Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Don't Like Consoles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

rofl

wow was I was totally misunderstood :rolleyes:

I was trying to make a point about taste. Naturally I would say games are more interesting on a PC because these are the kind of games I'm into so they are more interesting for me. I don't expect people to like them just because I do.

I was'nt saying all games on consoles are button bashing but would I be wrong in saying someone who was into button bashing games would find more enjoyment on a console then a PC?

Plus, whats wrong with button bashing games if your into them??

I still enjoy a game of Streetfighter Alpha 3 every now and then.

I'd even go as far as saying if Apha 3 was on the PS3 and offered online multiplayer play, similar to story mode but the players I was fighting were real. ( in other words I would be put against higher skilled players the further I got) I would seriously consider buying a PS3.

Thats Apha 3 mind you, I know about SF2 on the 360...

But its a fact that the average console gamer hasnt a feckin clue what PC gaming is like and can offer, not an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Cunny-Funt wrote:

But its a fact that the average console gamer hasnt a feckin clue what PC gaming is like and can offer, not an insult.
    If its a fact, then show us the proof, otherwise, no, its not a fact, its your opinion.

So you actually think the average console owner knows the full potential of PC gaming? Would know what a MOD is for example?

LOL

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    So you actually think the average console owner knows the full potential of PC gaming? Would know what a MOD is for example?

LOL

Oh jesus f*cking christ.

And yes, you complete cretin, even before i got a gaming PC i knew what a mod was. And i still know that 90% of them are SH!T.
    Im sorry, this is actually giving me a headache now, im done.

:eek:

hahaha interesting how you seem to get offended by that so easily. I dont understand it tbh its not something someone should be ashamed of tbh. The average console owner has no interest in PC gaming anyways, so why should it be offensive if they dont know much about something they have no interest in.. :confused:

PC gaming isnt advertised much. You really have to either know someone well whos big into PC gaming and never shuts up about it, or actually have an interest in it yourself to know about its full potential..

And btw I never said you were an average console gamer did I?

Your acting as if I said all console gamers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

0ubliette wrote:
    And i still know that 90% of them are SH!T.

The Simpsons one for Doom was fun. But hang on, I no longer play games on my P.C. but use an Xbox and now a 360 so I shouldn't know about that, I obviously overheard some highly intelligent person who only plays games on a P.C. talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Comparing PC gaming to console gaming is like comparing cars to motorbikes except saying that you can have any kind of car but only 3 types of motorbikes. Now for the man who goes out and buys his astra and is comparing it to his friends R1 there's no comparison in terms of performance. But then again for the price of the astra was a lot more than the R1. If the car buyer was on the same budget he'd have a Fiat, and no one wants a Fiat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it's sunny out buy a console or at least get a convertable pc. :D

(This makes more sense than anything else I read on this decaying thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

double post

I came across this thread and thought my opinion might be of interest seeing as i have never owned a console in my life (hmm, does a gameboy sp count? Played it for about 2 months and its now gathering dust.)

Its impossible to say that one format is better than the other. The OP certainly has a point that a PC can do everything a console can but the reverse is not true. However, ease of use and price make consoles the much better option for mass market gaming.

Neither of those concerns actually address quality or preference however. Personally, i cant ever see a console offering me what i want in games. For example, I dont see how its possible for a console to offer the degree of control, finesse and skill required for FPS games or anything like the customisation involved in WoW addons. I dont believe a mod like Counterstrike, Day or Defeat or DotA will EVER arise from the console market (i could well be wrong, but i dont see how its possible.). For me online play is everything and its an area that console gaming is coming to very late in the day and is still playing catch-up (although i have no doubt it will become an even more important part of consoles than it is now)

Those preferences arent for everyone though. Im not really too sure what console gamers want from their games, because im not like that. It doesnt mean that what they want is any less valid than what i want, just different.

The OP is absolutly right that the lions share of gaming money is spent on developing console games, but thats where the lions share of gaming money is spent on purchasing. PC Gaming isnt going anywhere like some people are saying (at least not in the short to medium term). Thats patently a ridiculous statement.

Cliffs: Didnt read whole thread. I dont like consoles either (Preference). Consoles are not as flexible as PC's, Yet more money is spent on them (Fact). This is not A Bad Thing (opinion)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

sprinkles wrote:

Maybe to you. ;)

• Advertisement

SamoZlo wrote:
    and the only really innovate game in that genre (FPS) was relased on... consoles. it's Black. first FPS game which allows you to destroy almost everything

Red faction. Released about 2 years before black?

sprinkles wrote:

Yes if you had said Bugatti Veyron instead of Astra :)

@ Dustaz, agreed. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dustaz wrote:
    Red faction. Released about 2 years before black?

And appeared on Ps2 over a year before the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

On the FPS argument, the Wii offers a truly innovative control system and perhaps the first step forward in FPS controls since mouse look.

*stir stir*

yeah that sounds interesting alright. Ive had a shot of the wii but not played any fps. It deffo sounds a lot better then using a pad. But as good as a mouse/ better then a mouse? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Retr0gamer wrote:
    And appeared on Ps2 over a year before the PC version.

And was still sh1te.
    Cunny-Funt wrote:
    yeah that sounds interesting alright. Ive had a shot of the wii but not played any fps. It deffo sounds a lot better then using a pad. But as good as a mouse/ better then a mouse? I doubt it.

It won't be an improvement over a mouse.

wow I honstly thought there would be at least 3 different posts by now attacking my post and calling me names for my statement on the wii controller :eek: Maybe these ppl only post earlier in the day... Or maybe nintendo fan's aint as 'elitest' as some others :p

Since a lot of people these days are starting to hook up their consoles to their pc's flatscreens. Maybe using the mouse & keyboard on consoles might be a nice way of getting the most out of an FPS. I know a m8 of mine whoes getting a PS3 is planing on doing this, but how well this is supported on the PS3 I dont know..

I'm looking forward to using my old PSONE duel shock on my pc when I get TDU this week :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

With Microsoft announcing it's going to open up XBL to PC gamer's it will be very interesting to see how the PC keyboard/mouse gang fair up against the joypad/joysticks of the 360 users in things like halo.

ntlbell wrote:
    With Microsoft announcing it's going to open up XBL to PC gamer's it will be very interesting to see how the PC keyboard/mouse gang fair up against the joypad/joysticks of the 360 users in things like halo.

It depends on the game but surely any game requiring any degree of accuracy will heavily favor the mouse/kb users.

As to the Wii, i absolutly agree that its a fun/clever/innovative control mechanism. But if you think its going to replace mouse and keyboard for things like FPS games then you are probably playing quake with your old Duck Hunt light gun from the nes :)

Actually, i was just struck with a thought.

Does the fact that PC gamers tend to stick with their games a lot longer than console gamers not say something about the patterns of each type of gamer? For example, for the last 7 years ive mostly only been playing 3 games. Between them Tribes, Counterstrike and WoW have taken the lions share of my gaming time in that period. Although I've played plenty of other games, those 3 just wouldnt go away and part of the attraction is the emergent behaviour inherent in the games. They just keep providing enjoyment well past any console game could hope to.

Now Im pretty sure that most console gamers would much prefer to play a much wider range of games for a few weeks each and then onto the next one. Pick up and play, master, finish all within quite a short amount of time and then its on to the next.

[stir] Does this support the analogy that console games lack real depth as they have a far shorter lifespan? Are they snakes and ladders and naughts and crosses to the PC games Chess and Backgammon? Snap instead of Poker?[/stir]

For me thats what it comes down to with games. Im not for one second suggesting that Im any more intelligent or a better gamer than any console person, but I do like a game that allows me far more time and enjoyment than console games generally offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

[stir] Does this support the analogy that console games lack real depth as they have a far shorter lifespan? Are they snakes and ladders and naughts and crosses to the PC games Chess and Backgammon? Snap instead of Poker?[/stir]

[stir] Or is it because there's a genuine lack of must-play games out on the PC, compared to consoles? [/stir]

It's really down to a question of mentality. I don't have the time or inclination to sit infront of a PC playing 6 hour sessions of Civ or WoW, I'd much rather vegetate on the couch and play some Project Gotham for an hour in the evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Dustaz wrote:

Does the fact that PC gamers tend to stick with their games a lot longer than console gamers not say something about the patterns of each type of gamer? For example, for the last 7 years ive mostly only been playing 3 games. Between them Tribes, Counterstrike and WoW have taken the lions share of my gaming time in that period. Although I've played plenty of other games, those 3 just wouldnt go away and part of the attraction is the emergent behaviour inherent in the games. They just keep providing enjoyment well past any console game could hope to.

Now Im pretty sure that most console gamers would much prefer to play a much wider range of games for a few weeks each and then onto the next one. Pick up and play, master, finish all within quite a short amount of time and then its on to the next.

For me thats what it comes down to with games. Im not for one second suggesting that Im any more intelligent or a better gamer than any console person, but I do like a game that allows me far more time and enjoyment than console games generally offer.

That's pretty much an opinion based post. Any facts to back those statements up as to the lifespan of console games? I'm an ex-PC gamer. I still play the odd RTS but 99 games out 100 are on the Xbox or Xbox360. I've an emulator on the Xbox and one game that gets a massive amount of play with friends is SNES Super Bomberman (that's around 13 years old). Otherwise for online play it's pretty much Halo 2 (2 years old) or Call Of Duty 2 (have that about a year). I don't know if my experiences are standard but I'm not about to give sweeping statements saying one platform is better than the other.
    For me I prefer and get more enjoyment out of the consoles. I used to enjoy PCs more but for me personally I'm not willing to devote the money needed to keep up to date with the latest and greatest games anymore and I don't have the time anymore to become great at every new game out. The console is more social for me. I play against friends on the same screen from the sofa with beer when they come around or online if I'm bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

On the other hand, if that is correct, it means those "console gamers" are playing a wider range of games, instead of just a handful. That is a good thing, I don't see that as a negative, there are a lot of great games out there and they should be enjoyed. I enjoy both, there are longtime faves I come back to time and time again, but on the other hand there are so many great games I want to play aswell, I'm not going to miss out on those to play only one game over and over again. Personally I think playing a range of games and enjoying more that is out there is a good thing, rather than limiting myself to just a handful.

I don't agree that this means they lack depth (the games or gamers), you don't have to play the same game for years for it to have depth (that's longevity, not depth, IMO). The games you mention have longevity from their online play, sometimes console games can have too, it's not as common at the moment, but as you have said before, online play in consoles is still in it's infancy, but even with that there are games like Halo2 that are still hugely popular online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've played Eve for 1 yr and 3 months and the only other game that gets serious playtime is DoD:S. That's it.

Since I got a pc solely to game with (quite a few years back now) I cannot play console games anymore with the exception of something like Monkeyball or Tekken with a group of mates. Console games stress me out with the controls and they usually feel dumbed down compared to a similar pc game....

Plus something nice about a pc is if I want I can stop playing and watch a movie, surf the net and switch games instantly (courtesy of cracks) I can. I play Eve in windowed mode as does everyone.

Dustaz wrote:

In your opinion, sure. Personally, playing nothing but CS for 7 years would make me vomit up my own pelvis. CS is popcorn gaming of the higest order, an hour or so of playing Dust and dust2 and i cant stomach much more. How you survived 7 years on it, ill never know. Dont get me wrong, its a great game, but to suggest that console games are lacking depth and then come out with 7 years of counter strike well...thats just a contradiction in terms. CS has about as much depth as a paddling pool. And if you look at it like this, in the last 7 years if you HAD played anything other than those games, youd have played some of the most inventive games ever seen, Shenmue, grand theft auto 3, FFVII, Resident evil 4, Silent hill series, KOTOR.
    I mean i know where youre coming from, for almost all of 2004 i pretty much solely played battlefield vietnam, but after a year i came to my senses...i jsut couldnt ignore all the other AAA quality gaming that was to be had, instead of shooting faceless goons via the interweb.

0ubliette wrote:
    Personally, playing nothing but CS for 7 years would make me vomit up my own pelvis.

Read my post please. I didnt say i played nothing but cs, i said i played lots of others but the 3 i mentioned were the ones i kept coming back to. Ive played a lot of the games you mentioned. Thought they were alright and didnt go back to them after a while.
    CS is popcorn gaming of the higest order, an hour or so of playing Dust and dust2 and i cant stomach much more. How you survived 7 years on it, ill never know. Dont get me wrong, its a great game, but to suggest that console games are lacking depth and then come out with 7 years of counter strike well...thats just a contradiction in terms. CS has about as much depth as a paddling pool.

See this is probably the difference that im getting at. An hour or so playing Dust and dust2, getting bored and going to play SuperAwesomeGraphics 4 is a console approach i think. Playing CS for a few weeks, joining a team, learning tactics, adjusting tactics after matches with other teams over a few weeks/months, entering competitions, winning, losing, learning new approaches every day - thats what i mean by depth. Maybe depth IS the wrong word, emergent might be a better one. No matter how many times you play Black or Barbie Horse Adventures, your play will not bring out anything new in the game (that last statement is open to misinterpretation, be kind)

Also i guess that what i mean is that for me a game must have an ability to outlive its lifespan as a simple singleplayer 'beat the last boss' type of thing. Not even Deus Ex (as great as it was) provided anything past Do it A Few Ways But Then Its Over type of thing. I admit this type of game is usually limited to online games, but this is exactly the sort of thing that consoles have not been able to provide. Maybe when the online side of consoles mature and they have hard drives and more complex controllers, like say a keyboard and mouse, they will be able to provide that.
    i jsut couldnt ignore all the other [bold]AAA quality gaming[/bold] that was to be had, instead of shooting faceless goons via the interweb.
    I really have to know what this means. It sounds like press release speak.
    On the other hand, if that is correct, it means those "console gamers" are playing a wider range of games, instead of just a handful. That is a good thing, I don't see that as a negative, there are a lot of great games out there and they should be enjoyed.
    Absolutly. I dont think its a bad thing that people play a wider range of games. Thats their thing. What im saying is that consoles cant provide the other type of game, the one that i keep playing consistantly and that gives me something new all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dustaz wrote:
    I admit this type of game is usually limited to online games, but this is exactly the sort of thing that consoles have not been able to provide.
    Halo 2 provided that.

Dustaz wrote:

See this is probably the difference that im getting at. An hour or so playing Dust and dust2, getting bored and going to play SuperAwesomeGraphics 4 is a console approach i think.
    I think youll find its a sane persons approach to gaming. Who in the hell wants to play hour after hour of the same game day after day?? And why, just to prove how 1337 i am? How hardkore my clan is?! Sorry, but the whole clanning thing is jsut so boring to me at this stage. Ive done the team thing, the tactics, the planning, the strategies, and that sh!t jsut isnt fun.Its the antithesis of fun. Shoving an excavating drill through a zombie and using its spinning corpse to kill other zombies in dead rising is my idea of fun.
    And i thought superawesomegraphics 4 was PC only...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The whole argument is a bit pointless really.

It's a bit like arguing over your favourite music and trying to convince someone who doesn't enjoy a band you like to like them.you will fail.

There's pro's and cons to both and these days "next gen" console's are PC's without a Desktop OS.

I agree that there is a lot of games on the PC that have a lot more depth, but in reality there is _nothing_ now stoping gaming companies to create games on the console with more depth it IS a PC.

Personally I left PC gaming behind shortly after the first Unreal Tournament it's just not practical anymore.

Fincially it's a burden constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest proc/ram/GFX Cards you can buy a 360 for less than a lot of the GFX card's alone.

Technically, I've been working in IT for years and playing with computers since the VIC 20 yet I still feel like an idiot trying to get some PC games to work, messing around with drivers clocking cards and proc's I really feel sorry for the average Joe who wants to play a simple game on his PC and has to deal with all this nonsense.

So I think for the average gamer who wants to plug and play and use a gaming console for what they're designed to do and that's have fun a console will always win hands down and my guess is there will be very little a PC can do that a console can't do in a few short years simply because they're PC's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

0ubliette wrote:
    And i thought superawesomegraphics 4 was PC only...

Thye brought it out on the Wii as well. God knows why...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement