Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Install Question

• 23-02-2007 3:38pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Gona install vista tonight or tomorrow.

Trying to figure what problems I'kk have with drivers before I install it.

Whats the easiest way to install it and get the latest drivers?

What drivers cause the most problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Check your machine and hardware is compatible first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

64 bit or 32bit?

if it's 64bit and you use AVG free you'll need to find a new AV solution, i'd recommend Avast home edition which is free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its compatable. Have checked all that.

Its the 32 bit edition.

The only reason I ask is that ATI have released a driver (its 2 days old) for my graphics card so if vista has drivers will it have the correct ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Vista will have stock display drivers that would enable Aero Glass for most DX9 ATI cards but not really ideal for games.

For games install the ATI driver the latest is the Catalyst 7.2

Windows update will find WHQL drivers for most other stuff in the system, though of course some updated drivers are available like at Realteks sites for integrated audio.

Station Drivers is a great place to keep an eye on the latest drivers if there is something in particular you can't find.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

8T8 wrote:
    Vista will have stock display drivers that would enable Aero Glass for most DX9 ATI cards but not really ideal for games.

For games install the ATI driver the latest is the Catalyst 7.2

Windows update will find WHQL drivers for most other stuff in the system, though of course some updated drivers are available like at Realteks sites for integrated audio.

Station Drivers is a great place to keep an eye on the latest drivers if there is something in particular you can't find.

Yeah I was thinking that all right.

The only reason I ask was last time I had to do full instal of xp I had major problems with drivers.

Dont want to have the same problem

• Advertisement

Hardware support is pretty good in Vista out of the box but the inbuilt driver may not always expose the full functionality of the device depending on what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

8T8 wrote:
    Hardware support is pretty good in Vista out of the box but the inbuilt driver may not always expose the full functionality of the device depending on what it is.
    Microsoft released a load of new drivers on the day of the consumer launch. According to Paul Thurrot, the ratio of online drivers to on-disc drivers is in the order of 10,000:1!

It seems HP won't be support equipment older than six or seven years. Bye, bye, Scanjet 2200c :(

Actually in Vista low level stuff like printers, scanners ethernet controllers can use the XP driver in some cases try it and see just point the driver search to the folder of the XP .inf and it may install the driver.

I've seen it work for a few folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

8T8 wrote:
    Actually in Vista low level stuff like printers, scanners ethernet controllers can use the XP driver in some cases try it and see just point the driver search to the folder of the XP .inf and it may install the driver.

I've seen it work for a few folks.
    I did this for a modem. This was before I get broadband. I got the BSoD every time I shut down. For anyone who's interested, it was for the Intel 536 chipset. I've deleted the driver now and haven't been blessed with blue screen since.

On the BSoD note, I hear red is the new blue [in Vista, at least]. Some people have reported getting a Red Screen of Death. Perhaps that was in beta versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ethernet wrote:
    On the BSoD note, I hear red is the new blue [in Vista, at least]. Some people have reported getting a Red Screen of Death. Perhaps that was in beta versions.
    Dropped from beta 1 onwards. Only existed for booting errors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement