Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Knockcroghery Roscommon

Options
  • 23-02-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi there New to all this so please be gentle.I know that the exchange in knockcroghery is enabled so rang eircon to see about broadband and was told my line was not suitable.about 2kilometers from exchange.now i built my house about 2 years ago and had phone line put in underground for about 350 meters from the main line.when eircon connected the phone the guy said there was enough cable for 10 houses yet i am the only one on it.
    the question is how can i get broadband sick of dial up too slow and all that getting sppeds of up to 35kbps on dial up.any suggestions on how to get it would be great.love the site great info on it:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jacktoo

Redreddick have a look at this site http://www.lastmile.ie/coverage.html
    its wireless but covers your area:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Last Mile still have not managed to do a survey/install for us after we signed up a little over a month ago. They aren't charging us but they've never even contacted us.

We contacted them and they said they were waiting for subscribers to come off the mast before connecting us. However they are waiting on the wrong mast and we said that to them and the guy in technical support said he wasn't a technical guy and didn't know anything about that end of things. We know we can line of sight from the other mast but they wouldn't listen to us.

Anyway they are very expensive. If there are other operators in your area go with them if they have a good reputation obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

If you are only 2KM from the exchange then there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to get BB from there.

A few things you can try.

For the next few weeks, unplug everything from the phone sockets in your house except for 1 standard handset. Periodically check the eircom line checker to see if you pass. Things like alarms connected to the phone line, sky boxes connected to the phone line etc can often cause a failure.

Check the speed you can obtain in dial-up with your PC. If you're getting less than 40kbps, then there's something wrong with the line.

Try reporting the line to eircom as faulty. Tell them you hear noise on the line and that it's interfering with your voice calls. They are obliged to investigate fault reports and when they check the line they may well actually find a fault.

Your best bet - if you happen to know any of the local eircom engineers, get them to check the line for you. At 2KM there's no reason why they can't get your line to pass, unless there's a very serious problem with your particular copper pair.

Good luck !!

XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only voice faults. They'll ignore fax / PC problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I used to live in Lecarrow, best of luck. I had a 56k line split with a neighbour. Black enamel bastards, Eircom, not the neighbours, the Kellys are lovely people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Thanks everyone for the info.xda im going to log a fault to eircom today to see what happens.Had problem with line at christmas due to storm and it took them 4 weeks to fix it.There still seems to be a crackling on the line though.Sorry i did not get back to ye till this morning but very p***ed off with dial up.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Best of luck with that...

Ah Knockcroghery - home of the clay pipe, cheap petrol and renovated level crossing gates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Redriddick wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the info.xda im going to log a fault to eircom today to see what happens.Had problem with line at christmas due to storm and it took them 4 weeks to fix it.There still seems to be a crackling on the line though.Sorry i did not get back to ye till this morning but very p***ed off with dial up.:o

Read Eircoms charter and it clearly says that anyone thats waiting for more than 3 working days to get a line fault corrected. (Well 3 working days after the fault is reported) is entitled to claim that months line rental. This one i know as i have claimed on it in the past. So be sure to grab the nearest mobile when you have a fault report to make. Cos the clock for 3 working days starts as soon as its reported.

Just to let you know guys eircon sent out engineer today about an hour ago to fix scratching on line.Really nice guy asked him to check if i could get broadband and he said everything looked good from the exchange so i explained to him that i was trying to get broadband.he then did a test on the line from his mobile and it said there was a fault on it.he went to the box at the back of my house and disconnected all of the house lines from theirs and did the test again.Low and behold it said it was o.k.:D .I was ready to bust a gut.He then connected up just the one for the house phone and tested again and it came back o.k again.He said to ring eircom and try to order again and i did the woman told me my line was not suitable.Told her engineer was out and said line was fine and she asked when he was out long and short of it is that she said it takes 24 hours for it to take effect.Have toes fingers and whatever else crossed waiting to see.Will let everybody know what happens tomorrow:D

HI guys trying line checker now and its still failing what gives?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Redriddick wrote:
    I think the datebase is updated once a month but I'm not sure it's the beginning of the month.

Redriddick wrote:
    The database is updated once a month as far as i Know so i would say do a daily check until it passes' then order ASAP in case theychange their minds :) in the mean time do your research on what company you want to go with

Rang eircom earlier and was told try it in the next few days so heres hoping.Just wondering who to go with. looking for free local and national calls and broadband all in one.recommend any one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Altreab wrote:
    Read Eircoms charter and it clearly says that anyone thats waiting for more than 3 working days to get a line fault corrected. (Well 3 working days after the fault is reported) is entitled to claim that months line rental.
    Yes, but have you ever tried to claim the bloody thing!
    Redriddick wrote:
    Just wondering who to go with. looking for free local and national calls and broadband all in one.recommend any one ?
    Go with BT - but check each and every bill!

Eurorunner wrote:
    Yes, but have you ever tried to claim the bloody thing!

Go with BT - but check each and every bill!
    Yes i DID try to claim it and yes it was credited to my next bill.
    As for BT there service is pretty good BUT the billing department is easily the worst ever i have dealt with.
    Since i got BB from them they have yet to send me a correct Bill!!!

Altreab wrote:
    Read Eircoms charter and it clearly says that anyone thats waiting for more than 3 working days to get a line fault corrected. (Well 3 working days after the fault is reported) is entitled to claim that months line rental. This one i know as i have claimed on it in the past. So be sure to grab the nearest mobile when you have a fault report to make. Cos the clock for 3 working days starts as soon as its reported.

Altreab with regards to eircoms charter i looked for the claim and was told it was an act of god and they could do nothing for.Sent emails and all of that but to no avail.Thanx for letting me know though!

Redriddick wrote:
    Altreab with regards to eircoms charter i looked for the claim and was told it was an act of god and they could do nothing for.Sent emails and all of that but to no avail.Thanx for letting me know though!

The damage itself might have been an act of god ......the failure to fix the problem is a lack of action on Eircoms part. My case was also a storm. A Lightning strike if i recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

You could try http://www.azotel-brisknet.ie They could be coming to your area soon.
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Altreab wrote:
    Yes i DID try to claim it and yes it was credited to my next bill.
    As for BT there service is pretty good BUT the billing department is easily the worst ever i have dealt with.
    Since i got BB from them they have yet to send me a correct Bill!!!

Well, I was subjected to the usual eircon treatment - passed from one 'dept.'to the next. When I eventually pinned someone down, they said they hadnt got the field engineers report (despite the fact that he had been and gone) so they couldnt process the refund. How convenient.

I was busy at the time with other stuff so never got to claim it.

Altreab wrote:
    The damage itself might have been an act of god ......the failure to fix the problem is a lack of action on Eircoms part. My case was also a storm. A Lightning strike if i recall correctly.

I did try everything to get refund off them but they just fobbed me off and got nothing.Rang againtoday to see bout bb and line still failing.They put me through to someone else in customer services and did test (dont know if same test) and still fail.Told them story bout engineer and was told he would pass it on to his supervisor.Getting small bit peeved here feel like emailing rex comb but dont know his address.:(

• Advertisement

Hi guys

Im back again.I had a thread here about two weeks ago about getting broadband.Alas after all my trying i still have not got it.Ringing eircon all the time and being fobbed off until i was talking to a lovely girl in repairs.She has let me know the name of the repair line manager for my area.Tried ringing him several days to no avail juat to be told he is on holidays but got the phone number of the guy filling in for him and rang him.Explained the situation to him and he is to look into it this week so fingers crossed.If nothing happening by thursday will ring him again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Hello,

I'm thinking about moving to Knockcroghery.. Can anyone tell me what the DSL situation is down there?

I know there is Last Mile - but is there actual DSL available? I want to avoid Wireless & definitely Sat. if at all possible.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge / actual experience of DSL around these parts?

We were looking at a few places in the village itself, and another one a bit further on , just a little past Corboley.

Cheers,

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Altreab wrote: »

You should have said you don't believe in god and fictional beings can't cause damage. ;)

Advertisement