Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Don't Like Consoles

Options
  • 23-02-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

To save another thread from what is almost certainly going to be a messy forum brawl I thought I'd start this. You can see the earlier bits of this in the thread about what you hate in games.
    quad_red wrote:
    The quality and breath of games released on a platform have no bearing as to its quality/superiority as a gaming platform?

Yes, exactly. Perhaps a metaphor can explain.

Lets say we're talking about different types of paint brushes. One guy has a single brush, a big fat one. Another guy has lots of brushes, from big to small.

You're arguing that a single brush is better because the guy who was using the single brush was trying really really hard and made a good painting. The fact remains that if he had used the full set of brushes he'd have made an equal or probably better painting because of them. The only reason the guy even bothered trying so hard to make a good painting with such bad equipment was because for some reason Fat Brush Paintings were really popular, so he was trying to cash in.
    You're telling me that NO innovation has come from the console market?

I never said that. I just think that when you compare the two different machines, the PC is clearly superior. If all the money and effort that has been ploughed into consoles in recent years had been put into PC game development, we'd have seen similar innovation and diversification.
    I'd say PC gaming has learned alot from console gaming. Particularly in terms of accessability, ease of play and learning what gamers want.

Yup, building accessability into games is a great thing. You don't need to drastically limit dozens of useful elements to achieve that however.
    You are hopelessly biased.

Uh, am I supposed to be a neutral judge here? I have an opinion, I'm defending it.
    Yes, alot of console games are simpler to pick up than PC games. But 'dumbed down'?

I think "dumbed down" is a good way of describing it. Console games often sacrifice complexity and interest for simplicty.
    Some people want a more accessible and stream lined games experience. They want games tailored to the hardware they've spent their hard earned money on (see Halo 3 etc.).

PC games allow you to tailor a game to precisely the hardware they've spend their hard earned money on. Accessible and streamlined is great, every game should have that, but not at the cost of other benefits such as extra content and customizable performance etc.
    Do you enjoy tweaking the cooler settings on your water cooled fan? Yeah?

No.
    Well some people would just prefer to pick up their joypad and turn Oblivion/Gears of War whatever on without worrying about system requirements/driver issues etc etc etc.

They like it, yes. Because its easier. They lose much for their dumbed down experience. Its why people read tabloids instead of broadsheets. The fact that people like to read crap like the Sun doesn't mean its a good paper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Lets say we're talking about different types of paint brushes. One guy has a single brush, a big fat one. Another guy has lots of brushes, from big to small.

You're arguing that a single brush is better because the guy who was using the single brush was trying really really hard and made a good painting. The fact remains that if he had used the full set of brushes he'd have made an equal or probably better painting because of them. The only reason the guy even bothered trying so hard to make a good painting with such bad equipment was because for some reason Fat Brush Paintings were really popular, so he was trying to cash in.

Okay. Yes. But, say someone -- Jim -- doesn't play games, but would like to. Jim doesn't own a PC or any games console. He's been doing some research and he's come across some PS2 games that he's interested in. Jim thinks about it for a while, and decides that he might enjoy these games more if they came on PC. Perhaps they benefit from user-created content or mouse control. Jim searches for PC versions, but there aren't any. There isn't even anything similar. So, should Jim buy a PS2 and play the games he's interested in or should he buy a PC and not play those games, but be happy in the knowledge that if he could, which he can't, but if he could, they'd be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

In all fariness who gives two f*cks if Zillah likes consoles?

The only people who dismiss consoles are ignorant, stuck up their own hole, geeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Zillah wrote:

oh and about this,,,,, that is pure **** to be honest. how can you say it is like having one or many paintbrushes. how about the fact that consoles have way more support for games. do paintbrushes have exclusive paints to that paintbrush? no!

And at the end of the day is spending a couple of grand on a pc gaming rig really worth it so you can have a some better lighting effects and then have to upgrade again when crysis 2 comes out and have to spend another ridiculous amount... or buy vista so you can play new games on it but oh wait that automatically ignores the older games that wont run on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I only eat steak. In the morning, i chuck a pound of steak in a blender, and have a nice steak smoothie. At lunch, i eat a steak sandwich. Then before bed, ill fry up a massive steak and eat it with a nice cuppa. Why do other foods even exist? Whats the point in them?! Can anyone give me ONE ADVANTAGE other food has over steak??

EDIT
    oh god i just read this bit
    Zillah wrote:
    They like it, yes. Because its easier. They lose much for their dumbed down experience. Its why people read tabloids instead of broadsheets. The fact that people like to read crap like the Sun doesn't mean its a good paper.

Man, if your head was any further up your own arse, the lump in your throat would be your nose. Youre the one getting a dumbed down and crippled gaming experience by ONLY EATING STEAK when theres so much more on the menu, than realistically modelled plasma laser bullets in 'generic unlock hunter 2142'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

What is your arguement? That the PC is a better gaming platform in theory?

Communism worked... in theory.

PC gaming is too expensive. Not enough people have enough money to buy top of the line graphics cards and processors every two years. Therefore there isn't the developer backing because the market is too small.

That's the reality.

Console gaming offers a consistent platform, with product cycles of up to 7 years (PS2). The investment is less than a PC, there are fewer inconsistencies becuase everyone has the same machine and it allows developers to focus on gameplay - not on bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Nobody gives a toss if you don't like consoles/the sun/girls.....people will like consoles for their simplicity and imo they're better and more convenient for some games then PCs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zillah wrote:
    I think "dumbed down" is a good way of describing it. Console games often sacrifice complexity and interest for simplicty.

I find PC games often sacrifice fun for complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I hate when games automatically save everytime you go to a different area.

HA! Now you guys know how it feels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Zillah wrote:
    Yes, exactly. Perhaps a metaphor can explain.

Here's a metaphor for you zillah... Your 'leet' PC is the big fat brush... Each console, that in your ignorance you ignore, is a little brush... Sure the big fat brush paints more, but variety is a concept it just ain't familiar with.

I've had brilliant experiences with PC gaming... But the best... They've always been on a console... of which I own many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

"Its why people read tabloids instead of broadsheets"

console = the sun = dumb
    pc = broadsheet = smart

hmm someone mentioned console haters being up their own asses, too right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yay, great fun! Theres even a few intelligent observations amongst all the personal attacks. You're spoiling me today internet.

Okay. Yes. But, say someone -- Jim -- doesn't play games, but would like to. Jim doesn't own a PC or any games console. He's been doing some research and he's come across some PS2 games that he's interested in. Jim thinks about it for a while, and decides that he might enjoy these games more if they came on PC. Perhaps they benefit from user-created content or mouse control. Jim searches for PC versions, but there aren't any. There isn't even anything similar. So, should Jim buy a PS2 and play the games he's interested in or should he buy a PC and not play those games, but be happy in the knowledge that if he could, which he can't, but if he could, they'd be better?

Of course playing the console game would be better. What I'm saying is that I'd prefer it if consoles didn't exist and all the funding and effort went into making PC gaming even better. In which case he'd be able to play that very game on the PC, with all the incumbent benefits.

Its not going to happen, but I'd certainly like it to happen.
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    In all fariness who gives two f*cks if Zillah likes consoles?

The only people who dismiss consoles are ignorant, stuck up their own hole, geeks.

Excellent point. I really like the part where you insulted the person you disagree with, that was extra-compelling. You should go lobby congress or something.
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    oh and about this,,,,, that is pure **** to be honest. how can you say it is like having one or many paintbrushes. how about the fact that consoles have way more support for games. do paintbrushes have exclusive paints to that paintbrush? no!

You mustn't have read the first post. Thats usually a good place to start with a thread (for future reference). The metaphor was in relation to the technical limitations of the machine, not the industry investment. Like I said, consoles are popular, so investors plow money into them for profit from the masses. But the fact that its popular doesn't mean its superior.
    And at the end of the day is spending a couple of grand on a pc gaming rig really worth it so you can have a some better lighting effects and then have to upgrade again when crysis 2 comes out and have to spend another ridiculous amount... or buy vista so you can play new games on it but oh wait that automatically ignores the older games that wont run on it.

Like I said in the other thread, the main thing I find superior about the PC is the ability to customise with your own additions/settings, or get new/updated content from the publishers, or install mods/expansions from the online community. I don't really give a toss about whether a PC can churn out a billion more dust particle effects or not, such things are relatively minor improvements compared to what I just mentioned.
    0ubliette wrote:
    I only eat steak. In the morning, i chuck a pound of steak in a blender, and have a nice steak smoothie. At lunch, i eat a steak sandwich. Then before bed, ill fry up a massive steak and eat it with a nice cuppa. Why do other foods even exist? Whats the point in them?! Can anyone give me ONE ADVANTAGE other food has over steak??

Like I said, a PC can do everything a console can. A console cannot do everything a PC can.

Therefore, to correct your metaphor, a PS2 is a steak, an XBox is a salad, while PCs are the entire menu. Or least they could be if consoles weren't sucking up so much investment for their inferior product.
    Man, if your head was any further up your own arse, the lump in your throat would be your nose. Youre the one getting a dumbed down and crippled gaming experience by ONLY EATING STEAK when theres so much more on the menu, than realistically modelled plasma laser bullets in 'generic unlock hunter 2142'.

Ah, more insulting. Excellent.

Like I said above, such technical graphical improvements are a fairly minor consideration.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    What is your arguement? That the PC is a better gaming platform in theory?

Communism worked... in theory.

Couldn't your argument be used against anything thats a theory? Like, gravity works in theory, but so did communism...
    PC gaming is too expensive. Not enough people have enough money to buy top of the line graphics cards and processors every two years. Therefore there isn't the developer backing because the market is too small.

That's the reality.

Console gaming offers a consistent platform, with product cycles of up to 7 years (PS2). The investment is less than a PC, there are fewer inconsistencies becuase everyone has the same machine and it allows developers to focus on gameplay - not on bugs.

Quite a good point.

However, were consoles not sucking up so much investment, PC gaming would get it instead, which would make PC gaming more popular, which would allow it to be more profitable, which would mean lowered prices.

Also, if we did away with consoles, all the games would be on a single format that is the equivalent of every other console combined, so you would have access to every game made. To achieve the equivalent with consoles you'd have to buy all of them, which is likely to cost far more than a decent PC.

Again, this isn't a realistic scenario, because people like their consoles for their simplicity. But that simplicity is their only advantage, with lots of downsides.

Note: I just spilled orange juice all over myself. Thought you'd enjoy that.
    Kenny 5 wrote:
    Nobody gives a toss if you don't like consoles/the sun/girls.....people will like consoles for their simplicity and imo they're better and more convenient for some games then PCs.

Well thats just super. "More convenient", perhaps. Better how?
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I find PC games often sacrifice fun for complexity.

Well, not a result of the medium, more the industry. Which could also be applied to my earlier point about the console industry, so I'll retract that and keep my argument on the console as a machine rather than the industry supplying it.
    humanji wrote:
    I hate when games automatically save everytime you go to a different area.

HA! Now you guys know how it feels!

Comic genius :D
    Here's a metaphor for you zillah... Your 'leet' PC is the big fat brush... Each console, that in your ignorance you ignore, is a little brush... Sure the big fat brush paints more, but variety is a concept it just ain't familiar with.

Yes, thats a metaphor. Its not a very good metaphor though. The fact remains that the PC as a medium can do everything a console can do, its just takes a little more knowledge/thinking on the part of the user.

Try to avoid leetspeak by the way, its a little cliched by now.
    I've had brilliant experiences with PC gaming... But the best... They've always been on a console... of which I own many!

Good for you. Your subjective opinion is all the convincing I need! The fact that consoles are inherently limited when compared to PCs means nothing compared to your personal experience.
    parliament wrote:
    "Its why people read tabloids instead of broadsheets"

console = the sun = dumb
    pc = broadsheet = smart

hmm someone mentioned console haters being up their own asses, too right!!

Yes, I'm an arrogant son-of-a-bitch or whatever else you feel like soothing yourself with. That doesn't make my point wrong.

Is anyone actually listening to my reasons for not liking consoles? Is it that I implied people like consoles because they're easier for dumb/technologically ignorant people?

Well, I assure you, if you're reading this now, and like consoles, you're not one of the stupid ones. You're one of the ones that likes consoles for different reasons.

Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dumb/technologically ignorant
    How people continue to equate these two I will never understand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Zillah wrote:
    get new/updated content from the publishers

Xbox 360 can do this!!!

I think you're just in a huff because you've realised that PC gaming is coming to the end of it's life cycle due to the advances in console tech. The generation after the 360/Wii/PS3 will eradicate PC gaming leaving PCs to do the boring tasks of word processing and adding sums in excel.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Xbox 360 can do this!!!

I think you're just in a huff because you've realised that PC gaming is coming to the end of it's life cycle due to the advances in console tech. The generation after the 360/Wii/PS3 will eradicate PC gaming leaving PCs to do the boring tasks of word processing and adding sums in excel.

Actually, the way things are going, they are trying to get consoles and pc's to run in unison, with the console being the front end and the pc doing a lot of the work. That's why they are trying to push the whole media centre thingies on the consoles that you hook up to your pc and stream or copy content from them.

How people continue to equate these two I will never understand...

Thats was an either/or situation. I'm very much aware that they are two entirely seperate things.
    Kenny 5 wrote:
    Xbox 360 can do this!!!

Cool. Step in the right direction certainly. To what extent though? Like, could you download and install a complete mod for a game?

Well, if the next generation of consoles do all the things that I like PCs for then theres no problem. Of course, by the sounds of it they're just making consoles more like PCs...

The generation after the 360/Wii/PS3 will eradicate PC gaming leaving PCs to do the boring tasks of word processing and adding sums in excel.
    Wrong. As long as there is a market for PC gaming, there will be PC games. 7 generations of consoles haven't managed to kill it off, so it won't be happening any time soon either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Zillah wrote:

Like I said, a PC can do everything a console can. A console cannot do everything a PC can.

Therefore, to correct your metaphor, a PS2 is a steak, an XBox is a salad, while PCs are the entire menu. Or least they could be if consoles weren't sucking up so much investment for their inferior product.
    I guess you have the worlds most amazing supercomputer. Heres a test to really put it through its paces, work out the megahurtz and flex those gigabytes. Take the DVD for gears of war, or Zelda: Twilight princess, put it in your PC and see if it'll play either of these AAA games. Report back to me with how it turns out. If your PC is 'everything on the menu', surely they should run fine, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I'd actually agree with most of what you're saying but on the other hand disagree with you completely.
    I'm guessing that your point is based on consoles hypothetically never coming into existence right with all the great developers and games being made for a pc format right?

kinda makes sense but i think you're forgetting alot about how gaiming works and how its become so popular. PC gaming would have never aquired the same popularity as console gaming as its a hell of alot more hassle. Thus the number of great games that have been developed for consoles over the past two decades or so would have (probably) never have materialised as there certainly wouldn't have had the money to do so (due to lack of popularity).
    Which could also be applied to my earlier point about the console industry, so I'll retract that and keep my argument on the console as a machine rather than the industry supplying it.

Gaming has always been all about the industry. Thats where the games come from. To take that out of the arguement makes it all pretty pointless.

Do you think that the PC works well for all genres e.g. platform and say beatemups?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I see where you're coming from Zillah, but the reality is it didn't happen that way, and it's hardly going to change now, consoles are here to stay, it's never going to be PC-only.

By assuming they're "dumbed down" or the gaming equivalent of The Sun (which I most definitely would very strongly disagree with) you're only doing yourself a disservice, and you're missing out on some amazing games by being stubborn.

Kenny 5, are you kidding/trolling, or serious? If you're serious, I don't think I need to even say I really disagree there, PC gaming isn't going anywhere and if one game alone can prove that it's WoW, 8 million subscribers for one game alone. PC gaming may not be as big as consoles in many respects, but you're completely off the mark if you think PCs are only going to be used for "boring tasks of word processing and adding sums in excel" (I really really hope that was a joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Xbox 360 can do this!!!

Hey, the 80's called, they want that paragraph back. I've also got the 90's on hold.

As someone who adores FPS games like FEAR and Half Life 2 as well as god games like Civ 4, I can't see myself dumping my pc anytime soon. No matter how fancy console get, high end pc's will always be ahead in terms of processing power.

Don't get me wrong, I love console gaming too, because unlike some people in this thread I am a fan of good games and care a lot less about what I play them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

amp wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love console gaming too, because unlike some people in this thread I am a fan of good games and care a lot less about what I play them on.

Hi5. It's all about the games, amigo. It's sad that I have to keep repeating this.

0ubliette wrote:
    I guess you have the worlds most amazing supercomputer. Heres a test to really put it through its paces, work out the megahurtz and flex those gigabytes. Take the DVD for gears of war, or Zelda: Twilight princess, put it in your PC and see if it'll play either of these AAA games. Report back to me with how it turns out. If your PC is 'everything on the menu', surely they should run fine, right?

The only reason Gears of War wouldn't work on my PC is because Microsoft deliberately limited it to the XBox for greater profit.
    I'd actually agree with most of what you're saying but on the other hand disagree with you completely.
    I'm guessing that your point is based on consoles hypothetically never coming into existence right with all the great developers and games being made for a pc format right?

I haven't worked out an entire alternate history. I suppose I'd be most happy if all the consoles in the world suddenly vanished and were replaced by gaming-PCs...

But, like I've said before, its not realistic, I'm just saying what I'd really like to happen.
    kinda makes sense but i think you're forgetting alot about how gaiming works and how its become so popular. PC gaming would have never aquired the same popularity as console gaming as its a hell of alot more hassle. Thus the number of great games that have been developed for consoles over the past two decades or so would have (probably) never have materialised as there certainly wouldn't have had the money to do so (due to lack of popularity).

Not neccessarily. If consoles had never existed then PC gaming would almost certainly be more popular than it is now, and while the total gaming industry would be smaller, the PC gaming industry would be bigger/better. It makes sense to me, but unless I did some sort of sociological thesis on the history and development of the gaming industry then I wouldn't feel comfortable asserting anything for definate.
    Gaming has always been all about the industry. Thats where the games come from. To take that out of the arguement makes it all pretty pointless.

Again, I'm talking what my ideal situation would be if I had the magic wand. I don't even mind consoles that much, its just that they're so damn popular that they're bleeding other, more worthwhile endeavours of interest/funding.
    Do you think that the PC works well for all genres e.g. platform and say beatemups?

Thats the best thing about PCs, they're so adaptable. Keyboard/mouse works great for most things but you can easily pop a console style pad in their if you want one for beatemups.

Don't get me started on the travesty of first person shooters on a console pad...

koneko wrote:
    By assuming they're "dumbed down" or the gaming equivalent of The Sun (which I most definitely would very strongly disagree with) you're only doing yourself a disservice, and you're missing out on some amazing games by being stubborn.
    amp wrote:

Oh wow. These two comments just made me realise something. I probably should have been more clear.

Not for a second would I not play a good game just because its on a console. A good game is a good game. What I would do is complain about it on a message board about how it would have been even better if it was developed for PC instead.

What I would do is complain about it on a message board about how it would have been even better if it was developed for PC instead.
    How could you know if it would or wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Zillah wrote:
    However, were consoles not sucking up so much investment, PC gaming would get it instead, which would make PC gaming more popular, which would allow it to be more profitable, which would mean lowered prices.

Lowered prices on bleeding edge PC technology? I can't see that. Not happening. Aside from top-end Graphics cards, which are a somewhat specialist field for gamers, other bleeding edge components are bought by the general public who just want a fast pc. They are still v expensive.

Zillah wrote:
    Also, if we did away with consoles, all the games would be on a single format that is the equivalent of every other console combined, so you would have access to every game made. To achieve the equivalent with consoles you'd have to buy all of them, which is likely to cost far more than a decent PC.

If the PC was the only platform, still with its bleeding edge technology, it couldn't support the gaming industry as we know it. The market would still be too small because the entry price is too high. To combat this, developers could try to appeal to lower spec PCs and increase their market - but when we get to that point aren't we missing the point of your original argument and the advantages of the PC?
    Zillah wrote:
    Again, this isn't a realistic scenario, because people like their consoles for their simplicity. But that simplicity is their only advantage, with lots of downsides.

Advantages of consoles:

1. Cheaper.
    2. Longer cycles.
    3. One platform for all = fewer bugs
    4. Larger market = more developers able to spend more on development (Lost Planet cost $20M to make, and they spent $20M on advertising).

Disadvantages of consoles:

1. PC market quickly passes console market in terms of processing/graphics etc.
    2. Loading from optical disk. PC install to HD, for quicker access.
    3. Mouse input best for FPS / RTS.

Ultimately, however, any platform is only as good as its software, and even though the PC is home to some great games, in my opinion, it is playing 2nd fiddle to consoles and always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Consoles are getting bigger, PCs are getting smaller, television screens are becoming more like monitors, the fact (for some games) you can play on a PC against someone on an Xbox360...

I wouldn't be as foolish as to predict the demise of either PC or Console gaming, but they certainly are becoming closer than ever.

The way PCs are now I wouldn't go near a platformer, racing game, fighting game, or (Wii) Sports game (to keep it current ;)) that was available on the PC.

The way consoles are at the moment I wouldn't buy an FPS or real time strategy (probably my favourite at the moment) game unless I had a mouse.

If it's a good game it's a good game... regardless of what platform it's on.

Everything else is just fanboy-ism.. that's a word.. right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I suppose I'd be most happy if all the consoles in the world suddenly vanished and were replaced by gaming-PCs..
    Heck I'd be too, i could sell all my consoles for a pile of dough! My biggest problems with PC gaming (as stated previously by others) are the expense and the short shelf life, the PS2 gave what 7 years of gaming, that is definately something to marvel at.
    Not neccessarily. If consoles had never existed then PC gaming would almost certainly be more popular than it is now, and while the total gaming industry would be smaller, the PC gaming industry would be bigger/better. It makes sense to me, but unless I did some sort of sociological thesis on the history and development of the gaming industry then I wouldn't feel comfortable asserting anything for definate.

Do you really think that PC gaming would be THAT much more popular though? Do you think that all the great games made for consoles over the past two decades would have came out on PCs? But i suppose as a PC gamer yourself you wouldn't mind that sacrifice if PC gaming had even a little more money in it so HL2 episode 2 might actually get released this year:P

Personally i think there's room for consoles and PC gaming to coexist peacefully without a doubt and that they both cater for different styles/needs of gamers. I don't think that alot of console games are suitable for PCs. I've never using controllers with a pc, beatemups are all about multiplayer which is awkward in pcs (online gaming= lag which would destroy beatemups) PCs will always ahead technologically (though i see the gap receding as graphics get to a stupidly realistic point) but are awful for a quick fix of gaming.

As said by Koneko and amp- Its all about the games thats all that matters, screw techological comparisons. Its the games that show how its done. You could say great console game A would be better done on a PC. I'd say it would have never been done at all on a PC.

Quick question Zillah- how many console games have you played/owned? There are some damn good games in there and you are probably missing out a great deal- unless you hate all non strategy/fps games.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Lowered prices on bleeding edge PC technology? I can't see that. Not happening.

Uh...why not? If the companies are making decent profits they'll pass that onto the consumer to increase sales for even greater profits.
    If the PC was the only platform, still with its bleeding edge technology, it couldn't support the gaming industry as we know it. The market would still be too small because the entry price is too high. To combat this, developers could try to appeal to lower spec PCs and increase their market - but when we get to that point aren't we missing the point of your original argument and the advantages of the PC?

Like I've explained several times already, the graphical improvements and whatnot are a very minor concern, I'm mostly refering to updates/mods/additional content and customisation.
    Advantages of consoles:

I'd draw up my own list but I think you can imagine what it'd be like. May be later but for now I'm running out of energy and would like to go play Supreme Commander :D
    Ultimately, however, any platform is only as good as its software, and even though the PC is home to some great games, in my opinion, it is playing 2nd fiddle to consoles and always will.

Exactly why I'd like if PCs could steal all that shiney console investment.
    How could you know if it would or wouldn't be?

Well, obviously theres lots of games that would be identical. But theres also many that would be greatly improved were they on PC, what with all the fanmade content and publisher support. For example, Oblivion. Vegeta was playing XBox, while most others who use the Elder Scrolls forum were on PC. Vegeta felt horribly left out as we talked about all the different mods and expansions that we were using and customising, adding new models, NPCs, quests, interfaces etc etc etc. He was stuck with the out of the box version and could change nothing.

0ubliette wrote:

Considering these are designed on PC's kind of destroys that point.

• Advertisement

Uh...why not? If the companies are making decent profits they'll pass that onto the consumer to increase sales for even greater profits.
    That can work for markets there are other areas of revenue where the money lost on individual component sales can be recouped. That doesn't happen with PC hardware, but it does with consoles - which is why companies like Microsoft and Nintendo can afford to make losses on initial hardware sales.
    I'm mostly refering to updates/mods/additional content and customisation.
    The fact that consoles are now network enabled and broadband connected means that this is no longer only the domain of the PC. However, console audiences do seem to be less demanding of it, presumably because it is not quite in the traditional mould of console gaming. That will change though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement