Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Value a Rover 1.1L 1999 - Settle a bet!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Stekelly wrote:
    So he reckoned its worth around a grand and you reckon less than half that, yet feel you can pull some sort of victory if its worth 999 because it falls into the sub €1k price bracket and therefore feel it comes closer to your valuation? YOu lost the arguement, fair and square.

You had to have been there..... things never translate to text properly. The original estimate was much higher than €1k. €1k was a fair middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

It really depends if it's 3-door or 5-door, if it's 5 door then it makes an ideal low cost school run car, with the low tax and insurance and enough space for a bit of shopping on the way home!

Sold a ´97 214 5 door a few years back, gave it to a mate to sell on the kerb outside his house, was hoping for €500 for it, with his brass neck he got €1250! :D

Your mates would need a good valet, industrial strength Fabreeze and some cheap hubcaps and if it's 5 Door €1200 is acheivable on the good old "Kerbside Motors".

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

tbh, any 99 car in relatively tidy condition with a reasonable nct left on it has to be worth at least €1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Taking it a step further, if you had €1000 to spend (along the lines of a Top Gear challenge) would you fork out for a Rover 211 or something else?
    Are the goalposts on wheels here or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

You had to have been there..... things never translate to text properly. The original estimate was much higher than €1k. €1k was a fair middle ground.

erm, i was there rebel, specifically we said between 1 and 2k!!!

Just to calrify to thread readers, how and where this "bet" arose. During a discussion in d'office, I suggested that the car (my car) would get somewhere between 1 and 2k (could be the lower or higher end for all I care), but I reckon it is a fairly reasonable assumption to be made. Note that I am not singing the praises of the car, I am fairly indifferent about it, except to say it was bought from new, and has never given any major probs (apart from dead battery type issues etc).

By the way, its not actually for sale!! this is just a hypothetical type argument, although ranter has suggested he might go out and buy one to prove the point, and another collegue dared me to sell it to "prove" I am right!!:rolleyes:

So, the summary to date is:-

CBG has a number of examples of similar make, model and mileage for sale in excess of 2k (iirc)
    Carzone has a number of examples, again in the range of 2k upwards iirc.
    Posters to this thread, in the main, indicate that it would not be unreasonable to get between 1 and 2 k for the car (with some saying more)

I suspect the opposition in d'office will continue to grasp at straws and find other ways out, but me thinks its fairly conclusive at this stage..

Who wins the bet then ?

Wexfordman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

wexfordman wrote:
    I suggested that the car (my car) would get somewhere between 1 and 2k

Ask the Audience (TM) and my humble self have spoken. The car is worth more than a grand
    wexfordman wrote:
    Who wins the bet then ?

You, Sir!

Advertisement