemers left standing at the lights, great fun, of course the have to charge past you further down the road to prove they are real men...

smcgiff wrote:
    Erm, your speedometer said you were going faster than that, but... ;)

You're probably right!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I had a model car that would hit 60mph in 3.1 seconds:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We're doing 0-100 km/h these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

unkel wrote:
    We're doing 0-100 km/h these days!
    Thats 62mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

My car is quoted at 8.? seconds but I've never tried it. Too much mechanical sympathy. It's also quoted at 136mph top speed. Had it over the hundred at 5000rpm in top and the red line is 7000rpm, so that seems likely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The 2 people and the tank of gas probably makes sense.

The us spec for mine is 6.9 and the Irish UK spec is 7.6

The 2 people and full tank probably make up the difference ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dyflin wrote:
    Fiat Sciecento (sp?) and seen Audi's & Beemers left standing at the lights, great fun, of course the have to charge past you further down the road to prove they are real men...

Did they realise you were racing them? Maybe they didn't see you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

colm_mcm wrote:
    Did they realise you were racing them? Maybe they didn't see you!

thats the thing with secicentos they would beat a lot of cars to 40mph and then the just die great for town driving:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I miss my biker days ..0 - 60 in about 3 seconds with the wind whistling about your ankles and if you revved harder at 60 you shot to 100 a couple of seconds later

Car acceleration is nothing like the rush of open air and two thin strips of rubber between you and meeting your maker.

Would love to try out a true super car and see what its like by comparison.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

0-60 is listed at 6 secs, but I dare not ever try it, top speed a reputed 156- 308
    The 300zx tt is 5.8 I think, and top speed of 162. Its pretty quick to 60, but astonishing from 60 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

dingding wrote:
    The 2 people and the tank of gas probably makes sense.

The us spec for mine is 6.9 and the Irish UK spec is 7.6

The 2 people and full tank probably make up the difference ??? :confused:

I would think it's more likely due to lower power due to lower octane petrol over there.

Advertisement