Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Don't Like Consoles

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

well this has gone a bit all over the place. Its true that pc games tend to be more in depth imo. I would say the main reason PC gamers play games for alot longer is the online play ( clans communities etc too) I disagree with being due to lack of good pc games though.

CS? imo was good 7 years ago but I fkin hate it now its so..."old" I was a DC fan myself, played it for 2-3 years. then bf2 for a year and a half (never was as good as DC)

But I also played Dues Ex Hl1 + 2 both KOTOR's , played GTA vice city mulitplayer loads aswell for a time. And **** load more SP games.

My fav rpg of all time is FF7. I loved MGS in my console days, played MGS2 and realized how much I moved on though, gameplay wise it was so stale and basic... crazy ass story line though. I loved splinter cell, was discusted when I saw the console version, it was so badly dumbed down it was unreal...

I love my RTS's , from red alert on PS1 to generals and now supremecommander. Then a year ago ive started getting into flight sims.

Theres just nothing that appeals to me on the consoles atm, maybe the ps3 will have something in a year that I might like but untill then I'll still be PC only. Thats just me. Its what I enjoy.

Most ppl like pop music, others like rock.

Most ppl would rather stuff like Bad Boys 2 over films like Apocalypse Now.

Most ppl like consoles, I like PC's. some love both, and the gap is closing between them in terms of gaming difference. So its only a matter of time before I find something appealing about a console again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    I loved splinter cell, was discusted when I saw the console version, it was so badly dumbed down it was unreal...
    You do know they are nearly identical on the PC and consoles.:confused:

Riiiiight so with levels cut down and the cut out parts being replaced with crappy corridors etc was all in my head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You do know they are nearly identical on the PC and consoles.:confused:
    and wasnt sc1 an xbox exclusive at first for a while too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, the XBox was always the lead platform for the Splinter Cell series as far as I'm aware, the Playstation 2 version did suffer from some small tweaks (additions as well as subtractions!) in earlier games, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ntlbell wrote:
    The whole argument is a bit pointless really.

Of course it is, but wouldn't you assume that people who like to spend their free time playing games enjoy pointless endevours?
    ntlbell wrote:
    I really feel sorry for the average Joe who wants to play a simple game on his PC and has to deal with all this nonsense.

This is EXACTLY my point that a lot of console gamers seem to be missing. PC gaming IS more difficult, drivers have to be found, you have to configure each game to your specific machine, you have to budget for upgrades, learn how to build computers, dabble in overclocking... then theirs the community/clan side of gaming, then theirs mods... and so on. How many console gamers who DONT PC game would know anything about AA, AF, HDR or any other number of graphical settings, or would know specific details about the hardware in their console. PC gaming IS HARDER, which means you average joe IS NOT going to invest in or enjoy it, therefore the nice blackbox console where you stick in a DVD press the shiny power button and out pops a game on your TV box, no questions asked, is more appealing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Each to their own is what i say.
    Theres one or two guys on here on this thread and another similar trying to ram their opinions down everyones throats.
    They seem obsessed beyond any form of fanboyism.

If we all had the same tastes and opninions the world would be very boring indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

L31mr0d wrote:
    This is EXACTLY my point that a lot of console gamers seem to be missing. PC gaming IS more difficult, drivers have to be found, you have to configure each game to your specific machine, you have to budget for upgrades, learn how to build computers, dabble in overclocking... then theirs the community/clan side of gaming, then theirs mods... and so on. How many console gamers who DONT PC game would know anything about AA, AF, HDR or any other number of graphical settings, or would know specific details about the hardware in their console. PC gaming IS HARDER, which means you average joe IS NOT going to invest in or enjoy it, therefore the nice blackbox console where you stick in a DVD press the shiny power button and out pops a game on your TV box, no questions asked, is more appealing.

Sorry but what are you talking about?

I cant remember the last time i had to do ANY of that stuff to play a game. I install the game, load it up and play.

Im sure loads of people like to overclock and tweak their settings to kingdom come. I generally just turn the setting bar from "quality" to "speed" (or whatever) if my pc doesnt seem to want to run a game in full settings fast enough.

Where is this idea that you have to have full watercooled overclocking going on to play a game coming from?:confused:

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Riiiiight so with levels cut down and the cut out parts being replaced with crappy corridors etc was all in my head....
    Never played the PS2 version but the Xbox versions are completely identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I love Pc gaming but I also like playing on consoles.

I play games like HL2 online on Pc because with user mods, extra maps etc.., the lifetime is way longer for a game on Pc.

Consoles don't have that so games get older faster. Still a lot of fun but it doesn't last as long as a Pc game.

Pc's are generally better for controls in games (except racing games where you need to buy a wheel for the sim games to be able to control them properly in some cases, think GTR). IMO, Pc does most genres better than console but I have a laptop and don't intend on buying a new one to play the latest games so I got a 360 instead.

I think its just the way the market is going becuase of the popularity of laptops and the decline in sales of desktops. I think people like that consoles are reasonably cheap and easy to hook up to a tv. The PS3 will support keyboard and mouse for some games and I hope more games on all the consoles start to support this so I can enjoy the Pc experience on a console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Sorry, was distracted for a few days from this by having to gank Privateers.
    Oh wow you googled it, great, NOW you can pick holes in ti, without actually, you know, playing the game.

No, I can say theres nothing about it that makes me want to buy a console to play it. Much like theres nothing about paint that makes me want to drink it, even though you might claim it tastes like hot chocalate. Build a bridge. And. Get. Over. It.
    I own a pc and consoles,

Yeah, I have owned and played consoles too. I now have a PC, and dont see the need for a console.
    It seems like the 'broadsheet PC' brigade think that EXTREME GRAFFIX are the be all and end all of games

I dont, some of my favourite games that I still play are years old - tell me Alpha Centuari is "EXTREME GRAFFIX". I roll my eyes when people complain about STALKERs graphics. Id actually say, that the only area in which consoles can compete with PCs, however briefly each generation, is graphics. AI and depth is where PCs pull far, far out in front. Look at Thief 3. It was the console design specs that limited levels to pocket sized areas, not the PC.
    Having said that, some P.C. gamers here are the equivalent of the D4 set, stuck up and snobby with what they have and look down on console gamers with the retarded view that console owners have some sort of mental disability and simply don't understand P.Cs.

Whose being arrogant? Im not, Ive happily enjoyed consoles and some of my favourite games have been played on consoles. Whats wrong with stating that PCs are far and away more powerful and open gaming systems than consoles? Why do you think consoles cost 500 quid and PCs cost 2000 or so? Is it just that PC owners have some sort of mental disability and simply dont understand consoles?
    can 7 years old PC play games that look as good as God of War 2 or Gran Turismo 4?

Can a seven year old console play Civ 4? Rome Total War or M2:TW? So on and so forth. A system not designed to play a game, cant play that game practically by default. Though PCs can emulate consoles to some degree, whilst consoles cant emulate PCs.

Oubliette, do you see what I mean about the "EXTREME GRAPHIX" crowd not being limited to PCs?

Dustaz
    Personally, i cant ever see a console offering me what i want in games.

Yep, nothing Ive seen in console gaming has seemed interesting to me. Look at Halo and Halo 2. Hailed as the pinnacle of console gaming. And theyre just very bad FPS games. Id happily play ancient PC games like System Shock 2 which offer more depth and gaming time than either console title.

Nekkid
    On the FPS argument, the Wii offers a truly innovative control system and perhaps the first step forward in FPS controls since mouse look.

The controller is new I guess, but not the opportunities offered. the Arx Fatalis [Old first person PC RPG] magic system relied on using the mouse to scrawl shapes in rapid succession on screen. Draw an image the the game recognised as a rune, then the next one, then the next in succession until you "dialed" the spell you wanted. Tough and tricky to do without practise, especially under pressure which fitted the spell caster ethos far better than any memorisation or mana point system I've seen.

I'm waiting for something similar on Wii to be hailed as revolutionary and unheard of ever before in the history of gaming. Feck, probably already has happened.
    With Microsoft announcing it's going to open up XBL to PC gamer's it will be very interesting to see how the PC keyboard/mouse gang fair up against the joypad/joysticks of the 360 users in things like halo.

Complete murder. Anyone playing with a joypad will be owned by someone using a mouse/kb. And if there is games where its an advantage to use a joypad, PC users would simply use their joypad.
    [stir] Or is it because there's a genuine lack of must-play games out on the PC, compared to consoles? [/stir]

Hype vs Substance I guess. I can certainly vouch that Gears of War wasnt and isnt a must play game, despite the full blow TV ad campaign.
    No matter how many times you play Black or Barbie Horse Adventures, your play will not bring out anything new in the game (that last statement is open to misinterpretation, be kind)

Dunno, those Barbie Horse Adventures guys are pretty hardcore.
    I cant remember the last time i had to do ANY of that stuff to play a game. I install the game, load it up and play.

Only game Ive had trouble with recently was that Vampire game, which was legendary for its bugs. Thats one out of .....dozens. Thats a ratio Im willing to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Sand wrote:
    Sorry, was distracted for a few days from this by having to gank Privateers.
    and thats where i stopped reading.

My arse, you read on ;)

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    My arse, you read on ;)

he couldn't form a witty enough rebuttal so he decided to take the nugatory approach :D

In all fairness I have to confess that my main reason for disliking consoles is because i'm an electronic engineer by profession. IF there was the option out there to build-it-yourself for every electronic device, i'd do it, rather than just buy your DVD player or TV off a shelf. Computers are revolutionary because they are so openly customizable.

What i'd like to see in the near future is a more modularised console. I fully accept that if you are a PC gamer you will have to spend more money than needed on a system that can do everything when all you want it to do is game. These monolithic console releases should be a thing of the past, they should move over to more customizable consoles where instead of having to buy a new console everyfew years, you can buy new components every few months keeping the flow of gaming graphical performance more frequent and not dependant on the next major release.

L31mr0d wrote:
    they should move over to more customizable consoles where instead of having to buy a new console everyfew years, you can buy new components every few months keeping the flow of gaming graphical performance more frequent and not dependant on the next major release.
    Please god no. A console should be a standard set of hardware untill a successor is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

L31mr0d wrote:

What i'd like to see in the near future is a more modularised console. I fully accept that if you are a PC gamer you will have to spend more money than needed on a system that can do everything when all you want it to do is game. These monolithic console releases should be a thing of the past, they should move over to more customizable consoles where instead of having to buy a new console everyfew years, you can buy new components every few months keeping the flow of gaming graphical performance more frequent and not dependant on the next major release.

Worst idea ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Finally, something 99% of this thread can agree on.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Please god no. A console should be a standard set of hardware untill a successor is released.

why? Its precisely because of this kind of thinking that has taken so long for MS to release Vista. Microsoft themselves admit that modularization is the way forward, making their OS upgradable rather than replaceable.

It might just be simple things like GPU upgrades. Some people might want to buy a console for party games and less performance intensive games, so they could choose the console with a basic GPU for cheaper (the GPU could even be in the form of a cartridge that can easily be taken out and replaced, others who will be buying the highest spec games could invest in the best GPU. Doing it this way would open the console up to a much wider market, catering for PC gamers/builders, console enthusiasts and older console fans who like their retro games/party games but want them to run at 1080p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote:
    why? Its precisely because of this kind of thinking that has taken so long for MS to release Vista. Microsoft themselves admit that modularization is the way forward, making their OS upgradable rather than replaceable.

It might just be simple things like GPU upgrades. Some people might want to buy a console for party games and less performance intensive games, so they could choose the console with a basic GPU for cheaper (the GPU could even be in the form of a cartridge that can easily be taken out and replaced, others who will be buying the highest spec games could invest in the best GPU. Doing it this way would open the console up to a much wider market, catering for PC gamers/builders, console enthusiasts and older console fans who like their retro games/party games but want them to run at 1080p

It's been tried before and it hasn't worked. Remember the complete failures of CD drives like the Mega CD. Also there was the failure of the 32X and even the Ram pack for the N64 had a very low level of penetration (which is why it took me so long to one).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

L31mr0d wrote:

When I buy a game for my five year old Xbox I know it's going to run on my hardware with no messing about. Just put in the game and hit start. I don't want to go into the realm of having to have graphics card X or X amount of RAM or tweak it by turning off options so I can play the game at an acceptable speed. That's why I moved away from PC games.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote:

I must admit I had the very same thought in my head for awhile, but the thing is your picturing what you as a pc gamer would liek in a console. You have to understand this isnt what the console gamer wants, they want things to be simple and basic as opposed to advanced and complicated. Yes you may gain some more gamers from the PC market but you will loose a **** load more from the console market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Make developers have to cater to the lowest common denominator (the lowest spec machine) & still need to work on high-end textures etc for killer rigs?

Bollox to that, just give them 1 piece of hardware they can stretch to breaking point, and you get stuff like God of War II :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Here is the reason I am a console guy.

I like to get home from work, kick back on my comfy couch, fire up my 52 inch HDTV, spark a fat J, and play games.

When I can do that on a PC I will get one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Here is the reason I am a console guy.

I like to get home from work, kick back on my comfy couch, fire up my 52 inch HDTV, spark a fat J, and play games.

When I can do that on a PC I will get one

Welcome to the year 2007 .

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

support the zombie forum

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement