Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta Zetec Cambelt interval?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can give me a definite answer on this one - what is the recommended service interval on a timing belt renewal on a 99 Fiesta Zetec 1.25l.

I've googled this and 100k miles seems to be the answer coming up - methinks this is a very long time for a rubber belt!
    Or am I just being overcautious?

Just got the car today, with 64k miles on it - Im amazed at how sweet an engine it really is!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just been on to my friendly Ford dealer and they say Ford recommend every 100k miles, but they guy I spoke to recommends every 60k. He has seen some snap well before 100k. And apparently it's a real uphill struggle to get any warranty - especially as it's 1999.

I've seen plenty of Mondeo belts do 100k.

If you want peace of mind then have it replaced earlier. Personally I'd do it at 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

I was told 100km by my mechanic on my old fiesta. I was not convinced and rang ford to find out but they said the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Hope someone can give me a definite answer on this one - what is the recommended service interval on a timing belt renewal on a 99 Fiesta Zetec 1.25l.

I've googled this and 100k miles seems to be the answer coming up - methinks this is a very long time for a rubber belt!
    Or am I just being overcautious?

Just got the car today, with 64k miles on it - Im amazed at how sweet an engine it really is!

Changed mine around 75k.
    Still miss that car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah it says in the service guide (I have the 1.3 but the book covers all engines) that the Zetec-SE belt should be changed at 100k miles or 10 years - whichever comes first. I think I recall it saying somewhere that it is actually guaranteed for that long as well - not sure about that part.

I don't have to worry about no timing belt - I just have a bag of nails for an engine instead!

Actually, how's your clutch? Mine's on 68k and I sometimes have trouble getting it in 1st and 2nd when it's cold - my mechanic said it could be the pressure plate going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Thanks for the replies lads.

For the sake of a couple of quid, Im going to get it done fairly soon.
    I'd be gutted if something did happen, as the car itself is in mint condition for its year, and the missus is thrilled with it (thats who I bought it for - hopefully I'm off the nagging radar for a few days at least:D ).

@ Zilog, no, there doesnt appear to be any gearchange/clutch problems with it, everything looks good so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Had two different stories from two different Ford dealers when I was looking to get this done - we were at 10 years and 70k when we got it done. I heard at the time that Ford were supporting anyone who suffered breaks before the 10yrs/100k miles but I suspect that it'd be a lot easier for anyone with a FSH than those who didn't have.

Advertisement