Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a License, Simplified.

Options
  • 23-02-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hello all im new to the board, im looking to get into target shooting and I was directed here from elsewhere.

I'm wondering is there any boardmembers who can give me a simple run down on licensing in this country. I've searched the net several times but havent been able to find anything that explains much and likewise the gardai have been fairly tightlipped.

My main question are what sort of restrictions are there are rifles/pistols in this country, is it possible to get a self loading rifle? what about calibre ive read somewhere that apparantly the legislation will allow some quite large calibre weapons, bigger than 7.62 anyway, is this true because I find it hard to believe.
    Aswell as any details on importing and storage would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

e0in wrote:
    My main question are what sort of restrictions are there are rifles/pistols in this country, is it possible to get a self loading rifle?
    In .22lr, sure, the ruger 10/22 is all over the place. In centrefire, well, yes, but it depends enormously on your superintendent and what he's willing to allow. We have had some SLRs licenced here though.
    what about calibre ive read somewhere that apparantly the legislation will allow some quite large calibre weapons, bigger than 7.62 anyway, is this true because I find it hard to believe.
    There isn't a limit on calibre under the law.
    Not yet anyway.
    Again, it depends on your superintendent and what he's willing to licence.

Advertisement