Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor: windows default settings

Options
  • 23-02-2007 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a new monitor "Dell 20in blah blah " .. when I go to my Win Display Properties settings I have 2 choices on the display drop down menu
    1. Plug and play ....
    2. (Default monitor) ...

I have me a Radeom 256 X1600 card and want to ensure I'm getting the best combo possible ...
    with the plug and play diaplay I only get 60 hz refresh but with option 2. (default Monitor) gives me better settings ...

Yet, and this is the probelm I have, windows won't let me choice display option 2. (defauly Monitor). ...

Am I getting the best combo possible with my monitor and card? How can I get windows to use te default monitor option?

I hope this makes sense ... any ideas let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I have never actually thought about this , but I use the plug and play settings . i would try and change it unless some one here tells you its ok because if you put the refresh rate too high you can brake your moniter.

i think plug and play normally lets you use the moniters max setting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Display 2 does not exist it is a place holder for the secondary output on your graphics card that is currently unused. Should you attach a display to the second output Windows will detect it and present the appropriate configuration options.

Display 1 is your current display if you have an LCD display then it is locked at 60hz refresh rate, refresh rate is not an issue like with CRT displays.

If you bought an Dell LCD display new then it should have come with a basic driver this "driver" provides Windows will a full list of supported resolutions and an ICM colour file for stock colour calibration. Windows will read the EDID of the monitor anyway if no driver is provided and present the various display resolutions it finds.

The biggest issue with LCD displays is not being properly colour calibrated as if properly done it can make a huge difference but doing so requires purchasing not exactly cheap kit and has a large learning curve, you can fiddle with the inbuilt settings of the display to find something you like but other than there is nothing else that needs to be done to an LCD display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

cheers 8T8 ... gotta say I love these boards - full of info ... and someone outthere always gives you the answer ... thanks again :)

Advertisement